Sign in to follow this  
SirStiggie

Crash to Disk - Only in DX10 Preview

Right, so my system is crashing to disk with the following message in the event viewer:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14
Faulting module name: d3d11.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16492, time stamp: 0x50f31443
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000a4e06
Faulting process id: 0x1a60
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce51c6df5a3466
Faulting application path: C:\games\fsx\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\d3d11.dll
Report Id: e38f76a7-bdbe-11e2-9b5c-3c970e67be26

The strange thing is that it only crashes in DX10 Preview which is really annoying.

I've searched the forums and found lots of FSX crashes on other modules but not on d3d11.dll.

Any help would be appreciated.

I do not know why FSX would crash because of d3d11 (DirectX 11).  FSX is not compatible yet with DX11 and only DX10.  Maybe you got rid of your DX10 dll?  I would reinstall the latest version of DirectX.  If you want I can analyze this further if you download and run AppCrashView - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html then copy and paste the results here but I do believe it's a corrupt DirectX and/or your video card drivers.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I do not know why FSX would crash because of d3d11 (DirectX 11).  FSX is not compatible yet with DX11 and only DX10.  Maybe you got rid of your DX10 dll?  I would reinstall the latest version of DirectX.  If you want I can analyze this further if you download and run AppCrashView - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html then copy and paste the results here but I do believe it's a corrupt DirectX and/or your video card drivers.

Best regards,

Jim

I'll check but I can't recall deleting any file on the machine. I'll download and run that app and post the results. I will install the latest nVidia drivers as well and see what happen.

Thanks!!

I've done more research on this and it appears you have a setting for your NVidia Quadro K2000M that might be conflicting with your DX10 environment.  You might try resetting your display drivers to the default and see if that works (if reinstalling the drivers do not work).

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I've done more research on this and it appears you have a setting for your NVidia Quadro K2000M that might be conflicting with your DX10 environment.  You might try resetting your display drivers to the default and see if that works (if reinstalling the drivers do not work).

Best regards,

Jim

I've been thinking along those lines and you may be right. I have been using the latest nVidia performance driver for the card but I will download the OEM driver from Lenovo and see if that makes a difference.

Could you say what the conflicting setting is?

Here's a link to a post I found where the guy had done everything, like cleaning the registry, reinstalling the video card drivers, downloading and reinstalling the latest DirectX, running sfc /scannow to look for corrupted system files, overheating, overclocking issues, etc., then one person recommended changing a setting in the ATI video card settings and that fixed the problem (I know you have a NVidia card) - http://www.hitmanforum.com/index.php/topic/57413-resolved-hitman-random-crash-with-d3d11dll/.  I did a search on Google for d3d11.dll crash and came up with a lot of hits.  I really do not think this is a FSX DX10 or FSX problem but a problem external to FSX.  I could be wrong but the people who have fixed this problem have found a solution external to the game they were playing.  Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

I've searched the forums and found lots of FSX crashes on other modules but not on d3d11.dll.

According to this SweetFX link in the FSX forums, the problem is caused by SweetFX - http://forum.avsim.net/topic/389455-have-any-of-you-tried-this-sweetfx/page-16.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Played around with SweetFX and it appears it is, indeed, the problem. Once its disabled, I have no CTD's. 

Could it be a corrupt SweetFX file causing this?

I have been having the same problem (d3d11.dll crashes), and I came across this:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/7670/discussions/0/828934913244739166

I have uninstalled windows update KB2670838 and doing a flight to check now, and so far it looks good. Before I would crash more or less at the same point every test flight, but now I have passed it a long time ago. I am also using SweetFX btw and still have it enabled.

Maybe worth a shot?

Kay Morten Magelie no.png

I have been having the same problem (d3d11.dll crashes), and I came across this:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/7670/discussions/0/828934913244739166

I have uninstalled windows update KB2670838 and doing a flight to check now, and so far it looks good. Before I would crash more or less at the same point every test flight, but now I have passed it a long time ago. I am also using SweetFX btw and still have it enabled.

Maybe worth a shot?

Kay,

Thanks for the info. I uninstalled that update and will be testing tonight.

I'm tentatively calling this problem solved. I did a series of flights over 90 minutes with no CTD. My FSX also did not CTD when exiting.

Thanks for the info Kay!!

No worries, glad it helped. :)

I have also not experienced any CTD after uninstalling that update.

Kay Morten Magelie no.png

Oh man, i couldn't find the answer with google on this problem, so i am so happy with this forumpost. I also have Sweet FX and i ive ran FSX in dx10 mode for a couple of weeks already, but only noticed about 2 weeks ago that the crashing was pesistent. It doesn't always happen. I already tried replacing the D3D11.DLL's etc... 

But if i understand you correctly, you only need to uninstall that Win-update and you can still use SweetFX? I really hope so, i'll try right now!

Edit: Ok, so that should do the trick indeed, just read another topic on this.