Sign in to follow this  
188AHC

AOTD for 5/19/13 - Waihunehune Falls

Say than name 5 times real fast.  Today we seek another of Hawaii's famous waterfalls.

Enjoy.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Forget saying it - I wonder what it means! :lol:

Flying up the canyon.

Waihunehune_01_zps82eacbc4.jpg

The Falls below me.

Waihunehune_02_zps6a42f9c8.jpg

The Wailua Reservoir in sight.

Waihunehune_03_zpse2709edc.jpg

My destination - Hanamaulu - up ahead.

Waihunehune_04_zps4602fa57.jpg

Parked on the line, great vista! B)

Waihunehune_05_zpsf1a29e66.jpg

Best regards.

Luis

Hi Luis,

I fly Hawaii all the time and like searching for little gems like Waihunehune. I have the MegaScenery Oahu package and the Newport Hawaiian Island packages. Have you found a scenery addon for the big island? BTW, where are the falls at?

Rick Bertz

Via my iPad and Tapatalk

Sent from Rick 's iPad using Tapatalk

Rick, you realize we're talking about Microsoft Flight don't you?  There are at present no scenery add-ons for this sim.  I think you might be referring to FSX

This doesn't mean that you can't find these jewels in FSX, however. I don't know if they are there or not.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Hey Luis, that tree sure does look familiar. Well, this finally makes 300 aero-thinges for me. Still missing a few!

Steve

Hi Rick,

Thanks for asking. :smile:  I found the Falls by searching Google Maps and noting the coordinates, then plotting them on PlanG with a simple flight plan.

Very sorry, I cannot recommend any commercial scenery addons for Hawai'i because:

- I don't use any commercial addons at all. I always make my own. :lol:  And;

- I do not normally fly in Hawai'i, this is the first time in all my years with Flight Simulator (although the game hasn't always covered the entire world either.) I live in a tropical area that is vaster and more varied than the Hawai'ian Islands so never felt the need to go there.

So, I am not able to give you any advice, except, for what it's worth, that the best scenery that I have ever seen for Hawai'i and Alaska in FS is in... Microsoft Flight. B)

Please compare the screenshot above of Hanamaulu with the following taken in FS X:

Hanamaulu_FSX_zps0ecf6e9f.jpg

Here is the Honokaa dirt strip on The Big Island, first in FS X, then in Flight:

Honokaa_FSX_zps3f4d76b6.jpg

Papala_04_zps4d16800a.jpg

And images of the Waipio Valley on The Big Island, in FS X and Flight:

Waipio_Valley_FSX_zpsb4aabaa9.jpg

Aimoo_04_zps9cb184b7.jpg

And it's not just that the scenery is far superior to any previous version of FS. The flight and visual models of aircraft are greatly improved, effects are fabulous, and most of all there are no problems with performance at all. This is, I believe, the very first time that any version of FS can be run on any computer without problems. This alone justifies our very high opinion of this version of the game.

The only flaw with Flight is the lack of content, so if you want to fly outside of the limited areas or with more advanced aircraft, you will have to use other flight games, such as previous versions of FS or XPlane or other past games. But, you will face the same frustrations we all felt with them - unstable flight models, unrealistic scenery, lousy performance.

However, there is hope that we will soon be able to add both more scenery content and also extra aircraft. For my part, I am getting my scenery projects ready for the big day, looking forward to come back to the Caribbean for my flights. B)

So, if you like to fly in Hawai'i, you can download Flight with The Big Island of Hawai'i for free. You also get a Stearman and an amphibious ultralight, the Icon. It's well worth trying and many of us with great experience with previous versions of FS find it a wonderful flight simulator.

Best regards.

Luis