Sign in to follow this  
Guest Paragon

Need some help with how to read a STAR.

Guest Paragon

It's the Modesto Two arrival chart for KSFO. Coming in from Mustang (FMG), it says FL220, now what does this mean? Am I supposed to be at FL220 at FMG or at TROSE intersection? What about the other flight levels on this arrival. It says I'm supposed to be at 11.000 and 250 kts at the CEDES intersection, but the chart also says that i'm should be at 8000 feet just before it...how does that read? Should I be at 8000 ft. at GROAN, 11.000 ft. at Cedes and then 6000 ft. at FAITH?Thanks-Mikkel

Guest Paragon

I hate to bump my own thread, but I really need help to read this STAR correctly. If someone could point me to a site where I can find information on how to do this, or maybe I should ask in another forum, I would really appreciate it.-Mikkel

Guest TWVA395

You should be descending to FL220 after FMG but before your next altitude assignment. It has the altitude in the middle but not at the waypoint. For the GROAN waypoint, you should be told by ATC to cross that at 11,000 feet and 250kias. It is their responsibility to clear you for that. Then continue your descent and arrival as the chart tells your unless ATC tells you something else. I think this is right, but I haven't read a chart in a while.http://www.darkstarorder.com/SigFinal.jpgKen Weik [link:maam.org|MAAM-SIM][link:library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=root&SearchTerm=kenneth+weik&Sort=Added&ScanMode=0&Go=Change+View]My AFCADs

Guest Paragon

Okay, let me see if I have this right. In a FMC I should enter FL220 for the TROSE intersection. FL180 for the Modesto VOR and 8000 feet for the GROAN int., but then I'm supposed to climb to 11000 and 250 KIAS for the CEDES int.?-Mikkel

Guest TWVA395

No. I don't have the chart open, but wherever it says: Expect clearance to cross at 11,000 and 250kias... thats what you should do. After that you can continue your descent as instructed by the chart or the controller.http://www.darkstarorder.com/SigFinal.jpgKen Weik [link:maam.org|MAAM-SIM][link:library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=root&SearchTerm=kenneth+weik&Sort=Added&ScanMode=0&Go=Change+View]My AFCADs

Guest Paragon

Right...I knew that, it's more a question of how to read the other flight level information on the chart. To me it looks like the information reads as if I have to descend and then climb...but like I said I don't have a clue. :)-Mikkel

Mikkel;The altitudes are MEA between fixes. Not lower than FL220 FMG toTROSE,then no lower than FL180 to MOD.MEA from MOD to CEDES is 8000ft,however you're advised to EXPECTinstruction to descend so as to cross CEDES at 11,000ft.Minimum Enroute Altitude CEDES to FAITH is 6000ft but you could beasigned an alt HIGHER than this.Hope this helps!DN

Replying to my own post;Perhaps I should have used MDA..Minimum Descent Altitude insteadof MEA since its a terminal procedure. Its minimum altitude regardless:-doh DN

Guest Paragon

Aha...see that makes sense. Thank you. :)