Sign in to follow this  
Jacoba

Whats the best regional jet for FSX, currently available?

The original thread dated from 2013, I would say right now the Aerosoft A318/319 would be a top pick for short haul regional jet.  The Quality Wings Avro series is a nice package too. IMO the Feel There ERJV2 is a bit dated by today's standards; I don't fly it much anymore.  I know it's been forever since it was announced but the Aerosoft team is putting the finishing touches on a CRJ700-900 and should be released shortly.  If your into steam gauged retro-aircraft the Cool Sky DC-9 is spectacular. Turbo props have the excellent Majestic Q400 and also the Razbam Metroliner  

Good Luck

RE Thomason Jr.

Thinking of modernising my fleet from the AVRO RJ85. Would the Embraer 135/145 be the logical replacement?

Not really, the ERJ 145 is half the size. I believe the Digital Aviation/Flight1 CRJ should be out this year and that's closer in size. Or you can take the third way and get Majestic's superb Q400.

The E-jets v2 (175 and 195) from feelThere would be the most logical replacement but I'm unsure of the quality, v1 (170 and 190) weren't that great.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Maybe I need to go a little bigger then. At the moment I fly around the UK and my Max flight distance is less than 500nm. I was thinking about expanding to cover France which would bump up the mileage. Probally look at the Airbus as that's a popular choice in the UK.

I really like the QW product as its not overly complicated and does everything I want it too (just its based on a Jet no longer produced). I see QW are bringing out a version of the 737 which I think is the boeing direct competition to the A319? I know PMDG do a 737 but I like the way QW simplifies the plane so even I can fly it.

I enjoyed the ERJs and E-Jets series (just look at all the repaints I did for them), they handled well getting from A to B, but with one caveat. For whatever reason, and I could never isolate it after years of trying, any Feelthere product would wildly fluctuate in FPS in FS9 and FSX for me.

And I do mean wildly...even with FPS locked at 30, I would see FPS shoot from 60 to 80, then back down to 10 constantly. This induced HARD stuttering through all my flights. 737 classic, ERJv2, E-Jets v1 and v2 all did this. I followed the installation guides, anti-virus suggestions, and compatibility settings warned about in their FAQs, and after numerous reinstalls to try to fix it, I couldn't. Unfortunately, never really got any other ideas or suggestions through the various support channels. I, sadly, finally gave up and put these planes in mothball for now. No other aircraft I own exhibits symptoms like that.

Would love to take these planes for a spin again someday in FSX if I can figure out the problem.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

I plan in a few months to join a virtual airline (UK Based Short Haul), but I don't know any that operate with an AVRO. Though might need to learn SIDS and STARS rather than my current IFR & ILS only flights

QW doing 737 classic models while PMDG do the New Generation variants. You can also fly the PMDG 737NGs in a relaxed way.

The Aerosoft Airbuses could be a good choice as well, as they have built-in checklists, and even an option for an 'active' First Officer, assisting you during your flights. The A318 in their A318/319 package is capable of steep approaches into London City airport, for example.

At the moment I fly around the UK and my Max flight distance is less than 500nm. I was thinking about expanding to cover France which would bump up the mileage. Probally look at the Airbus as that's a popular choice in the UK.

If you follow real life examples for that sort of flying, you have BA and easyJet with the A319 (Aerosoft's is the best available at the moment but FSLabs are working on one too), Ryanair with the 737-800 (PMDG's NGX is the defacto FSX airliner addon) and flybe with the Q400 (made by Majestic and probably the best turboprop for FSX, also very framerate friendly) and E-jets (feelThere/Wilco make these but they're a bit dated now)

I do exactly the same flights as you for my virtual airline and I prefer the PMDG Jetstream 41 and Majestic Q400, but as you've mentioned you like QualityWings simplicity, those will likely be more complicated/complex than you'd want. Which would lead you back to the Airbus; very capable but I think it's a bit boring because it's so automated.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

My opinion is that it's always fun to learn new aircraft, even if it's harder to do.  In the regional range, I cannot recommend enough the amazing Q400, which gives you a whole new perspective of flight.

The DA/Aerosoft CRJ shoud come out soon, and will probably be a good mix of complexity and automation, and looks fantastic.

sig01.png

If you follow real life examples for that sort of flying, you have BA and easyJet with the A319 (Aerosoft's is the best available at the moment but FSLabs are working on one too), Ryanair with the 737-800 (PMDG's NGX is the defacto FSX airliner addon) and flybe with the Q400 (made by Majestic and probably the best turboprop for FSX, also very framerate friendly) and E-jets (feelThere/Wilco make these but they're a bit dated now)

I do exactly the same flights as you for my virtual airline and I prefer the PMDG Jetstream 41 and Majestic Q400, but as you've mentioned you like QualityWings simplicity, those will likely be more complicated/complex than you'd want. Which would lead you back to the Airbus; very capable but I think it's a bit boring because it's so automated.

I like the automated stuff, which is why I went for a Jet over the Majestic origionally. Thinking about it I don't think I even use the actual throttles on my joystick as I uses TO/GA to take off and ILS + Autoland. I spend most of the flight looking out the windows then making a few adjustments based on IFR commands lol.

I enjoy Quality Wings Avro/Bae146. Waiting for Aerosoft (Digital Aviation) CRJs

Sam. 

Waiting for the 64-bit PSION Flightsim for ZX-Spectrum ////

The DA/Aerosoft CRJ shoud come out soon, and will probably be a good mix of complexity and automation, and looks fantastic.

They have stated this aircraft will be more of a study level sim with a lower amount of first officer automation compared to what is found in their A321 series.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

Wait for the aerosoft crj-700

Other options are the excellent quality wings 146 / RJ package or if you want almost jet performance the majestic q400 is fantastic.

Would you be interested in a turboprop over a jet? Majestic Q400 is simply amazing.

B.

WW1294.png

I watched a few video's of the A319 last night and I love the look of it, especially the cool cockpit.  However it looked very complicated to operate and when the engines were started I could hardly hear them.