Sign in to follow this  
CyberMike

updating what fps increase to expect

HI

I'm thinking of updating my 5y old core2 3ghz, gtx 460 to a i5 and GTX660. Should I upgrade anything else, like memory or do you suggest something else? A i7 maybe?

Anyway what FPS increase should I see approximately in FSX (and also x-plane)? Would I need to reinstall my various OS?

Thanks

You are going to need a new motherboard and memory. The mobo because of the socket difference, the memory because of the speed difference.

Compared to an old C2D, I'm just guessing even though I do have a C2D 6700 sitting around, but double to triple the FPS or being able to "turn things up" and still get better performance.

HI

I'm thinking of updating my 5y old core2 3ghz, gtx 460 to a i5 and GTX660. Should I upgrade anything else, like memory or do you suggest something else? A i7 maybe?

Anyway what FPS increase should I see approximately in FSX (and also x-plane)? Would I need to reinstall my various OS?

Thanks

i7 3770k  is the way to go  fps will not be a problem  anymore   , 

Oh good, I was fearing only 25% or so increase which would not rectify all the hassle and money.

This cpu seems even better to me as it's about the same price? That's a 4 core right?
https://www.digitec.ch/ProdukteDetails2.aspx?Reiter=Details&Artikel=234799

You agree? If so I'll put my udate together around that probably using Asus stuff. Should I bother about a
SD HD?
Thanks

PS: how did you get 4.5 cpu speed (as in your profile)?

This cpu seems even better to me as it's about the same price? That's a 4 core right?

https://www.digitec....&Artikel=234799

If you mean the 3820, I believe that's a Sandybridge. The architecture isn't as fast as an i73770k Ivy Bridge.

PS: how did you get 4.5 cpu speed (as in your profile)?

He's overclocked it, as have I.

Why don't you wait until Haswell? It's going to be released next month so you can get yourself an i5 4570K or i7 4770K. Also NVIDIA releases their 700 series next week so you can get yourselves a GTX 760 or better. Going for older generations is only going to give you lower value for the price.