Sign in to follow this  
garymcginnis

Screen Flicker During Weather Update

All,

For year(s) now I've been having an issue with a screen flicker issue each time I get a weather update. I finally figured it was tied to when a update would occur in ASE (or so I thought). Since ASE updates every minutes I would get this flicker each minute. I went around and around with ActiveSky's great ticket system to no avail. I then re-installed ASv6.5 and started to accept the lessor product only because it updates every 30-60 minutes. So this resulted in a lot less flickers.

However, I just purchased REX Fs2004 (have had many install issues but that is for another day) and when i tested the REX update, I also got this flicker. Now I've ruled out this issue being an Active Sky issue and now beg, plead, for anyone who knows how to fix the flicker issue that I'm having. I really want to go back to ASE now that I see it isn't an Active Sky only issue.

I proposed this to a good friend of mine who has been in the FS world for years and he has never seen it and suggested I post on avsim.

Below are two videos.....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151665604488179&l=8260370945295283685

REX Weather

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151665614613179&l=3237118916867711636

ASE

Watch closely and notice the flicker. In the REX video is happens around 7 seconds and for ASE it occurs about 1 second in.

Hope someone can help as this is getting nuts!

Thanks,

Gary

Hi,

unfortunately, I have no solution. Just want to say that I have the same problem using FSRealWX (freeware wheather application).

Good luck

Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Try this - it worked for me:

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260.0]

// prevents 2D panel flickers when updating Metar!

RendertoTexture=0

@edetroit

You hide it so well in your videos. That was one reason I figured it was an issue on my end.

@rainerk

I will try that.... if it works  :wub:

But in all seriousness, wasn't that the line of code that was causing some third party add-ons to CTD? Maybe I'm mistaking though. 

I passed this link to Damian at AS as well to watch since he said I was the only person he could recall reporting it. Maybe if more people start bringing it up, he could help us dig for a fix if rainerk's tweak doesn't work.

Gary 

I recall what that is now...... it turns off RendertoTexture. However, I have a lot of DXT3 files. Will this still work for me because of the DXT3 files?

Also, I think the issue I was talking about was PanelasTexture=0 (or something like that).

Thanks,

Gary

I also have a lot of DXT3 files (the majority) but I see no adverse effects.

EDIT: ... and tons of 3rd party sceneries (pay and free)

No joy..... Tried RentertoTexture=0 in my fs9.cfg and also manually turning it off in game, both to no avail. It actually seemed to make the flicker worse for me. There has to be someone out there that has fixed this.

Gary

@edetroit

You hide it so well in your videos. That was one reason I figured it was an issue on my end.

The reason it is not seen in my videos is I record them in two halves.

First half is the departure where I load up the AES real weather....then I shut down AES so no further updates to spoil my departure with flickering (as it is recorded live) and then exterior replays.

Then I do the whole flight again with AES updating all the way until final approach...then I shut down AES so no further updates to spoil my landing with flickering (as I record the landing live) and then exterior replays.

Hi Gary,

In FS9.cfg, in the [Display.Device.] section, add this line:

PanelAsTexture=0

Regards,

Tim

Hi,

thanks Tim. That helped. Can you explain what this parameter does exactly?

Thanks and regards

Harald

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Hi Harald,

I found it in a list of FS9 tweaks years ago, it was one of the graphics performance tweaks:

"By adding the PanelAsTexture line, your performance will even increase specially with 2d panel 3rd party aircraft, it may cause 2-d panels to blank out if you've enabled AA inside FS2004, uncheck AA in fs2004, and enabling AA from your preferred tweaker or your driver display setting."

Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim,

thank you very much.

Harald

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Hi Gary,

In FS9.cfg, in the [Display.Device.] section, add this line:

PanelAsTexture=0

Regards,

Tim

Bloody nora! ....all these years of flight simming and this tweak slipped through my net!!!!

Well it has worked for me. Not only do I owe Hifi simulations an apology for the hard time I have given them but my simming pleasure has gone up by quite a few notches.....in fact my rig is performing better than ever.

Thankyou very much Tim.

Hi

Thanks for the tip.

Unfortunatelly it does not work with  iFly.

When I insert PanelAsTexture=0 in 2D cockpit I have black area instead panels.

And I don't have AA enabled in fs9 settings.

Thanks

Edin