Sign in to follow this  
Knoxpilot

TBM 850 Review

?? RW pilot Seth said it was one of the best ..  and pretty close to the real TBM.

umm, he doesn't sound too please with it to me...and I quote from Seth:

"She's pretty much nothing more than some very well organized pixels"

Carenado should get Bernt to do the FDE, and Flight1 for their G1000 simulation, then they will make one masterpiece after another. Of course, that would make the addon much more expensive than 39 dollars.

Alexis Mefano

Carenado should get Bernt to do the FDE, and Flight1 for their G1000 simulation, then they will make one masterpiece after another. Of course, that would make the addon much more expensive than 39 dollars.

I have no problem paying more for it IF it works properly. This is why PMDG can charge the prices they do as, with few exceptions, their stuff works.

I'm thinking that for the G1000, maybe what we need is a very accurate, third party, complete G1000 that's re-programmable like the real one so it can fit in any aircraft. This would of course be very expensive, but those who really want it would only have to buy it once. Most of the functionality of the real G1000 is in the software, and an FS version would have to replicate the software to the same standard as the real version, which doesn't exactly cost $39.99...,

Either that, or each developer would have to implement their own complete G1000, which is a very complex and time consuming task, then offer it as an "add-on" to the base add-on. This is because *many* of Carenado's customers don't care about this kind of deep functionality. The current G1000 is already more complex than any IFR "steam" panel like the C337. So those who only want the base package would pay e.g. $25, and then those who want the full G1000 would buy it separately for e.g. $60.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I could see using this model for air work and practice approaches, but as an accurate cockpit procedural training device, it leaves a lot to be desired

I'm just amazed that anyone expects a $40 Carenado aircraft to be anything other than entertainment. Why expect it to be an accurate procedural training device? Is it actually marketed as such?

Best

Dave

Intel I7-4770 3.4Ghz
16 Gb RAM
nVidia GTX770 2Gb
Windows 8.1 64 bit
P3D 4.4/3.4 FSX SE

I'm just amazed that anyone expects a $40 Carenado aircraft to be anything other than entertainment. Why expect it to be an accurate procedural training device? Is it actually marketed as such?

Best

Dave

Yeah, just checked - Elite IFR Training simulator starts at $199 and goes up to $499 for the Premium version. That's probably what you want to be looking at if you want to train actual procedures, not just fly around and enjoy pretty scenery.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

My little review:

Long story short: It looks good, but performance after a second closer look and some testing with fraps is worse than their Malibu and also their 182T.

Resolution of the MFD makes you think that you need glasses.

As with their 182T I also get an extreme FPS hit with the TBM when using the map on the MFD. This is NOT the case with several other G1000 planes I have like the Flight1 Mustang, Feelthere Phenom 100, Quest Kodiak and more. There is only a small hit. Also for example with their Carenado Malibu with g500, 2 x gps, weather radar and all 5 displays including map activated or all except the pfd turned off the difference in fps is minimal.

Now after I spend the money and see it for myself I must admit that I am somewaht shocked that they don't even got the speed right. I mean come on... the 850 is about SPEED and they don't even get this very obvious thing right? That plus all the little bugs and flaws with the G1000 and FDE. Eveything appears to be rushed.

I wouldn't even expect a perfect G1000 for that price. But for sure I would expect a limited G1000 in an otherwise high quality product for that price...

I already resisted some of their releases in the last year even though I was interested in having such a plane in my collection (both KingAirs for example).

Now I wait and hope for the service packs...and not even to fix all the problems...only to make it at least a bit better...before they abandon the product....like always with Carenado

I think this will finally be my last Carenado for a long time or until I hear that they changed their attitude towards quality.

My little review:

Long story short: It looks good, but performance after a second closer look and some testing with fraps is worse than their Malibu and also their 182T.

Resolution of the MFD makes you think that you need glasses.

As with their 182T I also get an extreme FPS hit with the TBM when using the map on the MFD. This is NOT the case with several other G1000 planes I have like the Flight1 Mustang, Feelthere Phenom 100, Quest Kodiak and more. There is only a small hit. Also for example with their Carenado Malibu with g500, 2 x gps, weather radar and all 5 displays including map activated or all except the pfd turned off the difference in fps is minimal.

Now after I spend the money and see it for myself I must admit that I am somewaht shocked that they don't even got the speed right. I mean come on... the 850 is about SPEED and they don't even get this very obvious thing right? That plus all the little bugs and flaws with the G1000 and FDE. Eveything appears to be rushed.

I wouldn't even expect a perfect G1000 for that price. But for sure I would expect a limited G1000 in an otherwise high quality product for that price...

I already resisted some of their releases in the last year even though I was interested in having such a plane in my collection (both KingAirs for example).

Now I wait and hope for the service packs...and not even to fix all the problems...only to make it at least a bit better...before they abandon the product....like always with Carenado

I think this will finally be my last Carenado for a long time or until I hear that they changed their attitude towards quality.

The 337 is a pretty sweet airplane and the C90 is also pretty good.

As for the TBM,  hopefully a service pack is released soon to fix all these problems.

The 337 is a pretty sweet airplane and the C90 is also pretty good.

As for the TBM,  hopefully a service pack is released soon to fix all these problems.

I'm pretty sure Carenado will release a service pack--whether they will address the cruise speed issue without making the flight profile worse is hard to say.  I also wonder what the stall speed is for the 850 in real life.  I can get it down to around 60 kts before landing, and it still doesn't stall.

John

I'm just amazed that anyone expects a $40 Carenado aircraft to be anything other than entertainment. Why expect it to be an accurate procedural training device?

I'm a bit surprised someone wouldn't expect good accuracy for $40.  Others do it very well at similar prices, and here's what Carenado themselves say in their marketing materials: "Real behavior compared to the real airplane. Real weight and balance. Tested by real pilots."   Among a host of other features.

Yes, I'd expect to pay (and would willingly pay) more for a more complete G1000, or more for a solution equivalent to what the RXP gauges provide for the 430/530 that could be used across a variety of planes.  But for $40, I do expect a good flight model and switches and annunciators that do what they say.

Before we get too excited, though, let's see what happens with service packs.

Scott

• Upvote 1

Best

Dave

Don't get me wrong.  I don't expect the same experience that I get from my Flight Safety or SimCom training.  FSX was designed with entertainment as the general motive, nonetheless, it's still a SIMULATOR.  If I wanted pure entertainment with no simulation, I'll fly Ace Combat on my Xbox  :lol:   I don't expect perfection with any FSX aircraft but I do expect a reasonable amount of immersion from a company that claims that their product was tested by real world TBM pilots.  I also have certain expectations from a company that has previously released pretty decent airplanes.  I always considered Carenado in the same league as Eaglesoft and Flight 1, but if they don't start focusing on what they do well, instead of trying to rehash and release, I'm afraid that they will be  going down the Abacus road  :wacko:​

tested by real world TBM pilots

I'd note that they didn't say it was tested by real 'TBM' pilots'...

Real behavior compared to the real airplane. Real weight and balance. Tested by real pilots.

Might have been a C-152 pilot. 

I'm afraid that they will be going down the Abacus road.

Gulp...though the thought has crossed my mind that they could partner with someone who makes systems well.  When someone posted a thread recently about what companies might merge, they crossed my mind.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Had a lot of fun flying the '850 today using the default aircraft.cfg and one mod to the .air file.  With my .air file mod (made with AirEd) I am getting 320 KTAS @ FL260 with a fuel burn of 66 gph, on par with the published specs for the '850 at that altitude.

For those with AirEd, the mod I made was made to record 1101 (Primary Aerodynamics - Fuse Drag Coeff at Zero Lift).  I changed the value from 51 to 35.  I prefer this vs. tweaking the prop thrust as the aircraft doesn't climb like a rocket.  Also, it's fairly easy to keep an 85 KT approach speed with full flaps and a glideslope of approx. 3 degrees.

Tweaking .air files isn't for everyone but AirEd (with its latest offset file) makes fairly easy work of it (backup first if you want to try the mod out).

AirEd can be found here:

http://simviation.com/simviation/download.php?ID=5895

This seems to be the most recent version--I don't know if it is as recent as mine.  Since the .air file is copyrighted I cannot distribute it, only explain how the change was done.

Regards,

John

• Upvote 2

Had a lot of fun flying the '850 today using the default aircraft.cfg and one mod to the .air file.  With my .air file mod (made with AirEd) I am getting 320 KTAS @ FL260 with a fuel burn of 66 gph, on par with the published specs for the '850 at that altitude.

For those with AirEd, the mod I made was made to record 1101 (Primary Aerodynamics - Fuse Drag Coeff at Zero Lift).  I changed the value from 51 to 35.  I prefer this vs. tweaking the prop thrust as the aircraft doesn't climb like a rocket.  Also, it's fairly easy to keep an 85 KT approach speed with full flaps and a glideslope of approx. 3 degrees.

Tweaking .air files isn't for everyone but AirEd (with its latest offset file) makes fairly easy work of it (backup first if you want to try the mod out).

AirEd can be found here:

http://simviation.com/simviation/download.php?ID=5895

This seems to be the most recent version--I don't know if it is as recent as mine.  Since the .air file is copyrighted I cannot distribute it, only explain how the change was done.

Regards,

John

John,

Thanks for this tip. it worked like a charm for me, at least for the time it took to climb to FL260 and fly level for a few.

Gotta love this community..

This makes for a very slippery airplane... hard to slow down when descending...

Bert