Hi all,

Wondering if upgrading my i7 2600 3.4Ghz to a i7 3770K  would be worth it. I've been doing some research, reading threads, and I wanted to focus on my CPU.  My PC gets hammered pretty good with my sim setup.  I'd upgrade the board (mine is generic) to an Ivy Bridge and upgrade the memory at the same time.  I have a GTX560Ti 2 gig which I'd keep while the 670s keep coming down in price.  What do you think?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I would upgrade it, but you will need to overclock it. You will also not want to buy it from one of the generic computer makers like DELL, because they often remove the overclocking support in the BIOS.

None of the boards I'm looking at it are generic.  How far can you safely push it?  It has an auto "turbo" mode which will push one core up to 3.9.  One thing that I don't want to add monitoring the CPU to my list of things to do while flying.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

I have a gigabyte z77x-ud4h  got it to 4.5 hz in  5 min its very stable ,

turbo mode is for ASUS for OC with out bios , OC should be done in the bios. My experience with ASUS board was negative compare to gigabyte .gigabyte has lots of space for cooler ,2 bios for back up ,reset button etc ..its OC and forget ... 3770k was the best buy that I did ...

I have a gigabyte z77x-ud4h got it to 4.5 hz in 5 min its very stable ,

turbo mode is for ASUS for OC with out bios , OC should be done in the bios. My experience with ASUS board was negative compare to gigabyte .gigabyte has lots of space for cooler ,2 bios for back up ,reset button etc ..its OC and forget ... 3770k was the best buy that I did ...

What does that mean in terms of frame rate and smoothness...any idea?

Gregg Seipp

I would upgrade it, but you will need to overclock it. You will also not want to buy it from one of the generic computer makers like DELL, because they often remove the overclocking support in the BIOS.

Call me biased, but I'm perfectly happy with my Alienware. They actually allow overclocking on their boards. :rolleyes:

fps are not a problem anymore, smooth has butter   now  your limited by fsx OOM  if LOD  is higher then 4.5  and setting max out  wich your probably  do . i am running almost max with bloom and airplane shadow  etc  my quest for better FPS is gone

fps are not a problem anymore, smooth has butter now your limited by fsx OOM if LOD is higher then 4.5 and setting max out wich your probably do . i am running almost max with bloom and airplane shadow etc my quest for better FPS is gone

What did you use for cooling?  Anything special?

Gregg Seipp

coolmaster heatsink hyper 212 push pull fan and it never goes over 59c nothing fancy

LOL...sounds fancy.  My current rig has...a fan...it's black.

Gregg Seipp

1. coolmaster heatsink hyper 212 push pull fan and it never goes over 59c nothing fancy

You got one lucky chip. Mine goes up to 70c with stress testing.

Hi all,

Wondering if upgrading my i7 2600 3.4Ghz to a i7 3770K  would be worth it. I've been doing some research, reading threads, and I wanted to focus on my CPU.  My PC gets hammered pretty good with my sim setup.  I'd upgrade the board (mine is generic) to an Ivy Bridge and upgrade the memory at the same time.  I have a GTX560Ti 2 gig which I'd keep while the 670s keep coming down in price.  What do you think?

Are you not able to overclock your i7 2600 to 4.5 or so?  That seems like the obvious step...

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

If you want a new MB/CPU combo, and have a few extra $$, why not wait a month or two for Haswell? If you really want an Ivy Bridge, I'd still wait  for Haswell release and take advantage of the price reductions that usually occur.

John  Hubbard   MSFS2020 - Win10