Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

MSE Maryland and Virginia

I found several anomalies centered around the Potomac River glide path to RW 01 at KDCA and want to make sure some other scenery or an installation problem didn't cause these issues.  First of all, I have default scenery showing through at the Maryland side of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge (see photo)

r734e.jpg

I have two Woodrow Wilson bridges.  The new one on the right and the fsx default on the left.  If this is what everyone else has who owns Maryland/Virginia MSE V2, then is there a way to eliminate the default bridge?

i1Kwl.jpg

Here's a view of the scenery on the Virginia side of the Woodrow Wilson bridge.  Appears to be duplicate scenery superimposed over each other and slightly askew.

0hPQ2.jpg

Here's an actual aircraft coming in for a landing that was taken when the MSE photo was made.  Is this really in the MSE Virginia/Maryland scenery?

Oycqi.jpg

Lastly, I was able to land on the Potomac River.  Is this what everyone else is seeing?   I thought major water bodies were water-masked so you could land just like in the default.

mkgjJ.jpg

I also have TropicalSim's KDCAX installed.  However, I have disabled this scenery and the problems still exist.  I disabled MSE Virginia and the problems on the Maryland side still exist.  I disabled Maryland and the problems on the Virginia side still exist.  I changed layering in the Scenery Library by placing Maryland on top of Virginia and vice-versa with no success in fixing these anomalies.  If they are actual anomalies, I hope MegaSceneryEarth will issue a fix sometime in the near future. I can't believe no one else has seen and reported these issues.  It is clearly possible my installations of Maryland and Virginia went awry and I missed a setup and I'm hoping this is the case.  Since it takes a long time to reinstall these sceneries, I thought I would ask here first.  Thanks for any assistance. 

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

Thanks for your observations. I will load up maryland at home again and see if I can replicate these issues. 

The aircraft on approach is likely in the MSE phototextures, yes :)

The other texture issues may just be a result of a watermask anomaly, but I'll check for you as soon as I can.

Dean
Manager - PC Aviator Australia

Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories

I am interested in how this develops as this is my home area.  Since installing MSE Del; Md; Va; and other points west to the Mississippi river I have only passed over this area at higher altitudes than from which I could discern issues like this.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

The other texture issues may just be a result of a watermask anomaly, but I'll check for you as soon as I can.

Thanks!  It's strange it's all in just this one area as I have been looking for other anomalies in Virginia and Maryland.  If the area was watermasked, wouldn't that take care of the aircraft photo in the water? 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks!  It's strange it's all in just this one area as I have been looking for other anomalies in Virginia and Maryland.  If the area was watermasked, wouldn't that take care of the aircraft photo in the water? 

Best regards,

Jim

Jim,

Good point, Yes that aircraft should not be showing if it was watermasked... Unless, there is some kind of reverse/inverse watermask happening there or some other bleed anomaly. First things first though, I will check it out as soon as I can on my system at home and see if I am seeing the same thing. If so, I'll let the developer know who can hopefully fix that with a patch.

Dean
Manager - PC Aviator Australia

Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories

Thanks!  Definitely appreciate the fast responses you are providing!

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Yep, I am seeing some of the same issues.  Funny, I am not seeing that aircraft?  I am at the exact spot looking down.  I am seeing the river half water-masked and half not like your screenie here, but I do not see the aircraft?  Odd?  Even tried it installed alone and with all my other "CD" add-ons.  What I am seeing besides the sub-par water-masking is I can see square gridlines on the water (where it is not masked).  See the same bridge issues too.  Now I know why they call it the Blueridge Mountains, but I did not expect the "blue" to run all the way to the Potomac!  The ground colors are sooooo blue.

All you can tell I am a bit underwhelmed by this series.  I bought Florida and was so-so, many washed out areas, bad water masking, but I kinda was expecting that as they had issues with v1.  But I find Virginia even worse!  The work looks like it is not even had a "go-over" to check for bad areas.  I know, each state is huge but if your gonna charge me up to $50-60 per state (New Mexico $60!), I expect quality work.  If I could return Virginia I would.  I was always "WoW'ed" when I installed MSE v1 areas.   But not with v2.  I have New York too.  Haven't even installed for fear of another disappointment.  :(

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I am seeing the river half water-masked and half not like your screenie here, but I do not see the aircraft? Odd? Even tried it installed alone and with all my other "CD" add-ons

Thanks for the info!  As I recall, if I placed Virginia at a higher priority than Maryland in the Scenery Library, half of the aircraft would disappear.  I'll await details from PCAviator before commenting on watermasking or the lack thereof.  As you can see in my photos, the water is not pretty....

I know, each state is huge but if your gonna charge me up to $50-60 per state (New Mexico $60!), I expect quality work.

Not sure where you got the info that the States cost $50-$60 but I just paid $39.95 for New Mexico and many are at $29.95.  This is MSE V2, not V1 or earlier.  I have been getting a lot of discounts from MegaSceneryEarth and I have actually gotten several products for less than $10.  For instance I just bought 3 States and got a discount of $32.96 which is almost the cost for a State costing $39.95.  The only State I know that cost a lot so far was Texas but, if you have a discount available from MegaSceneryEarth you can even bring that price down.

Thanks for checking and verifying the issues.

Best regards,

Jim

Not sure where you got the info that the States cost $50-$60

Oh wait a minute!  I just saw that you live in California, the tax everything State.  LOL!

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Yea, but I was referring to New Mexico, their latest offering is $59.95 if you order with disks.  That is where I am getting that number.  For Virginia it took something like 12 hours to download and instalI.  Ha!  am actually gonna do a test.  Take a state, create my own hi-res scenery (with night textures) and see how much I can get done in 12 hours. 

Out of curiosity, is there one or so states that stick out to you as their best?  I think I read you were collecting all?

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I have noticed a less-than-pleasant water anomaly on the border of MN and WI right around Hudson.  Basically a large black area right in the middle of the river at the border of these two states. 

Out of curiosity, is there one or so states that stick out to you as their best? I think I read you were collecting all?

So far it's Illinois.  North Carolina looks great too as well as Texas.  With this scenery I have new departures and destinations to fly.  The Houston to Oklahoma City flight is interesting and I have done the KORD to Wichita Mid-Continental (KCIT) flight a couple of times too.  I really enjoy the KORD to KSTL route.  Yes, I'll be getting them all except the Orbx/FTX areas in the Pacific Northwest.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "The Photoreal Scenery Support Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

I think I'm going to have to redownload Maryland/Virginia to see if this issue has been fixed. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Downloaded Maryland again and this time there were more files and the files were larger.  De plane in the Potomac in my OP is gone and the water appears to be mostly masked but still have anomalies on Maryland and Virginia sides of bridge.  It's getting there.  I'll have to download Virginia again to see if there are any 'unannounced' changes to those files.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM