Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Changing unrealistic (?) fuel flow

I am flying what in the real world is Singapore Airlines SQ22 - the longest non-stop commercial route I believe, Singapore to New York (over the North Pole).

The real-world flight uses an A340-500. My FS9 A340-500 is going to run out of fuel long before we get to NY, even though it left with tanks pretty much 100% full. Other than just adding fuel half-way via the FS9 menu bar, to make the fuel consumption more realistic, can I just change the value of fuel_flow_scalar in the aircraft.cfg file? It is at 0.500 already. If I change fuel_flow_scalar to a really low value, like 0.200, are there going to be any negative knock-on effects, or will it just decrease fuel burn and so increase the range? Anything else I can do?

It may be that I have too much fuel on board at take-off - I know aircraft can take more than 100,000lbs of fuel even to carry the last 100,00lbs or so the tanks will hold, i.e. filling the tanks to capacity can actually reduce the aircraft's range. That's certainly the case when I fly a PMDG 747-400, but I doubt that that is the case with my A340s somehow.

Thanks.

Keep in mind that the Singapore A345 only seats 100 passengers so I doubt the payload is maxed out. 

Just a lowly FS9'er. 

I did reduce the payload very significantly, but I am not sure that would ever be enough. I still have over seven hours to fly to Newark and my fuel is now at 27% !