Sign in to follow this  
eryan

2004 will not start up

Hi All:

FS2004 will not start up after I hit the shortcut. It worked just fine last night.

Any ideas?

Thanks...Ed Ryan

Are you using the shortcut from the CD or the fixed shortcut?  If it's the latter one try using the original and see what happens.  If that works, maybe you can then try the fixed shortcut.  Don't know if that will help but it's worth a try.......John

Wow!  If it is SweetFX as the cause for FS9 not to start up, I'm becoming a true non-believer of this cosmetic addon.  I'm reading a lot of threads lately of people having problems after installing this module.  I know a lot of people are very successful after installing it too so I guess one should be very careful when installing this module and read all the instructions that come with it.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Yes try removing and reinstalling. Make sure you reboot after the install and before firing up FS9. I don't know what it does (if anything) but this has worked for me and a few other folk.

I have dabbled around with it but wasn't really that impressed and I noticed a drop in FPS. To be fair I do have a dinosaur of a graphics card (Radeon 4800) so I am probably not getting the most out of the available options.

Cheers

Steve Hall

FS2004 will not start up after I hit the shortcut. It worked just fine last night.

Any ideas?

Have you ran the Flight1 registry tool just in case you have had a registry error. That will effectively cause the FS9.exe to fail when you try to start up. You might also wish to go to the FS9 root folder and click on the executable there, to make sure it is or is not a problem with the shortcut.

Regards,

Mel

I got finally SFX to run with FS9 by updating DirectX 9 runtime library. This doesn't affect DX11, if like me, you have that version; it's quite safe to update the DX9 library.. but get the dll updates from Microsoft's website (Google search easily locates it). I was going to give up with SweetFX, but it makes quite a difference to the sharpness of the sim, so I'll definitely be keeping it now I got it running and tweaked... I have no fall off in fps BTW - I set it at a max of 60fps and usually achieve that just fine, same as before I installed SFX.

Thanks for the suggestions..none worked though.

I have uninstalled and re-installed and rebooted FS2004 three times and when I click on the shortcut icon....the #4 CD lilght blinks but nothing happens and then all quits...any ideas. I cannot figure out why overnight last week it just quit working.

Appreciate your input...Ed

Even though the green light comes on, do you hear the cd spinning in the drive?  Maybe the motor burned out?

You can also try going into your FS2004 main folder and try to open it using the FS9 icon.

Did you try deleting (or renaming) your FS9 config file? I always try this first when I have a problem with the program not loading, FS9 will create a new config when the program loads.

I always keep a backup config file handy and overwrite the existing file with the backup when I can't get the sim to load. This has worked for me pretty well so far.

I think that if there is a problem in that CD4 is not recognised in the drive, FS tells you to put the disc into the CD/DVD tray. If you are not getting that error message then that isn't the problem I would think.

FS also won't start a far as I can remember if it can't find your flight files (the folder with the flt, pln, wx files). If it is not in 'My Documents', FS won't start. As you have reinstalled FS, that probably isn't the issue either, but just check anyway. If your My Documents folder is not in the default location, FS won't start up.

Yes, remove your fs9.cfg file and try again - FS will create a new one. Similarly, just check that you have a scenery.cfg file in the main fs folder. Again, without one, no FS I seem to remember.

Look here for further information (maybe you have already seen this):

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;837195

Martin

Thanks for all the advice but none is working and I have not been able to get FS2004 to run for over a week now. I know it is not the FS2004 disks as I loaded all in my wife's computer and the program ran just fine. Getting REAL FRUSTRATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Questions:

1. Where do I locate the fs9.cfg file

2. Where do I locate the FS9.exe file

3. Flight One registry tool cannot locate the needed file

Any suggestions from anyone? Thanks in advance!

Ed Ryan

The fact that the registry tool cannot locate your FS9 files shows what the problem is. Where is your FS9 root folder? Like me, I guess you didn't opt for the default in the C drive programmes folder.

I assume you are using the registry repair tool, here:

http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

Your fs9.exe file should be in the main FS2004 folder. You should also check that you have a scenery.cfg file there too.

The location of your fs9.cfg file is in a subfolder of 'Documents and Settings' a folder which normally Windows 7 will not allow you to open. The easiest way is to enter this into the Run box on the Start menu. Replace the XXXXXX with your user name:

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXXX\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9

If you have Windows XP, the location should be the same.You can always use search to find it.

Move the fs9.cfg file out of the folder onto the desktop and try to restart fs9 from the exe file. Does that work?

Did you check that the folder Flight Simulator Files is in the My Documents folder? Is your My Documents folder in the default location? If it isn't, FS9 may be looking in the wrong place for it. FS9 won't start if it can't locate that folder. Try moving the My Documents folder (you can always change it again afterwards). Instructions here if you aren't sure how to do this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310147

Martin

Thanks Martin...tried all and no joy! I did notice I have a My Documents File with Flt Sim Files in it at the top of my Windows Explorer screen and another called Eds Documents at the bottom with both having identical files in them.

When I try Registry Repair it does not find the FS9.exe.

Any further ideas? I have uninstalled and re-installed FS2004 and rebooted several times. Like I said, if I load it into my wifes computer (which I cannot keep there) it loads fine and runs fine.

Thanks!