Sign in to follow this  
Jeff_B

Elec Hyd pumps - when to turn on

Hi all,  have watched several cockpit dvd's on the NG and i following various flows/tutorials for the NGX - question is in the  flows/tutorials before engine start calls for Elec Hyd pumps to be turned on.  After watching real life cockpit action they have been turned on after engine start - does it matter (obviously it doesnt if they do it) but what is normal practice or would it be different SOP's for diff airlines?

Yeah some airlines leave them off until after engine start , some leave the A side off until the pushback tug disconnects. Would be cool if a some RW's could chime in , it's a fascinating subject.

Eric W

Cheers, thought it was interesting when i noticed it on some vids. Hopefully here from some RW's as you say.

At American we turn them on just before pushback.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

As with Tom, during the Before Engine Start scan, this is assuming either a pushback is not required or that the steering bypass pin is in-place in the nose wheel to isolate the nosewheel steering from System B. I have never done a pushback without the pin, but if I did only ELEC 1 (system B) could be switched on.

Isn't NWS part of Hydraulic System A?

Isn't NWS part of Hydraulic System A?

Yes it is, thanks Thomas. My post looks a bit screwy, I obviously just typed some random crap and pressed Post! :D

We do it before we request push back and start clearance.

We coordinate with ground engineer to make sure that all control surfaces are clear of people before we turn on the pumps and pressurise the hydraulic system. 

We don't turn off the A system as we use the bypass pin which de-pressurises the nose wheel do it can be turned by the tug.