Sign in to follow this  
MDF86

When to turn FTX regions on and off?

Can someone please confirm when is the correct time to turn FTX regions on and off? My understanding is that if your flight involves flying over any region you have installed, they should be ON, otherwise they should be off.

So for example if I own England and Australia:

Heathrow to Amsterdam - England ON Australia OFF

Sydney to Delhi - England OFF Australia ON

Sydney to Heathrow - England ON Australia ON

Munich to Geneva - England OFF Australia OFF

Is this correct?

Thanks

You can't open both of them on same time and when you fly outside of a FTX region, you mostly see wrong mesh in other places. There is a product named FTX Global is coming next month and it covers the whole world so you won't have to switch everytime you want to fly.

FTX Global isn't going to fix these issues. The later product which features landclass is meant to get us rid of the control panel thing.

Hope so, the current situation is ridiculous.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

So if you had England and Australia and wanted to fly between the two, you would have to have England turned on for the departure and then switch over to Australia for the arrival, is that what you mean?

Basically, yes. I've been dwelling through ORBX forums but i didn't find yet a clear topic of what they are going to do with that situation. I just remember reading they are going to fix it (which will be awesome) i just don't know how.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I have the Orbx North America suite, and have not seen anything detrimental when I fly outside their coverage with FTX enabled. In fact, things seem to be better looking, although I admit I have not done an A/B comparison for validation. 

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Ok thanks. Just so I can ensure I'm doing things right...if I fly say from Belgium to Germany, should I have ORBX England turned OFF?

I have the Orbx North America suite, and have not seen anything detrimental when I fly outside their coverage with FTX enabled. In fact, things seem to be better looking, although I admit I have not done an A/B comparison for validation. 

These incompatibilities seem to plague EN only. I don't have the scenery so i've only witnessed mesh/landclass issues at a friend's house. I usually leave AU and NA active all the time (i managed to activate both at the same time) and have no issues whatsoever when flying in and out of them.

Yes my situation is very similar. I only have England presently and have flown around Western Europe and never noticed anything strange in other countries as a result of it being enabled. But as you say I have not done any A vs B comparisons to play spot the difference.

The reason I ask was I'm considering getting the Australia terrain and wasn't sure if this would have any effect with having two of their products, and whether I'd have to be constantly switching them on and off depending on whether I wanted to fly around Europe or Australia.

Hmmmm I enabled ORBX England and I've flown in Germany yesterday, I get blurries aaaaal the way. Or better to say, ground textures were not loading at all. Over England everything was perfect, and I get better fps than over Germany with UTX!

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I don't think you can start the Orbx control panel while fsx is running. So if you have Orbx Australia and PNW you would choose whether you want Orbx for your departure or for your arrival. 

1. You can't have more then one FTX region enabled at once. Before you start FSX you have to decide which region you want to enable or if you want to use FSX default scenery.

2. You can't switch FTX regions on and/or off during a flight. You would have to save the flight, quit FSX, switch regions, start FSX and load the flight again.

3. Some people report problems when flying above none-FTX regions while an FTX region is enabled. Some (most?) don't.

4. The upcoming FTX Global will be (at least out of the box) incompatible with FTX regions (so when you use FTX Global, you won't be able to use any FTX region at all). Obviously (one might say) this will be corrected in the future...

5. That correction in the future might make all off the above obsolete, which is something EVERYONE would be happy with.

So for now...

1. if you fly in and out of an FTX region, enable the region so at least you get pretty scenery above that region. Usually the default FSX regions won't look too odd.

2. If you don't fly above an FTX region, enable FSX default.

3. If you fly from one FTX region to another (that would be US, Europe or down under), you have to choose which one you want to enable. Unless you don't mind saving a flight and quitting FSX in the middle of a flight.

1. You can't have more then one FTX region enabled at once. Before you start FSX you have to decide which region you want to enable or if you want to use FSX default scenery.

2. You can't switch FTX regions on and/or off during a flight. You would have to save the flight, quit FSX, switch regions, start FSX and load the flight again.

3. Some people report problems when flying above none-FTX regions while an FTX region is enabled. Some (most?) don't.

4. The upcoming FTX Global will be (at least out of the box) incompatible with FTX regions (so when you use FTX Global, you won't be able to use any FTX region at all). Obviously (one might say) this will be corrected in the future...

5. That correction in the future might make all off the above obsolete, which is something EVERYONE would be happy with.

So for now...

1. if you fly in and out of an FTX region, enable the region so at least you get pretty scenery above that region. Usually the default FSX regions won't look too odd.

2. If you don't fly above an FTX region, enable FSX default.

3. If you fly from one FTX region to another (that would be US, Europe or down under), you have to choose which one you want to enable. Unless you don't mind saving a flight and quitting FSX in the middle of a flight.

This is troubling. So if I buy FTX Global and want to fly from Germany to England ( I own ORBX England ) I either have to have default FSX Germany textures or FTX Global England textures (therefore making my FTX England worthless) UNLESS i want to quit FSX mid-flight?

That's a big let down. I was of the impression that if I had FTX Global as well as FTX England, when flying over England the "better" FTX England product would be used and over regions where I have no additional FTX product, the FTX Global textures would be there.

JV never said that the regions would not work with FTX Global. What might not be ready is the ability to enable all the regions at the same time. This fix could be ready by the 6/15, but JV did not guarantee it.

As for enabling the regions, I only enable the regions when flying in the regions.

Here's what JV wrote:

"8. Right now when FTX Global is installed, it replaces the FSX Default and you switch to it using FTX Central. This means that until we solve technical issues around lclookup.bgl and other files, FTX Global is not seamlessly compatible with our FTX Central regions of North America, Oceania and Europe - however that is how it works right now in the alpha build but we will work very hard to remove the need to switch regions before release. If we can't solve that problem at the release, it will be done shortly after. It is in our interest, our customers' interest and other developers' interest to remove all incompatibilities but it's not a trivial task."

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.