Sign in to follow this  
Knoxpilot

TBM 850 Review

Right, so selecting the 850 mode and tweaking the aircraft.cfg yielded 309KTAS at -34deg at FL260 which is a lot better than what I got in my brief flight yesterday.

Carenado really need to work on their manuals. I found reference to the the 850 Flap Control only because I now know what to look for so Ryan, we are in the same boat.

One question to the real life pilots, is it just me or is it really sensitive to pitch settings?

What tweak did you make to the aircraft.cfg? With the default .cfg I can only manage about 292 KTAS at altitude. Also, what does the .cfg tweak do to range? Sometimes the range goes unrealistically high when the TAS is increased.

Regards,

John

P.S. I found that framerates can be improved immensely for landing by turning off all but one of the displays. I did find an odd bug. At some point, the "s" and "a" keys quit working, as well as the spacebar which resets the view forward. The only way to get them working again was by changing to another aircraft. However, the view switch worked from my joystick.

Cactus521, on 18 May 2013 - 11:34 AM, said:

The sounds in the cockpit are a little soft--I would expect the 850 to be louder. I wonder if the real 850 pilots can comment.

Here's a 700 startup, dunno how close to the 850 it would be:

There's a forum bug, its not showing links currently. The sounds in the 700 seem VERY loud and obnoxious....also the engine spool in the real plane is much longer...in the sim its terribly short and the transition from spoolup to start is innacurately abrupt.

Carenado really need to work on their manuals. I found reference to the the 850 Flap Control only because I now know what to look for so Ryan, we are in the same boat.

Speaking of manuals,  on page 9 of the G1000 manual, it says there should be an engine softkey and on my system this softkey says "System".

Mike

What tweak did you make to the aircraft.cfg? With the default .cfg I can only manage about 292 KTAS at altitude.

I already mentioned in another thread that the "850" flap detent will still not get you up to published speeds.

Until a real/official fix has been implemented you can edit the cfg by turning up the Propeller Thrust Scalar to 1.2 (was originally 1.0). Just keep in mind this is a very quick and dirty way of going faster but it will also have an effect on climb performance as well, and while the original climb performance may be a bit sluggish this fix will make it a little too over-zealous :-).

There you go.

They must be changing the most "urgent" things on the fly.. this one was a bit embarrassing :blush:

Yeah.

The time stamp on the installer within the the zip file I downloaded from Carenado is 5/17/2013 10:08AM.

Well, I took her up for another test run today, and guys, the news isn't good.  I've flown this bird 3 times now and every time I fly it, as a real world TBM pilot, I become more disappointed in the major flaws that I run across.  so.....my final thoughts, from a real world perspective.

Today's flight was KHXD-MYNN@FL260, all standard conditions and no wind.  I paid much closer attention to engine performance rather than flight characteristics today.  First off, completely ignore the ITT gauge.  The ITT limits for this aircraft are 800 degrees, between 800-870 (during start only!) for 20 seconds, and 870-1000 for 5 seconds.  This puppy is idling at 945 degrees!! And why the gauge is only showing halfway up the green arc, I haven't a clue :huh:.  Gentlemen, I have seen the results of someone over temping a PT6, a TBM engine at 945 degrees for any more than 8 seconds is melting the damn blades in the engine!!  This was before I even started taxiing and I have already been completely removed from any remotely realistic simulation at this point.  ITT pegged at 1160 degrees on take off and remained around 950 degrees throughout the rest of the flight.

Taxiing this airplane should require no power.  Seriously, you need to keep the prop back in beta just to keep it at an appropriate taxi speed.  The sim is wanting nearly 60% torque to get her going.  Not a huge deal for a simulator, but these little discrepancies are really detracting from my experience.

Climb performance was pretty close to the real airplane, but then as many have experienced, cruise performance was a little slow.  At FL260, Tq 121.3%, Ng 99.8%, 2K RPM; I was getting 298 KTAS, 200 KIAS, @ 66GPH.  The fuel consumption was close to real anyway...lol.

To answer a few questions from above....I have never actually flown a G1000 850, just the older avionics style 700 and 850, so I'm not EXACTLY sure what the torque gauge is supposed to do at the 100% mark.  I have flown a G1000 before, but only in a C182 and Bonanza.  I can tell you that the Carenado G1000 is extremely limited as has been discussed in numerous other threads.  The noise is considerably louder in the real airplane, but for me this doesn't really detract from my experience, just pretend that you're wearing some nice Bose headsets.

My final thoughts on the Carenado TBM 850.  If you enjoy flying through FSX in a pretty airplane, then go for it...BUT Carenado might as well of slapped the Wright Flyer cockpit into it.  She's pretty much nothing more than some very well organized pixels, flying through, what can be, a very pretty simulator platform.  Yes, the flight dynamics feel similar to the real airplane, but the systems are so completely wacky, that I won't be flying it anymore until a considerable upgrade is made to it.  It's simply not an accurate simulation of the real aircraft.  Just because it looks pretty and feels "similar" doesn't make it safe to practice on!  If I were to "practice" on this simulated model, I would destroy an already unairworthy aircraft, and could actually develop habits that would prove to be unsafe for my real world passengers.  Harsh, but true!  That being said, and as I've said before, your FS experience is all your own.  If you like what you see, and this aircraft will provide what you want out of your experience, then go get it.  Just don't pretend like you're a real TBM pilot  :P

Safe Skies

-Seth-

Knoxpilot, on 18 May 2013 - 8:50 PM, said:

First off, completely ignore the ITT gauge. The ITT limits for this aircraft are 800 degrees, between 800-870 (during start only!) for 20 seconds, and 870-1000 for 5 seconds. This puppy is idling at 945 degrees!! And why the gauge is only showing halfway up the green arc, I haven't a clue :huh:.

It appears Carenado made the gauge show Farenheit instead of Celsius :Doh: That's pretty sloppy, but it happens - NASA lost a Mars orbiter because they confused metric and imperial units so I think we can excuse Carenado for mixing up Fahrenheit and Celsius, as long as they fix it.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

It appears Carenado made the gauge show Farenheit instead of Celsius :Doh: That's pretty sloppy, but it happens - NASA lost a Mars orbiter because they confused metric and imperial units so I think we can excuse Carenado for mixing up Fahrenheit and Celsius, as long as they fix it.

The G1000 display for ITT is marked in F, and displays F... the checklist shows C.

Confusing yes - incorrect, I don't know, maybe you can specify F in the real plane... :unsure:

Bert

Knoxpilot, on 18 May 2013 - 2:50 PM, said:

Well, I took her up for another test run today, and guys, the news isn't good. I've flown this bird 3 times now and every time I fly it, as a real world TBM pilot, I become more disappointed in the major flaws that I run across. so.....my final thoughts, from a real world perspective.

Today's flight was KHXD-MYNN@FL260, all standard conditions and no wind. I paid much closer attention to engine performance rather than flight characteristics today. First off, completely ignore the ITT gauge. The ITT limits for this aircraft are 800 degrees, between 800-870 (during start only!) for 20 seconds, and 870-1000 for 5 seconds. This puppy is idling at 945 degrees!! And why the gauge is only showing halfway up the green arc, I haven't a clue :huh:. Gentlemen, I have seen the results of someone over temping a PT6, a TBM engine at 945 degrees for any more than 8 seconds is melting the damn blades in the engine!! This was before I even started taxiing and I have already been completely removed from any remotely realistic simulation at this point. ITT pegged at 1160 degrees on take off and remained around 950 degrees throughout the rest of the flight.

Taxiing this airplane should require no power. Seriously, you need to keep the prop back in beta just to keep it at an appropriate taxi speed. The sim is wanting nearly 60% torque to get her going. Not a huge deal for a simulator, but these little discrepancies are really detracting from my experience.

Climb performance was pretty close to the real airplane, but then as many have experienced, cruise performance was a little slow. At FL260, Tq 121.3%, Ng 99.8%, 2K RPM; I was getting 298 KTAS, 200 KIAS, @ 66GPH. The fuel consumption was close to real anyway...lol.

To answer a few questions from above....I have never actually flown a G1000 850, just the older avionics style 700 and 850, so I'm not EXACTLY sure what the torque gauge is supposed to do at the 100% mark. I have flown a G1000 before, but only in a C182 and Bonanza. I can tell you that the Carenado G1000 is extremely limited as has been discussed in numerous other threads. The noise is considerably louder in the real airplane, but for me this doesn't really detract from my experience, just pretend that you're wearing some nice Bose headsets.

My final thoughts on the Carenado TBM 850. If you enjoy flying through FSX in a pretty airplane, then go for it...BUT Carenado might as well of slapped the Wright Flyer cockpit into it. She's pretty much nothing more than some very well organized pixels, flying through, what can be, a very pretty simulator platform. Yes, the flight dynamics feel similar to the real airplane, but the systems are so completely wacky, that I won't be flying it anymore until a considerable upgrade is made to it. It's simply not an accurate simulation of the real aircraft. Just because it looks pretty and feels "similar" doesn't make it safe to practice on! If I were to "practice" on this simulated model, I would destroy an already unairworthy aircraft, and could actually develop habits that would prove to be unsafe for my real world passengers. Harsh, but true! That being said, and as I've said before, your FS experience is all your own. If you like what you see, and this aircraft will provide what you want out of your experience, then go get it. Just don't pretend like you're a real TBM pilot :P

Safe Skies

-Seth-

So what you're saying is that this is a typical Carenado product, all flash, no substance, like a supermodel.  B)

How could they have gotten the 337 so right and this so so wrong?

For giggles, I took a short flight in the 337 and Jetprop and was amazed how much better they both "feel" in comparison to the TBM. The dude (can't remember his name) who did the FDE for those two really should have done the TBM as well.

SirStiggie, on 18 May 2013 - 3:56 PM, said:

For giggles, I took a short flight in the 337 and Jetprop and was amazed how much better they both "feel" in comparison to the TBM. The dude (can't remember his name) who did the FDE for those two really should have done the TBM as well

Bernt Stolle. He's back at Milviz now. Soon to come...B737-200, Avanti II, MU 2, King Air 350 and...maybe...a Lear 20 (with an upgrade to a Lear 25/35). I'm buying scenery while I wait... :P .

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Seth - putting aside the lack of systems and the fact that the ITT gauge is reading in Fahrenheit instead of Celsius...you say the "feel" of flight in this 850 is "similar" to the real deal...so I was very curious to hear what you think are the weak points in the "feel" of this simulated plane. What are the sort of reactions that are really wrong here, etc.

... for instance, this sim plane seems to feel a tad unstable to me around its horizontal axis, mostly noticed using real weather, in turb, and in turns.

Bernt Stolle. He's back at Milviz now. Soon to come...B737-200, Avanti II, MU 2, King Air 350 and...maybe...a Lear 20 (with an upgrade to a Lear 25/35). I'm buying scenery while I wait... :P .

I suppose there's an interesting back story to why he left Carenado so soon. I was honestly surprised when it turned out he didn't do the FDE for the TBM-850.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

That's right. I was looking through my PM's just now and he sent me a PM sometime ago about a comment I made on the FDE of the C90  :rolleyes: .

I am happy he's working with MilViz. Hopefully he'll do the FDE on the Avanti II :wub:

I wonder if its possible to use the FDE of the Jetprop with some tweaks on the TBM? Has to be better than whats there now.

Has to be better than whats there now.

?? RW pilot Seth said it was one of the best ..  and pretty close to the real TBM.

Systems on the other hand, are made for FSX, and not the real thing.