Sign in to follow this  
OMGBBQ32

Modifying Weather Themes

Had a quick look at the thread. Comes across as more difficult than it probably is, due to going into the DOS window and command line instructions. But if it all turns out OK, then it's a good thing!

Would be interesting to see if it does work but I'm a tech coward when it comes to playing around with command lines.

The OP says we're free to repost anywhere as long as it's not Avsim. What's he got against this site?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

lol.........not going there...

Meeeeee neither :Shame On You:

@ Scotchegg...

Dunno... jealousy?

@fryerlawrence They get kinda touchy about things like this, and they most likely would see it as "hacking". Remember the post about the level 44 server glitch?

@fryerlawrence They get kinda touchy about things like this, and they most likely would see it as "hacking". Remember the post about the level 44 server glitch?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh..... lol

Yeah... I remember now. :Doh:

I agree wholeheartedly... hacking is very bad. 

His guide is long and more complicated than it needs to be. The weather theme files in Flight were all left as xml files, so he is basically saying to unzip the pak file, modify a weather theme and then rezip it and replace the old one.

Personally I would avoid altering any existing weather themes because it can cause prediction problems in multiplayer when the weather between different players doesn't match. Eventually I should be able to get around to being able to add new weather themes instead of modifying existing ones.

His guide is long and more complicated than it needs to be. The weather theme files in Flight were all left as xml files, so he is basically saying to unzip the pak file, modify a weather theme and then rezip it and replace the old one.

Personally I would avoid altering any existing weather themes because it can cause prediction problems in multiplayer when the weather between different players doesn't match. Eventually I should be able to get around to being able to add new weather themes instead of modifying existing ones.

That would be Amazing. I have always wondered about the weather. Its always felt like flight was especially unfinished in that regard. Where was the lightning? The wet runways.......? I always wondered what happened.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

The devs had finished the wet runways in time for release, but kept that feature out because it looked too strange - slick, shiny wet runways, but the rest of the ground was dry. :lol:

Best regards.

Luis

That would indeed be amazing. Would it also open the door to being able to add new cloud textures, lightning etc. to broaden the type of weather available?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

That would indeed be amazing. Would it also open the door to being able to add new cloud textures, lightning etc. to broaden the type of weather available?

Textures, probably.  Lightning, no.  That would require new code.

Since there's not a single weather theme simulating overcast, I decided to create a custom theme myself with the help of lgrochal's guide:

overcast.jpg

There's also undercast when you are on top of the world Alaska:

undercast.jpg

Here's the xml code, you should be able to replace any existing weather theme with it.

<Weather.Theme>
    <ThemeQMIDLevel>6</ThemeQMIDLevel>
    <ThemeCellQMIDLevel>6</ThemeCellQMIDLevel>
    <Name _id="{E459A1F2-6404-4F66-8A20-1787DFD27A16}">Overcast</Name>
    <Description _id="{5FA33822-D348-4857-AD59-78C5D4F0C637}">Insert Description here</Description>
    <LightingTheme>{97D14601-DD7E-48C5-BA42-617E6A7E9B62}</LightingTheme>
    <Observation>
      <HazeLayer>
        <Visibility>35000.000000</Visibility>
      </HazeLayer>
      <HazeLayer>
        <Altitude>4000.000000</Altitude>
        <Visibility>40000.000000</Visibility>
      </HazeLayer>
      <HazeLayer>
        <Altitude>5000.000000</Altitude>
        <Visibility>100000.000000</Visibility>
      </HazeLayer>
      <CloudLayer>
        <CloudType>CUMULUS</CloudType>
        <Altitude>2000.000000</Altitude>
        <Depth>1000.000000</Depth>
        <CloudCoverage>FEW_1_8</CloudCoverage>
      </CloudLayer>
      <CloudLayer>
        <CloudType>FOG</CloudType>
        <Altitude>3000.000001</Altitude>
        <Depth>1000.000000</Depth>
        <Visibility>1000.000000</Visibility>
      </CloudLayer>
      <CloudLayer>
        <Altitude>15000.000000</Altitude>
        <Depth>100.000000</Depth>
        <CloudType>CIRRUS</CloudType>
        <CloudCoverage>FEW_1_8</CloudCoverage>
        <TurbulenceLevel>LIGHT</TurbulenceLevel>
      </CloudLayer>
      <WindLayer>
        <Speed>6</Speed>
        <Direction>240.000000</Direction>
        <TurbulenceLevel>LIGHT</TurbulenceLevel>
        <Variance>20</Variance>
      </WindLayer>
      <TemperatureLayer>
        <DewPoint>6.000000</DewPoint>
        <Temperature>15</Temperature>
      </TemperatureLayer>
    </Observation>
  </Weather.Theme>

No offense, but the first picture does not look overcast to me. It just looks like the entire sky is just painted grey. The only reason behind this is because there are fair weather clouds in the picture.

No offense, but the first picture does not look overcast to me. It just looks like the entire sky is just painted grey. The only reason behind this is because there are fair weather clouds in the picture.

Yeah, I tried to replicate this sky:

turm-wolkendecke-mit-fabrikwolken-horizo

Cumulus clouds aren't neccessarily fair weather clouds.