Sign in to follow this  
Guest Id Rather Be Flying

New Flight Simulator

I am just curious if most people here would be interested in a NEW Flight Simulator that fixes what Microsoft didn't and takes off from there.  I have Prepar3d and I feel what Lockheed has done is good so far but there's still is a long way to go.

The proposal:  You can import your existing Microsoft FSX aircraft and some scenery items depending on what it is.

You will feel a world that is familiar yet fixes those things that people wished were fixed from FSX.  The reason I ask is that this MAY become a reality in the future.  I am curious what people would want or wouldn't want and how come as well as the importance!  Thanks.

I personally wanted a better weather system that was more dynamic and more realistic especially volumetric clouds and lighting as I always felt the simulation fell short with the billboard clouds.

1. You are ready to write a new program?

2. You purchased the FSX code and now are adapting it in order to accept FSX aircraft?

3. You are gathering a wish list?

4. You are wasting time and forum space?

5. What is your point?

After 20+ years of development, FSX is packed with features and details. Moreover, the support of third party companies extend the feature set and quality of FSX, so that the FSX experience is almost impossible for a new entrant to match. Just look at  Aerofly FS. Stunning graphics. Awesome scenery. But it sits unused on my shelf at home because it totally fails to meet my expectations for a flight sim. And that‘s the same with almost every other alternative I’ve tried recently (RoF, DCS, X-P9, ILS-CoD). They have their strengths but I always come back to FSX because it has the most complete feature set. But nothing lasts forever, and after 15 years of regular flight simming, I’m having trouble maintaining enthusiasm for software that is looking dated compared with modern offerings in other genres. And let’s face it, FSX never really ran well, even on the best hardware. There are always new problems and I still spend a lot of time tweaking. I hope we can maintain the feature set of FSX and move forward into the future with P3D. If there is another alternative in the wings (sorry!), I'd like to hear about it!

Cheers,

Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

2. You purchased the FSX code and now are adapting it in order to accept FSX aircraft?

5. What is your point?

Rude!!!

I'd want something like XPlane 10 that can use EVERY FSX addon, that would be ideal, or to have a flight sim that doesnt take weeks to re-install and reconfigure every time it goes pear shaped!

If it was 64Bit, DX11, well supported and maintained, had awesome weather and scenery, I'd happily pay £250+ for it and have it 1 package, install it and just fly the damn thing rather than have to spend months re-installing stuff over, and over, and over again, and learning how to tweak the damn sim...

Heck at £250+ I'd still consider it a bargain.

5. What is your point?

Point 1. and 3. and it has already been started! :-)

If it was 64Bit, DX11, well supported and maintained, had awesome weather and scenery

That's a big part of the goal!

Rude!!!

LOL. I am just as curious as the OP and wrote a few additional questions.

5. What is your point?

Lockheed has that right already and are happy to build on & use what exists.  This is starting from todays technology (64bit/Multithreaded/DX11) and moving forward with what was GOOD about FS!

Well said Pete. :rolleyes:

Lockheed has that right already and are happy to build on & use what exists.  This is starting from todays technology (64bit/Multithreaded/DX11) and moving forward with what was GOOD about FS!

And they may have something ready by 2016 if you buy into the rumors.

But it sits unused on my shelf at home because it totally fails to meet my expectations for a flight sim. And that‘s the same with almost every other alternative I’ve tried recently (RoF, DCS, X-P9, ILS-CoD).

Hence why I feel it's high time to move in the right direction!

Realist!

That remains to be seen doesn't it.  I could have just kept silent and kept it all for myself too you know! :)

Actually Jim, this is being done by myself and others not Lockheed.  I started programming 35 years ago when I was 9 years old and built as much of a flight sim as I could with 2K on my Vic-20 so i feel it's time to come full circle and build the next iteration where Microsoft left off.   It's fine and expected to have skeptics and who knows I could be killed by a bus or a plane or stress from my C++ code.  I plan to pursue this and welcome help and encouragement along the way hence why I decided to say something.  Thanks for reading and your input is greatly appreciated!