Sign in to follow this  
delta november

BIG Problem, please HELP

Hi all,since some days now I have this nice one!Every time I start FS9, it tells me right away that I have not enough memory, FS9 cannot start.BUT I have cleaned up my partitions, all have more than 20% free space, the one where FS9 and the one where WinXP is installed have both enough free HDD memory. My SWAP Page file is 1534MB in size fixed. What is the problem??? I have tooo many pay-addons to reinstall everything from scratch!Do you have any idea what the cause of this problem realy is and how to solve it?

Guest Charlie Hall

Although I haven't done so myself, I have read that it is better to allow Windows to manage your page file. Hope this might help.

Right click the Internet Explorer icon, select properties, press the Delete Files... button, check the "Delete Offline files" checkbox, OK. Press the Delete Cookies... button unless you want to save some of your cookies. If you want to save some of your cookies, press the Setting... button, select View Files... button, select all the cookies you do NOT want to save and delete. Return to the Settings menu, press the View Objects... button, and review the list of objects, especially unknown and broken objects. Delete unknown objects that you didn't purposely install, delete broken objects, and delete known objects if they are of no use anymore. Return to the Internet Properties menu and press the Clear History button, OK. Press the OK button on the Internet Properties menu to exit the menu.Press Start, select My Computer, right click the disk drive containing Windows, usually C:, select properties, press Disk Cleanup button, press OK, Yes. Exit to your desktop.Start the flight simulator to see if the problem still exists.W. Sieffert

Hi Sieffert,well,whatever I try doesnt help at all! As soon FS9 has detected the 4.CD and starts, it freezes with the known error message that I do not have enough memory. I regulary clean my IE and Firefox chaches and history and cookies. I have just cleaned other partitions, got rid of FS2k2 and made room to move real BIG video directories to this new created free space etc. But I didnt touch the FS9 Partition nor the WindowsXPpro Partition. Just cleaned up with cached files etc.I have run a FULL ScanDisk / CheckDisc over the FS9 partition, which is greather than 90GB! It took some hours! I have enough space for the page files as well as free space even with a 2GB page file. I tried to have a fixed one as well as letting XP do the management on its own. Nothing of that solved my problem. I am about chewing my wooden desk!!!Would it maybe solve it by running the new and latest FS9 patch???? There is even a german version out now and I already downloaded it. Can it destroy more than the problem size I already have? I probably am about installing FS9 new from scratch. THAT will need a looong time, many many hours ahead! I have sooo many aircrafts and scenery so that I fill up more than 70GB of HDD space!

What is the 90GB doing? How many AI aircraft do you have installed? I don't think the patch is going to fix your problem. Have you tried renaming your fs9.cfg to fs9.OLD, restart FS2004 and see if the problem is corrected?If the above doesn't correct the problem, copy the entire flight simulator 9 folder and rename the copy FS2004OLD.Uninstall FS2004 using the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs menu. Once uninstalled, use Windows Explorer to delete any residual Flight Simulator 9 folders (Do not delete FS2004OLD). Reinstall FS2004 to the same location. Once installed, start FS2004, let it stabilize and see if the problem is corrected. If so, rename the new Flight Simulator 9 folder to FS2004NEW. Rename FS2004OLD to Flight Simulator 9. Start the FS2004 and see if the problem returns. If so, rename Flight Simulator 9 folder to FS2004OLD, then rename FS2004NEW to Flight Simulator 9. Start FS2004 and ensure the new installation still works.If the new installation works, patch to FS9.1. Copy from FS2004OLD to the new installation until the problem arises.W. Sieffert

Hi,I have 62.1GB in use of FS9. That is the size FS9 and all its sub-directories have at my FS9 Partition.I have about ALL payware Scenery you can get, without the latest France and South-America/Mexico Sceneries. I have as well about ALL payware aircrafts for FS9 you can buy.I use UT and GA-Traffic, have converted many payware aircrafts for use as compressed GA-Traffic AI aircrafts.I have NO other partition which could backup these 62GB!!! I would need to buy a new harddrive for that, if I realy would go the way you wrote.What I can do is rename my installed FS9 directory, delete the microsoft entry within my registry and install FS9 again at the same partition. Patch it and move all my scenery over as well as all my aircrafts. But step by step and run FS9 after each to check if it still works. With all the scenery areas I created and all the aircrafts, panels and gauges, this way would need a week to be done!I patched alright FS9, but the problem still comes up as soon as I try to start FS9... I realy am going crazy now!

Hi Torben;You might look at "system properties"..."memory usage" and make sureits set to "programs" instead of"System Cache".DN

grin... as a pc-technican for Windows 98, NT4, 2000, XP, MAC os9.x, MAC X.2 and SuSE 8.1 to 9.0 and as MultiMedia-Producer I realy know such little things...Yup, of course I have it as you wrote. I as well am able to tune with XSetup and wintune.Sorry, getting mad now. Not with you, but with WinXP and FS9... I guess I have to reinstall all over agaian and to be able to backup I have to buy a little new HDD for FS9.

(Sheepish Grin)OOPPSS! HEHE! Well in any event I have similar equipment to yoursand at one time the same problem.The only thing that worked for me was a cold boot....a restartwould'nt do it and even at that I had to launch FS immediatly.If I let the system idle for 5 min on desktop got the mem shortagemessage.I got the problem solved however.I' glad you were not offended.:-beerchug DN