Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Nielsen

Cessna 310 and Flight1 anti-piracy

Okay at first I thought I understood what the uproar over all the anti-piracy stuff was about but now I

Guest Bigshot

Only in America!!

Guest Steve Small

Bob,Great post.FSD are a very small group, with very limited resources. The investment of effort we had to make to devise a robust solution not available to us at any price from other sources was therefore a considerable one. We lost three months productivity. It's interesting how similar the improved F1 system used on the C310 is to ours. >The general attitude of acceptance that piracy >is something we just have to live with is unacceptable >to me. And also to us, which is why we had to do something about it. By ourselves. Best,

Guest TimD

"Well Steve(FSD)I have bought stuff from you and flight1. I can tell you that your system while not as bad as PMDG and CaptainSim, it is not as easy as you claim either. Take for instance my brother who bought your Commander, he wanted to reinstall it and he had to email you and ask for another key."If he was installing it on the same computer, or even a backup computer, he would not have to do that. In fact, the system will not even ask him for a license ID or anything. It will just install. Beyond that he may need to ask for an unlock. I think this is quite reasonable.Granted, this can get complex when drastic hardware/operating system changes are made. That is unfortunate, but there is really no way around it if a developer is to provide any protection at all. If there is no control over where the software is going, then you are basically talking about going back to the "honor system". That simply did not work.All a developer can do is provide the best service they can, and be flexible and timely when dealing with good honest folks like yourself that just want to enjoy the software.http://www.fsd-international.com/team/TD_forum_sig.gif

Thanks for your concern Jeroen but I realy have a seperate machine for testing things out as well as a dual boot setup on my main machine. Even if I wanted I still don't know anyone who is as mad as me about this hobby anywayThanks for your trust anyway.ene eeeh: Zoals de waard is....

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

Guest Ken_Salter

All,IMHO, we have beat, chopped, sauted, grilled, and pan seared this dead horse (and added a nice wine reduction sauce with the fond and some shallots with rosemary) more than enough.I am going to move this to the Hangar Forum, where there is already a thread on piracy and software protection in progress.http://saltydogfly2.avsim.net/images/avsim_sig.jpg"I am the keeper of the cheese; you are the lemon merchant"

JP, yeah, that reminds me... You never filled out the AVSIM Staff Registration form. The 267 questions that it has in it are a piece of cake, given all the other information you have provided to the government over the years. However, we do have a section on clothes sizes that you need to pay special attention to. Oh yeah, and there is the special medical section that deals with your condition under certain situations that we may have to deal with some day (you know, behaviour under the influence, 'have you ever..', those kind of things). If you have lost the form, let me know and I will send it to you again. :)

Oh yea, you mean the one which needs to be filled out in triplicate then notarized by the Chief Clerk of the US Supreme Court, thought I filled that one out.;)

Hi steve and Jason I thought I would clear something up :) I did have to write you steve to get it unlocked again because I guess I had installed to many times but thats fine I didn't mind to much dropping you a line to ask you to reactivate again even though I felt like I was renting instead of purchasing the aircraft. What gets me now is machine binding and I for one don't like where this anti piracy software is going, so I guess after I purchase df/f1 152 later on today hopefully :) I'am hanging up buying add on's for flight simulator for a long while. I think this anti piracy stuff has gone to far and I feel like I'am renting instead of purchasing. I also feel like its a big hassle to get this stuff reactivated and in some cases activated, I know theres going to be alot of good stuff made but I don't have the time or the patience to deal with this anti piracy stuff. So anyways I wont take up anymore space here and I'll end it by saying I think before long this anti picracy stuff is going to leave a mark on the future of flight simultor add ons for the customer and the developer if that mark is good or bad we won't know for awhile but it will deafently leave a mark.

Guest Steve Small

>I think before long this anti picracy stuff is going to>leave a mark on the future of flight simultor add ons for the>customer and the developer if that mark is good or bad we>won't know for awhile but it will deafently leave a mark.Why of course, how could we miss it : it's the developers fault for making addon's that are attractive to steal......Steve SmallCanberra, Australiahttp://www.fsd-international.com/team/Steve_signature.gif

Guest JeanLuc_

Yes you are right Ken, it has been served in any conceivable way. However, I can't refrain myself thinking that before the frustrations that many users publicly expressed in PMDG's forum about machine binding, and wait-email-key system, as at least from what is read on their forums from their many users (in the middle of there other many users pleased with their purchase), no one complained about FSD or Flight1 machine binding technology. This is the most recent "same subject" significant event (from number of posts) I've been able to trace on the AVSIM forums, after an older one with other great number of people complaining for another airliner.Because the problem in my opinion, from most of what I read in these threads, it not related to the quality of FSD offering which we all agree here it is of the best available, or Flight1 offering which we all also agree it of the best available, but it is solely related to a "fear" about "personal information / personal habits" being divulged. This is amazing, to me at least, because in fact personal information is something which has always been gathered by the vendors at least to grant the download link or to unwrapp the application from personal information and CC#, and that, for many years and many purchases.Before this recent vendor release, no one cared this much (or at least never told that much so publicly) and was in fact (for the most part, there are always people complaining whatever the level of service you offer) very pleased with the vendors offerings, their way of distributing and selling it, and their customer support. Now, all of a sudden, in less than a week, we end up having almost a cumulative 600 individual messages on the sole subject of piracy protection.Are there that many frustrated people from their latest purchase all of a sudden which would have lead so many at once to tell something they maybe thought before but never raised as a matter? is it the demonstration of the failure of a couple few that all the industry is now wrongly blamed upon? Or full moon maybe? Nothing against any particular vendor, on the contrary I share the same concerns, but the coincidence, being used to see trends and waves emerging on the forums from reading them a lot, strikes me.Because whatever is the reason, what is sure is that from my knowledge, the best offerings (nothing subjective in my use of "best": the ones usually offered by 4/5 stars review at avsim) are going to be more protected because they also are (no wonder) the most pirated, and more than pirated, the most exchanged among peers. This is inevitable, but it is also the garantee to mee that we are all going to enjoy for a long run, the unique expertise of many individuals in this small market, which could not afford to loose any of them. Simply because the learning curve gets higher, and it is becoming more and more difficult to beat the seniority and expertise some have gained in years of work in this market. Not impossible, but harder...Whatever the protection method in use (and please don't flame, nothing is static in this market and everything evolve from customer feedback), it is also our interest as customers and users in the way it is securing our long term expectations about our hobby. Simply put: I'll find FS really boring if none of the commercial add-ons were available to fully expand it, and I also understand that none of these add-ons would be available if their authors could not secure the illegal distribution of there software.Hope this helps!

No, not just in the US.Most of those things would be the same in Europe (except the one on prepaid mobile phones, those go over the counter on cash payment without any paperwork at all (apart from the salesperson entering the SIM card number as sold thus activating it for use).

Well said JP!I also came from a small town and never locked our doors:-)Can't do that now days!I agree that our lives have been and remain an open book to all the agencies who require info on honest and dishonest folks alike.I am not personnaly concerned because I have a clear concience and I too don't understand all the fuss. As a developer I simpy do not have the time or inclination to track someones personal or non personal lives."This is the nature of the beast that we have created." I do disagree here because "WE" didn't cause this unless "WE" are the casual and/or serious thieves:-)At Eaglesoft we began with the F1 sytem and are currently evaluating both the FSD system and the improved F1/DF system for future releases.Which ever system we decide to use will in no way effect our committment to customer satisfaction and enjoyment of the hobby. In short..when this becomes so serious that it isn't fun anymore we will close the doors:-) :-)The systems described are only a more secure way of doing business. They are NOT life or death matters:-) :-)Best Regards,Ron HamiltonPresidentEaglesoft Development Group

>>.....>Steve Small>Canberra, Australia>It might become the developers fault to scare legit customers away by machine binding. I don't know how many of us there are but like the former poster I used to buy add-ons in bulk and currently I have decided to steer clear of these uBer protected packages.Reinstalling normal add-ons is already a lot of work I refuse to deal with the extra key hassle the new packages give no matter how friendly customer support is or how many times I can get new keys.I hope you see an increased sale of your add-ons and that you're right in believing that most pirated copies did prevent sales. But.. if you see less add-ons sold remember us anti machine binding formerly buying every add-on to play with type of customer :-)

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg