Sign in to follow this  
Manstan

Links to simple tutorials?

Please excuse me. I have ADHD and get real confused in forums. I'm looking for simple easy to follow tutorials for modding. I am a texture artest working with Genetica 4, and PSPX, as well as a modeler working with Hexagon and a CG artest working with Carrara.

I'm trying to gather together the tools for the job, but would really apreciate the tutorials.

Yes, but I have always found forum searchs to be more confusing and aggrivating then helpful ;)

Note: I have been a fan of the canvis falcons since I put to gether my first model at 8; snoopy and the red barron lol

Sorry my spell checker doesn't work with this forum format. :(

Then you might want to check out AVSIM's Scenery Design forum.  That forum has the tools and tutorials you need to begin modeling.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Well I am at a loss. I've looked, looked, and looked again and jsut can't find a simple step by step for anything. Most all of the tutorials I have found are for intermediate

and advanced steps, Nothing to get me started. In fact I wounder if the tutorials I have found are even for the version; build number, I have. The free planes certainly aren't.

And I really wanted to be flying that Dr1.

Manstan,

You might want to try asking in the FSX forum at Sim Outhouse. Several modders and repainters are active members there, and they are generally very friendly and helpful. You'll also find some brand new repaints (from just last week) for the Neoqb Dr-1. If you don't have the original model, I'll bet someone can help you get ahold of that also. (You'll need to register for the forum to be able to post a message.)

One other thing... If you're into World War I aviation, and you haven't tried Rise of Flight, then you really should!

Good luck!

jsut can't find a simple step by step for anything. Most all of the tutorials I have found are for intermediate

I do not think there is anything simple in the process if you are like me and know little about Photoshop or Paint and, what you are considering as intermediate are probably simple instructions for scenery designers or repainters.  I think most people tried via trial and error and finally learned the process.  This is why AVSIM has these forums so you can jump into the process and, if you have a question on how to accomplish a particular task in the process, you can ask there and you should receive a response from one of the designers/repainters.  I believe there should be a tutorial like "Aircraft Repainting for Dummies" or "Scenery Design for Dummies" with lots of pictures and examples but it could be an issue as the writer might be trotting on someone else's creative writings on the subject.  Maybe someone who's really knowledgeable of this stuff could do something like this and maybe even charge a price for the product.  I know there are other authors out there who wrote books on how to operate a Boeing 737 like Captain Mike and he obviously did not plagiarize someone else's work.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I remember there was a series about that in a (no longer existing) German flight sim magazine about repainting, which was supposed to be easy to follow. It actually met most (if not all) of Jim's requirements, but they didn't know my ignorance with picture editing programs :rolleyes:! My first repaint was a complete failure, and I've never had any ambitions in repainting again. One thing that experience told me though is to have the highest respect for all the repainters.

Thanks all I do appreciate the help, but I am just getting more confused by the minute. What I have apparently isn't MS FSX I just have Microsoft flight. Similar but not the same. In MS flight all the game content is compressed. I can unpack it but the unpacked folders aren't what the sim uses. PKzip may unpack the content but I am pessimistic it can repack it. Although it may be no more then changing the name of the file extension. I know what I am doing but apparently I don't have the right version of MS flight to actually be doing anything.

Ok, one long duh. I'm just being thick folks. Apparently I have wasted a lot of my time, and a bit of yours. It's quite clear what I have is the free version that apparently can't be modded. Not having the $ to spare for the proper MS FSX, I guess I'm done here. Sorry for my thickness.

What I have apparently isn't MS FSX I just have Microsoft flight.  [...] that apparently can't be modded.

Well, I guess we all assumed you're talking about MS FSX, as this is the FSX forum. It looks like it's possible to do repaints for MS Flight, though. Have you asked your question in the MS Flight forum?

I did myself. Never realized there was 2 versions of the same game running at the same time. A first for me.

But after doing the resaerch I should have done before I downloaded MSFS, I'm not so sure I'm going to spend any more time with it. From what I have read MSFS and MSFSX are both out of production. Not sure I want to get involved with something that is no longer in development. {although they maybe debatable with MSFSX}

I'm checking on an alturnative, but it's open source. Gimp and Blender are open source, I use Photofilter and Carrara ;) Open source is just too much like pot luck lol

Maybe it's because I am so used to alpha/beta testing. If there are bugs or issues with a game I like to think they maybe addressed.

I wonder why there isn't a combat flight sim? Seems like such a gimmy. Shooter, MMO, squad based seems like such a natural. For me it would probably be the only sort of squad based PVP I might enjoy. I know someplace around here I have the old Fighter squadren game {deamons over europe I beleave}.

Never realized there was 2 versions of the same game running at the same time.

Only one is a game. :ph34r:

Only one is a game. :ph34r:

I get your point. I'm a racer fan and I hate to call a good sim a "game".