Sign in to follow this  
ZKOKQ

AI Aircraft SID and STAR Controller

This looks interesting

Would you like to see AI aircraft follow published procedures? What if your plane's navigation display showed AI aircraft lined up on the same STAR as you during approach? Want to follow a string of departing AI aircraft on a KLAX LOOP departure? The AISIDSTAR utility (v1.1) automatically vectors FSX AI aircraft through predefined Standard Instrument Departures (SIDs) and Standard Instrument Arrivals (STARs) at an airport specified by the user. There is no limit to the number of SIDs and STARs specified for a particular airport. Moreover, the user can customize the procedures to fine tune AI arrival and departure patterns at each airport. AISIDSTAR also enforces spacing minimums between arriving AI aircraft, thus reducing go-arounds. AISIDSTAR requires the installation of the FSX SimConnect SDK on the FSX computer. AISIDSTAR can optionally be run on a networked configuration.

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxutil&DLID=177138

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Wow, that sounds pretty cool. I'll have to take a look at this. Have you tried it out yet and if so, how does it work and how easy is it to setup? 

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Just trying it out now CYVR to KLAX. Will post my findings on arrival. Looks like it allows users to create own sids & stars

East to set up. For my flight, I have copied the KLAX ini file from the KLAX folder to the root folder of AI_Star.

Runs well on networked pc via simconnect.

I suggest not to use ai smooth while this is running, as this also offers ai seperation.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Will post my findings on arrival

I am interested to see what you have to say. BTW, how is the documentation that comes with it? I did a "Zip Dive" to see if I could look at the documentation it comes with, but it looked like you would need to install it just to see it. Also, how much work and what is the method to write your own sids/stars? Sounds like it would be cool if setting up approaches and departures isn't too complicated. I can just imagine how long it would take to set up the majority of procedures for the airports I use most, especially if it all needs to be type by hand with coordinates. Be cool if you could update it with an Airac cycle from Navdata.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The manual is PDF, and is in the zip file. No install routine, it is a stand alone app. Creating sids n stars not for the faint hearted by the look of it.

Darn sweet fx just crashed my flight, so will have to test again, minus sweet FX :)

Works great, followed a fedex ai on the kimmo2 arrival, LAX, seperation was flawless, better than ai smooth. neat little addon. Works best networked.

Works great, followed a fedex ai on the kimmo2 arrival, LAX, seperation was flawless, better than ai smooth. neat little addon. Works best networked.

What ATC addon are you using?

Aamir Thacker

ProATCX and PFE for the Southern Hemisphere (technical reasons)

Thanks Julian. Gave up on Vatsim some time ago, so this may well do the trick to keep the skies alive.

Hope you are well my friend and enjoying life down south in the new home.

Cheers Dave B

Cheers Dave. Yes, been several years since I last used Vatsim, probably for the same reason you don't :)

All settled in down here now, bl%$dy cold though, and the birds fly backwards.

ProATCX and PFE for the Southern Hemisphere (technical reasons)

I see, so it's business as usual from the pilots perspective, and ATC still issue instructions then yeah?

That's brilliant, sounds like just what we need!

Aamir Thacker

Do you have to "configure" every airplane at every airport with every SID/STAR or is it automatic?

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I'm the author of AISIDSTAR.  Thanks Julian (and everyone) for the feedback.

I'm actually working on a new version right now with significantly better capabilities.  Ronald Kohls (must give him credit) suggested to me why not monitor more than one airport?  It then dawned on me that he was right, with a little modification, there wasn't a limit to the number of airports the program could monitor as long as it had SID and STAR files for those airport.

For example, you can monitor all the airports in a region at the same time.  Ronald wrote up SID and STAR files for the major airports in the LA metro region (KLAX, KBUR, KLGB, KONT, KSMO, KSNA, and KVNY).  The new version will load up all of those SID and STAR files (if you tell it to) and then vector the AI at all of those airports at the same time.  The result is that when you're flying through the region, all of the AI (except enroute AI passing through the area at flight levels) are following published SID and STAR procedures.  I'll include those files in the new version.   

You can also monitor your departure and destination airports at the same time.  That way you don't need to stop the utility after departure in order to reconfigure for the destination.  You can also monitor your favorite airports, so won't need to reconfigure at all if you fly between those airports.

There are also some bug fixes.  The biggest one I've heard about so far occurs when you're flying some distance from a monitored airport (e.g., 50 nm) and FSX generates a AI aircraft near you that has departed from the monitored airport.  The AI will unrealistically turn around and fly back to the airport in order to execute a SID.  In the new version, AI aircraft departing a monitored airport will only fly a SID if they are spawned by FSX near that airport.  Another noticeable bug is that sometimes the AI over banks during sharp turns, although they will continue flying the pattern.

-Roland F.

Thanks for the update Roland. Great addon, and thank you for making it freely available.

Do you have to "configure" every airplane at every airport with every SID/STAR or is it automatic?

No Ron, Auto. No tinkering with aircraft required.

I see, so it's business as usual from the pilots perspective, and ATC still issue instructions then yeah?
That's brilliant, sounds like just what we need!

The ai addon does not or will not effect your ATC, so all should be fine Aamir.

Thanks for the update Roland. Great addon, and thank you for making it freely available.

No Ron, Auto. No tinkering with aircraft required.

The ai addon does not or will not effect your ATC, so all should be fine Aamir.

Ok thanks, does this program work with any Airport, where does it draw the Sid/Star data from.....I kinda like to hit a start button and go you know, very busy with Fs2Crew Vatsim and the NGX.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom