Sign in to follow this  
HUSSAR

Getting spammed to death! Can use some help.

I Just recently began receiving spam for credit reports, free money, mortgage renewals etc. in the order of 15-20 spam emails per day usually between Monday and Friday.  

I have thought of cancelling my email address with my ISP and use a new one but that means having to notify all my contacts and changing my email address with websites that I have registered on.  

Can anyone suggest a way to deal with this, I will look into a spam filter for use with MS Outlook in the meantime.

Thanks,

Robert

\Robert Hamlich/

The only way that I know of, is to either change your primary email and notify all as you say you must, and also (most IP's allow for up to 3 email addresses) create two more that you might wish to use for a one-time interchange, or if a site requests that you must supply an email address, and you feel there could be some spamming in the future coming your way. If so, you could merely delete that secondary address and create a replacement, sort of like how a reptile sheds it skin, lol.  You should only use your primary with the most trusted accounts and sites.  A suggestion...

Use gmail and you will never see a piece of spam again. Seriously.

+1

Been using it for years, and I haven't seen one single bit of spam!

Use gmail and you will never see a piece of spam again. Seriously.

The only downside to GMAIL is that Google mechanically parses and snoops every keyboard tap within your post. They use this to direct marketing towards you. You agree to this in the licence. This has been going on for about 2 years. With an ISP address this is usually not the case of outright monitoring of what you type, and then the usage for marketing and push. I like GMAIL too, but do NOT like what Google has decided to do with it.

They use this to direct marketing towards you.

Not all bad, may be better to get ads for things you want than see ads for items you have no interest in.

John  Hubbard   MSFS2020 - Win10                    

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I will consider all your suggestions and see what happens.

Much appreciated,

Robert

\Robert Hamlich/

I've been with Gmail since 2004 and they used to be really bad for spam until about 2 years ago, but even then their filtering systems made it easy to automatically delete junk mail as soon as it hit your inbox. But in the last couple of years even the filters aren't needed anymore and I rarely see any spam at all now, perhaps 2 or 3 a week at most.

As for usual BS scaremongering saying that Google scans all your mail, it does but a human never gets to read it and its never stored or read anywhere but in your inbox and the ad's are only shown to you, so what does it matter. It's no different that every site you have ever visited on the internet tracking what you do there when you browse a site. You should be more worried about what your government is doing with your online data not Google.

Cheers, Andy.

I am trying out the free version of CloudMark and I am happy with how seamlessly it runs with my email program, so far so good.

\Robert Hamlich/

Not all bad, may be better to get ads for things you want than see ads for items you have no interest in.

Bingo. If I'm going to be advertised at, I'd prefer that the ads are at least mildly interesting.

I had a problem with spam going to my ISP account (having stupidly used it to register a domain), so I signed up with GMail and set up Gmail to collect the mail from my ISP inbox and deliver it to my Gmail inbox minus the spam. When I send a message from GMail, I have the option of sending as my GMail identity or my ISP identity. Best of both worlds.