Sign in to follow this  
Guest Id Rather Be Flying

New Flight Simulator

I plan to pursue this and welcome help and encouragement along the way hence why I decided to say something.  Thanks for reading and your input is greatly appreciated!

I'd say whatever the new product is, make it familiar to FSX users. As much as possible, same hotkeys, menu labels etc, etc.

That would make it a lot easier for current FSX users to embrace the product.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

Actually Jim, this is being done by myself and others not Lockheed.  I started programming 35 years ago when I was 9 years old and built as much of a flight sim as I could with 2K on my Vic-20 so i feel it's time to come full circle and build the next iteration where Microsoft left off.   It's fine and expected to have skeptics and who knows I could be killed by a bus or a plane or stress from my C++ code.  I plan to pursue this and welcome help and encouragement along the way hence why I decided to say something.  Thanks for reading and your input is greatly appreciated!

Please keep us updated!

I'd say whatever the new product is, make it familiar to FSX users.

That is a major underlying design principle for it.

Perhaps if you showed us what you have so far it may dispel the doubters?

Sorry Howard, time is not right for that. And there will ALWAYS be doubters even with showing things!

Sorry Howard, time is not right for that. And there will ALWAYS be doubters even with showing things!

So you want to build something we want, but you dont want to show us what your building that we might happily pay for someday?

Bit pointless really isnt it? Surely, there is always a right time to show folk what your doing for them, unless its something that requires you to patent it?

The proposal:  You can import your existing Microsoft FSX aircraft and some scenery items depending on what it is.

You will feel a world that is familiar yet fixes those things that people wished were fixed from FSX.  The reason I ask is that this MAY become a reality in the future.  I am curious what people would want or wouldn't want and how come as well as the importance!  Thanks.

Obviously, if you have been a user of FSX, you probably already know what is really needed from this software, that isn't being provided, like the 64bit support.

On top of that, I would like to see sloping runways, and built in realistic ATC.

A controller interface similar to FSUIPC, but built into the sim, where you can set up custom controller profiles for individual aircraft that are added on.  Controller setup interface should be extremely intuitive and user friendly.

So you want to build something we want, but you dont want to show us what your building that we might happily pay for someday?

Bit pointless really isnt it? Surely, there is always a right time to show folk what your doing for them, unless its something that requires you to patent it?

Assuming that Carmine is sincere, I don't think it is pointless at all.

If he releases what he says that he is working on, there will be a mad rush to purchase it, whether he tells you what it is now or not.

I don't see where it would benefit him or the product by giving more information than he is comfortable with.  It would just satisfy your curiosity, which would be pointless.

We don't have something that we would like to show currently.  When the time is right, you will be sure to know. We could have chosen to remain silent but the idea was to get input to develop things  with feedback that may have not been considered, not show something and say HEY how do you guys like this now what should we change?  If you don't like that then I'm sorry for wasting your time and if you'd like to ignore this then you're free to do so and I apologize for wasting your time.  If you're interested in helping move the project along with ideas and things you'd like to see then I'm all ears.

Thank you!

Much has already been written on what people wanted from the next version of FSX. Most of it in the MS Flight forum, obviously MS Flight utterly failed to deliver anything like that hoped for by most of the AVSIM community. 

A quick search through the MS Flight archive (those posts about MS Flight before it was released) would soon find one of the many wishlist threads.

http://forum.avsim.net/forum/487-microsoft-flight-archive/

Good luck to Carmine with trying to get a new simulator up and running.

Much of the sceptism he is reading in this thread is from people who know how much of a difficult task that would be. After all , MS had 20 odd people working full time on MS Flight for 3 years and all they could produce was a cutdown version of FSX with Hawaii and a small handful of airplanes.

Many, many, many projects are announced in the flight sim community but only a small percentage ever come to fruition. The cold hard reality of all the work involved can quickly squash the bright wide eyed optimism of starting a new project. 

www.antsairplanes.com

Many, many, many projects are announced in the flight sim community but only a small percentage ever come to fruition. The cold hard reality of all the work involved can quickly squash the bright wide eyed optimism of starting a new project. 

Thank you anthony for the link and I will have to parse through there.  I am well aware of those announcements and I HOPE that we won't fall victim to the same fate.  It IS possible but I currently don't see that.  On the FLIPSIDE, this could be a project that takes YEARS to have something that matters so I'm not giving any timeframes one way or the other.  If my arm was twisted, I would like to think that in a year there will be a beta available but PLEASE don't hold my feet to the fire!  Remember, this is a large passion of mine since forever and thankfully I have the skillsets and WE as a community have the resources today to give us what I believe we would all want that FSX fell short on!  That's the long and short of it as far as I see it and welcome any/all help/feedback and/or criticisms.

Carmine 

I see no reason to give discouraging words on this.  I believe there is someone out there, who can see the market potential of perfected and up-to-date FSX-like product, and have the knowledge and resources needed to bring it into reality.

Whoever is willing to do it, and keep updating the product providing good support, would profit considerably from the effort.

The flightsim community is pretty addicted to the hobby.

Assuming that no one else can do a successful flight simulator is like assuming that a Juan Terry Trippe would not come along and make affordable international commercial flight a reality in the 1930s.

I can share just some brief design elements currently:

The Weather/ATC/AI will be a module(s) that would run OUTSIDE of the Flight Sim environment and feed the data to the sim as an outside executable which can be run on any network PC or on the same machine of course.  This design model allows the resources to be fully concentrated on that of the PIC/environment as well allowing third party applications fully control any of those elements with replacements.

I can share just some brief design elements currently:

The Weather/ATC/AI will be a module(s) that would run OUTSIDE of the Flight Sim environment and feed the data to the sim as an outside executable which can be run on any network PC or on the same machine of course.  This design model allows the resources to be fully concentrated on that of the PIC/environment as well allowing third party applications fully control any of those elements with replacements.

Ok....now I'm excited!  I know...it didn't take much, but, what can I say?  

I will certainly be watching this thread.  

Carmin, if you have a website or blog, please post it for us.

Sounds like you're hitting all the right points, I wish you the best of luck!

I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind and are comfortable answering.

Do you have a team of developers or is it a one man show for now?

Is this a full-time project?

Do you have experience with DX10/11?

Are you planning on leveraging the power of the modern GPU via tesselation or other methods to offload calculations from the CPU? (Please say yes)

Will the sim feature a real-world scenery model or a "plausible world" model?

Do you have plans for an SDK?

Have you spoken with any add-on developers to gauge interest?

How do you intend to preserve add-on compatibility and to what degree?

Do you have any legal concerns, or is this an entirely new program?

Have you considered Kickstarter or similar crowd-sourced funding methods to really get the ball rolling?

That's all I can think of for now, thanks and good luck!

i wish you luck. i think you should create a blog and keep us updated with your progress. maybe in 6 month or so you can create a kickstarter. 

you should also try to make it open source of some kind. i think that way the community can really come togather and help you out

"if you build it, they will come"...........!

5Take Care, Will Clark

My computer: Intel 14900K, Motherboard ROR Maximus Z790 Formula, PSU Dark Power 1600, Ram DDR5 (7200) Vengeance 32GB CL38, ASUS 4090, Keyboard Logitech ASUS, Mouse ROCCAT LEADR Wireless, Corsair M.2 SSD 4TB x2, Headset Astro A50 Wireless, Microphone Elgato Wave 3, Stream Deck Elgato XL, GoXLR, Loopdeck Live, Chair Steelcase Gesture with Headrest, Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG White, Custom Built water cooling, Ek Lian li xl distro plate, Fittings EK & Bitspower, Monitor LG C1 48 OLED, Desk Speakers Audio Engine A5+ White.