Sign in to follow this  
Knoxpilot

TBM 850 Review

As they say: "The baseball just kept getting bigger, and then it hit me.."

After looking at the G1000 code in some detail and marveling at the elaborate mouse routines,

it hit me that all this code does not have to be executed if the mouse pointer is inactive..

As soon as you bring the mouse pointer onto the screen, hundreds, if not thousands lines of

code get executed to determine where you are pointing and what action you might want to trigger..

That has got to eat framerates.. :(

Have you looked at the 182T or SR22 code? I have a feeling that same code runs all the time with those, regardless of where the mouse pointer is. To me it seems they've really optimized the panel compared to previous attempts.

On my system (see link to the left), I notice a slight reduction of the frame rate when I'm interacting with the panel, but nothing too severe. It's certainly heavier on the FPS than the Malibu, but not too bad.

yea, .with the sp1 patch the speeds are within about 5% of published (im not going to complain about that). I never tested the fuel flow rates but according to articles written about the TBM and an actual TBM pilot who posted earlier in this thread, they're supposedly quite similar to the real plane...although again, you're not going to find perfection in what is essentially developed and marketed as a purely entertainment product for $40.

True, but I have other $40 entertainment addons that are not as flawed...

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

True, but I have other $40 entertainment addons that are not as flawed...

I suppose that different folks will have differing opinions on that, but for my own needs/wants...I have not, so consider yourself blessed  B)

Can anyone comment on your experience with taxiing the aircraft? Do you think that it required alot of throttle to get moving? also, what is the proper procedure for takeoff, I noticed that the rpm peaks quite easily when applying throttle, is this in keeping with the real aircraft?

y572_3.jpgC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Marlon Carter - AVSIM Reviewer

Can anyone comment on your experience with taxiing the aircraft? Do you think that it required alot of throttle to get moving?

Yes. about 24% TRQ.  It should roll on its own, and beta needed to keep it under control, but this is minor. It may be the result of trying for better realism in flight. SP2 is Stollies's work.

what is the proper procedure for takeoff, I noticed that the rpm peaks quite easily when applying throttle, is this in keeping with the real aircraft?

Trim to top of green bar. One notch of flaps. Int. Sep. OFF. ignition and fuel pump on AUTO. All lights ON. Pitot heat ON. Condition level FULL. Advance to full throttle. Prop PRM is automatic, and will stay at 2000. Just like the Piper Meridian (but they removed the prop lever in the control quad). 90 kts rotate. Positive rate, gear up. 500 feet, flaps up. 2000 feet, engage hyper-drive (850 Power indent).

Enjoy.

Regarding the mouse pointer and FPS thing: I dimly recall from years ago that this may have to do with focus. The moment you enable the mouse pointer, it selects focus of the window it's in, in the Vc, that being of course the VC cockpit.

Whenever you have two windows fighting for focus, there's a performance hit, or at least there used to be. The render engine for the outside view is a separate window.

Also interesting to note is that if you go completely heads-down, with PFDs and MFD on or not, your framerate improves significantly. And drops the moment you're running/rendering inside and outside views.

My tech detail knowledge has faded drastically with time, so this might just all be baseless speculation, mind you. :) and it was never high-powered to begin with..... but sometimes it can accidentally provide a clue.

Int. Sep. OFF

actually the inert sep should always be on for taxi, takeoffs and landings...but to be honest it feels to me that carenado made the inert sep take TOO much power away and feels like overkill due to a dramatically increased takeoff roll with its use.

Thank you very much for this extremely detailed review. I have been holding off purchasing the TBM-850 because of so many unknowns, I'm glad I did and didn't get duped into buying a 40$ addon aircraft that should be selling for 29$ like other developers who create similar aircraft.

I can't believe this plane costs what it does with all of it's flaws where an absolutely amazing aircraft like the SibWings Antanov AN-2 is a mere 15.99, about $20.50 U.S. funds... :(

Andrew Walker

The glass system is heaps more difficult to code than the an-2. I think it's worth 40. So there were some minor problems. The most obscene have been fixed.

I'm glad I did and didn't get duped

The major bugs are fixed in SP2. There is no duping at this point. It is a fine AC.

The cost of things and the debate on value has no victory for all those involved... but as a comparison; The TBM will give me thousands of hours of entertainment, where as the past two days,, I've spent over 100 dollars on two really bad movies (Superman & Star Trek). And that only took 4 hours to lose it.

I dare say... the last 4 hours of my old age life, I will curse them both.

@Jocko Flocko

The major bugs are fixed in SP2. There is no duping at this point. It is a fine AC.

The cost of things and the debate on value has no victory for all those involved... but as a comparison; The TBM will give me thousands of hours of entertainment, where as the past two days,, I've spent over 100 dollars on two really bad movies (Superman & Star Trek). And that only took 4 hours to lose it.

I dare say... the last 4 hours of my old age life, I will curse them both.

I get perfectly fine FPS with the Carenado C90, B200, A36 and the P46T all which have been fantastic aircraft for me that I have put many hours in. I'm not really interested in the aircraft having "perfected" systems in terms of accuracy like a PMDG 737NG, the one thing that is a must for me is a stable framerate while working IFR/ILS/Pattern procedures in extremely low visibility.  Does the TBM-850, after all of the latest updates you mentioned, have similar performnce characteristics as the Carenado aircraft I mentioned above in terms of framerates? If so I'll gladly go ahead and purchase it now.

I was under the impression the framerates were in the dumps similar to the Cirrus SR22. I also own the Carenado Cirrus SR22 and on my system with a framerate locked at 30, it jumps from 21 to 27 like a yo yo, even in sparse areas like deserts. It makes it difficult to work the avionics in real time.

-Jocko

Andrew Walker

Jocko, I have a similar system to yours and I run in the mid 20's. Bit of a fair weather fan myself, so I can't speak on the FPS load in heavy weather. About the only thing I do wish it had was a pop up for the AP controls. With the AC in turbulence, its a bit of a pain trying to work it with all that shaking going on!

For a few extra fps, turn off the co-pilot's PFD.

Upper left screw on the bezel.

Bert

Hello Happy Taxpayers !

I have now implemented SP1 and SP2, and I am extremely happy with this aircraft.

After quite a long flight at FL 300 from LFCL (Clermont Ferrand) to LGSK (Skiathos) in real weather conditions, I was somehow anxious about the perf.

I have tried to introduce the am mod in the .air file, changing the drag factor to 0.43.

I have registered three flights in strict ISA conditions, at FL 300, FL 260 and FL 100.

The mod resulted in rather noticeable inconsistencies. The plane was flying like a rocket!

With the original .air file, some discrepancies with regard to the performance charts remain, but speeds are mostly in line with the charts, 

Have nice flights!

I'm very happy with this plane, I just purchased it after SP2 came out, it really put a smile in my face!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Alexander Colka