Sign in to follow this  
ZKOKQ

AI Aircraft SID and STAR Controller

Hi - if this is Roland (or even if it's not :lol: )  - thank you for writing back.  I must have just missed reading the above message from you, as I sent the same request to you via email.  Which way would you prefer to communicate?  Either is fine by me.  (Actually, email is a little better - sometimes AVSIM doesn't post my post.  I have to make sure I copy my message to the clipboard - so if AVSIM blows me off, I can just re-log in, and paste my message again.  Kind of a pain.

You said - "Go to the Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK directory and right click on ConfigSDK.exe, properties, details.  I could NOT find this - My main flight sim directory is called C:\Flight Sim X - but I'm sure that doesn't matter, right?  Anyway - I looked in there and could not find an SDK directory.  The closest thing I could come up with is - in my main FSX directory, a file named MicrosoftFlightSimulator.SimConnect.dll.  It's version number is 10.0.61637.0.  Is this what you mean, Roland?

Thanks very much for your help!

I will install the newest version of AISIDSTAR, if that's what you want me to do.

Ray L.

I've decided to add a new option in the latest beta (Ver 1.2F) which causes the AI to hold at the STAR entry waypoint (at a range of altitudes to avoid interfering with any other AI that also may be holding at the entry waypoint) until minimum separation is re-acquired. 

This in combination with the AIseparationdistance seems to significantly reduce go-arounds even at KLAX rush hour (although again not entirely).  PLEASE REMEMBER to turn this option on in the AISIDSTAR.ini file because I'm not yet sure I want this option default on.  If I have it default "on" I'm sure some users (reasonably so) will think the vectoring is busted when they see an AI circling at the entry waypoint.  So perhaps it should be an option someone intentionally turns on.  For the same reason, I'm thinking about changing the AIseparationdistance to default zero (which turns it off) because I gotten some emails about why some AI aircraft are slowing down and speeding up (answer:  commanded speed changes to reacquire minimum AI separation distance).

-Roland  

What is the busiest airport you have run AISIDSTAR at? What were your observations with traffic levels and how the program handled them? What was the ratio of go arounds for every good landing?

Flying the PMDG MD11 today out of UNKL (with aiconv'd SIDs and STARs), AIDSIDSTAR12 put my plane into slew mode.

Bryn,

Can you please verify your Simconnect version and also try the latest beta at:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/rajm9829d21rf01/AISIDSTAR12F.zip

I've added an extra step to check for user aircraft.

-Roland

Yes, good point, I'll look into it for the next version!  If the user is interested in loading ALL files in a large region, definitely more efficient.

The memory impact is not as bad as it would first seem though because loading a large number of files translates into large arrays, but the arrays are sparsely populated with data (really not a lot of dense data in the SID/STAR files).  My first pass scan of the larger arrays during runtime is by ICAO, which is pretty quick and eliminates most entries.  I'm not sure what the effects of large arrays have on address space though, which is why I recommend to anyone reading - get AISIDSTAR (and any other suitable add-on program) off your FSX computer and onto a networked, client (old computer) if at all possible.  It is something I've done for years using WideFS (thanks Pete!) and Simconnect.

Isn't this way of operating going to severely impact AISIDSTAR's performance? Will it be reading thousands of files and trying to use all of them?

I wondered if it would be better to have AISIDSTAR automatically select airports which are reasonably near the user's aircraft, i.e. within 40-60 nm? Or alternatively, automatically reading, say the loaded FSX plan and using that to determine departure, arrival and maybe interim airports?

Regards
Pete Dowson

That's strange, my simconnect.dll is in a subdirectory of the SDK folder.

What version of FSX do you have? E.g., FSX Deluxe w/ Accel., Gold Box, etc...

Haven't gotten your email, can you resend to my address listed in the doc readme file if you have not done so already? Thanks!

-Roland

Hi - if this is Roland (or even if it's not :lol: ) - thank you for writing back. I must have just missed reading the above message from you, as I sent the same request to you via email. Which way would you prefer to communicate? Either is fine by me. (Actually, email is a little better - sometimes AVSIM doesn't post my post. I have to make sure I copy my message to the clipboard - so if AVSIM blows me off, I can just re-log in, and paste my message again. Kind of a pain.

You said - "Go to the Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK directory and right click on ConfigSDK.exe, properties, details. I could NOT find this - My main flight sim directory is called C:\Flight Sim X - but I'm sure that doesn't matter, right? Anyway - I looked in there and could not find an SDK directory. The closest thing I could come up with is - in my main FSX directory, a file named MicrosoftFlightSimulator.SimConnect.dll. It's version number is 10.0.61637.0. Is this what you mean, Roland?

Thanks very much for your help!

I will install the newest version of AISIDSTAR, if that's what you want me to do.

Ray L.

I've decided to add a new option in the latest beta (Ver 1.2F) which causes the AI to hold at the STAR entry waypoint (at a range of altitudes to avoid interfering with any other AI that also may be holding at the entry waypoint) until minimum separation is re-acquired. 

This in combination with the AIseparationdistance seems to significantly reduce go-arounds even at KLAX rush hour (although again not entirely).  PLEASE REMEMBER to turn this option on in the AISIDSTAR.ini file because I'm not yet sure I want this option default on.  If I have it default "on" I'm sure some users (reasonably so) will think the vectoring is busted when they see an AI circling at the entry waypoint.  So perhaps it should be an option someone intentionally turns on.  For the same reason, I'm thinking about changing the AIseparationdistance to default zero (which turns it off) because I gotten some emails about why some AI aircraft are slowing down and speeding up (answer:  commanded speed changes to reacquire minimum AI separation distance).

-Roland  

Bryn,

Can you please verify your Simconnect version and also try the latest beta at:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/rajm9829d21rf01/AISIDSTAR12F.zip

I've added an extra step to check for user aircraft.

-Roland

A search on my computer is giving me 3 SimConnect.dll's. Each has a different version #.

#1 version: 10.0.61355.0

#2 version: 10.0.61637.0

#3 version: 10.0.60905.0

Should I just keep the one with the latest version? They are all three located in this directory: C:\Windows\winsxs\

I think the holding should be at the STAR release point until 5 miles separation is regained that way when AI are handed to FSX there is still adequate separation so that they don't bunch up on the approach like I had happen. However, I think if they are all jetliners the 5 miles separation is sufficient unless there is a prop ahead of it.

Just a thought, I will try out the new BETA and report my findings.

Don't delete any. One is RTM, SP1 and SP2. Fairly certain you should keep them.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

OK - Hi, Roland - I'm back - Ray L here.  Sorry for the delay. 

Installed the SDK  - sorry, didn't realize your program needed that (of course, if I'd more carefully read the FIRST page of these posts :lol: , I'd have saved myself a lot of grief!!

With the install of the SDK - all seems to be well - No more Slewing!!  I will do a few more flights, just to confirm.  I have absolutely no idea why, when I installed FSX many moons ago, it didn't install the SDK, or maybe I declined this during install - I just don't know.

Anyway - Roland, thanks so much for your help.  I will continue to "test" AISIDSTAR.

Good luck on your "Project"!!

All best,

Ray L (Blackbird)

Well - upon further testing - I am still having Slewing - but apparently only when I tell the program to "monitor"(?) the airport close to me - KMHT - from where I departed.  Odd.  When I don't include my departure airport in the SID/STAR INI file, it seems ok.  I thought I'd be able to follow other planes out of Manchester, NH.  I guess not.

It is late here, now - so, I'll have to continue my investigation tomorrow.

Best,

Ray L.

'bblackkbirdd', on 23 Jun 2013 - 3:30 PM, said:

It's version number is 10.0.61637.0.

That's SP2, but I think you also need the original and SP1A. Like russianspd, I have all three .dll versions in my winsxs directory and they were installed at the same time, so I'm pretty sure you need all three.

'bblackkbirdd', on 23 Jun 2013 - 6:42 PM, said:

Installed the SDK -

Did you install the original SDK? Hmm..that could be a problem. "Do not attempt to install the original retail version of the Flight Simulator X SDK over an updated SDK, as unpredictable results can occur." http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=SDK_Installation_%28FSX%29_-_Troubleshooting

You should probably remove all your FSX SDKs (not FSX !!) and install them in the correct, chronological order. Here's the basic procedure from FSDeveloper regarding what is probably the most common installation (FSX Deluxe + Acceleration), which should be read carefully: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=SDK_Installation_%28FSX%29

• Install the RTM SDK from FSX Deluxe Edition disk 1, (see 2.1.1 FSX Deluxe RTM users instructions above).
  • Insert your Acceleration Pack DVD.
  • Browse to the subfolder called SDK\SP1a\
  • Install the SDK SP1A from there using fsx_sdk_sp1a.exe, (dated 26/09/2007, size 165,569KB).
  • Browse to the folder called SDK\
  • Install the Acceleration SP2/XPack SDK using sdk.msi, (dated 06/10/2007, size 216,929KB).

'bblackkbirdd', on 23 Jun 2013 - 9:46 PM, said:

Well - upon further testing - I am still having Slewing

Yes, make sure you have RTM, SP1A and SP2 installed in the correct order.

I think the holding should be at the STAR release point until 5 miles separation is regained that way when AI are handed to FSX there is still adequate separation so that they don't bunch up on the approach like I had happen. However, I think if they are all jetliners the 5 miles separation is sufficient unless there is a prop ahead of it.

I could do that as well, but the biggest issue is the AI would be seen from the airfield holding at the exit waypoint at relatively low altitudes.  This won't be an issue if they hold at the STAR entry point.  

The problem before was there were so many AI bunched so closely together I didn't have enough time to seperate them with "reasonable" speed changes.  Holding the AI at any waypoint helps because it gives extra time for the speed changes to work.  Anyway worth a try. 

I forgot to mention some other issues that should help.  The new version 1.2F (http://www.mediafire.com/download/rajm9829d21rf01/AISIDSTAR12F.zip) besides holding the AI also has the default monitoring radius at 108 nm, which gives more time to detect bunching.  I also recommend installing AIDupe v1.1 by Inaki Mayora. 

-Roland

I can see now how holding at the entry point can help separation. For me personally during the day you can't see AI until they are about 1000 from the runway. At night time judging depth from the AI lights is hard to do as well unless they are pretty close too. But that's my take.

I booted up at PHX and let the sim run while I was out. Came back and watched a bit. If it's two jetliners it is no problem the program works great and it is nice to see a decent amount of lights on approach between 26 and 25L. If it is a jetliner and a smaller airacraft like a CRJ or a prop then one or the other is going to do a go around.

Would it be possible to separate based on aircraft type? Boeing and Airbus can stay around 5. CRJ's,Saabs, and Embraers about 6 or so? Aside from the issue between jets and slower jets and turboprops I can't find any other faults.

Good morning, Roland.....Ray L here.....only for a moment, though.

Thanks for the advice about the SDK installation - that is exactly what I did, and in that order - but, thank you, Sir!!

Unfortunately, I will be unavailable for a good portion of today.

When I get back, I will continue my testing of your terrific program.

Thanks again for your support....it is my considered opinion that all the wonderful ancilliary programs that go along with FS9and FSX are better and more creative than the flight simulator itself.  Yours is certainly gaining momentum to that end, Sir.

All best,

Ray L ('Bird)

OK, got it working. It was the Sid i entered for a new airport that stopped it. I'm editing the KLAX file as per the readme but i guess i need to pay more attention to the format.

Hi, Guys......The Ol' Blackbird (Ray L) here for a moment.......

I am still having SLEWING probs with this program - would like to make it work properly - it's a very interesting concept.

I have reloaded a "clean" backup of FSX (no SDK in it) - this was FSX Deluxe.

Then, I installed the SDK from the DVD - started FSX - ran it for a minute - shut it down.

Next, installed SDK - sp1a - started FSX - ran it for a minute - shut it down.

Next, installed SDK - sp2 - started FSX - ran it for a minute - shut it down.

Set up AISIDSTAR - ran it - as long as I just use one of the "pre-made" ini files (like NYC Metro) - all is well - no slewing. (Did NOT complete the flight, though - don't know if that is important - like, if I get close enough to NY, will I be "slewed"?

The minute I add one of my own local airports (like KBOS) in the ini - I do the same start of FSX and my other progs (OpusFSX, ProATC) - I start AISIDSTAR,  get up in the air, then BOOM!  Can't stop it from slewing.

I'm quite certain I have installed the SDKs properly.

The versions of Simconnect on my computer (and where located):

In FSX main directory - v 10.0.61637.0

in Windows\winsxs - v 10.0.60905.0  -  v 10.0.61242.0  -  v 10.0.61259.0.

I am fresh out of ideas.  I know I must be doing something wrong.  If anybody sees what, I'd greatly appreciate help.  Roland has been kind enough to try and guide me thru this, but no luck so far - that is, if I want to also use my airports (like KBOS, KMHT, and KPVD) as well as the original ones included with the program.  As long as I only use the original airports (like Metro New York), it's fine.  Is it because those are far away enough so as not to interfere with my plane?  I have not actually flown all the way to one of them yet - maybe I should try that, to see if I eventually end up being thrown in slew mode.

Hopefully, this all made some sense - sorry if I'm rambling.

Thanks!!!

All best,

Ray L ('Bird)