Sign in to follow this  
MDF86

Strange Windows 7 behaviour after existing FSX

I have various problems that occur in Windows 7 sometimes/nearly always after exiting FSX. Of the problems I've discovered so far:

- Cannot move things to recycle bin from desktop (i.e. screenshots). The icons stay on the desktop even after moving to the recycle bin, but when you browse to desktop in Windows Explorer, the files are gone.

- Firefox will not start. The process is running but the browser never appears.

- When I try to log off, the "Logging Off" screen appears indefinitely until I reset my PC.

Anyone know what causes such strange issues?

Thanks

- Cannot move things to recycle bin from desktop (i.e. screenshots). The icons stay on the desktop even after moving to the recycle bin, but when you browse to desktop in Windows Explorer, the files are gone.

- Firefox will not start. The process is running but the browser never appears.

- When I try to log off, the "Logging Off" screen appears indefinitely until I reset my PC.

You have major problems with your computer that you need to get fixed before things get worse.  For Firefox, here's a link on how to fix this problem - http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/942159.  For logging off problems, here's the solution to this problem - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-7-hangs-up-when-logging-off/e2d1b3a1-19fc-4959-81d6-07480d08096c.

When you move things to the recycle bin, the best method is to right click the icon and select "Delete".  It will then be deleted and moved to the recycle bin.  Periodically you need to right click the recycle bin and select "Empty Recycle Bin" as the things you delete will remain until you do this.  Once you do this action though, the items are permanently deleted from your computer system. 

You should periodically run a program that will automatically clean up your system and system registry like CCleaner.  At the minimum, you should right click your HDD (like C:\) and select Properties.  Once open, select Clean Disk.  I run a program called Advanced System Care Pro 6 that cleans up my system.  I run it once a week.  It's freeware but for it to do more than just clean your system, you can pay a small annual fee too.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

Thank you for your response, however this only and exclusively happens with FSX. I play many other games and intensive applications and have no "general" PC issues at all that I've noticed.

I will check out CCleaner/Advanced System Care though, thanks for the help.

Martin

I have fewer system problems if I reboot after running FSX.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I have fewer system problems if I reboot after running FSX.

Hook

System problems? Why would you have system problems after running a program and exiting?

System problems? Why would you have system problems after running a program and exiting?

I don't know, but that's kind of why I started this thread! No other applications cause bizarre windows behaviour afterwards but FSX has its own rules!

Have you gone into your Events Viewer to check whether there is an entry for some kind of error when exiting FSX? I think this may be the place to start trying to solve your issue. Control Panels -> Event Viewer -> (left pane) Windows Logs -> Application. Scroll down in the middle pane and look for any red !Error icons, click on them and see if the "Faulting Application" is FSX.exe. If so, might be helpful to copy and paste (here) the information that appears for one of those under the General tab.

Also, as a wild stab, are you flying with VATSIM? After I installed the VATSIM interface software FSX began crashing while quitting about 50% of the time -- even if I didn't fly VATSIM..This is not a slam at the VATSIM software, but I can tell you absolutely that since I uninstalled FSINN and FSCopilot 3 months ago I haven't had a single repeat of that error.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

Resets memory?

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10