Sign in to follow this  
jmdriskell

Scenery and Airport Recommandations

Hello,

I'm looking for recommendations on scenery and airports for FSX.  I have the following installed:  FSGenesis North America, Atlantic, Mexico, South America and part of Northern Europe/Asia, Ultimate Terrain X - USA and Aerosoft Approaching Innsbruck X.  I like what I see in the one Aerosoft product that I have.  What about the other airports they offer?  What about freeware?  Should I install Ultimate Terrain X - Europe?

How 'bout various products offered from Flyawaysimulation?  Any help will be appreciated?

Thanks,

Jim Driskell

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

FTX Global which is released soon seems to be a game-changing product for those who don't want to add on hundreds of seperate products but enjoy some improvement over default FSX environment.

FlyTampa Geneva is superb and all of the UK2000 extreme airports are great.

For airports anything from the following developers won't disappoint you.

FSDreamteam

Flytampa

Flightbeam

For overall world texture replacement, I'd wait for Orbx's FTX Global.  For highly detailed regions which include buildings and autogen, look at the few regions offered by Orbx.

FlyTampa Geneva is superb and all of the UK2000 extreme airports are great.

There is no Geneva airport, can it be FSDreamteam?

It all depends very much on your preferred flying:

For GA ORBX NA, especially PNW because of the loads of available airports/airfields, is the way to go IMO.

For airliner flying I second the previous advice - FlyTampa (my favorites are St. Marteen and The Grenadines as well as Kai Tak) and FSDT offer top notch products, and FSDT also offers a demo version!

Regarding the Aerosoft airports you have to be very careful, becaues they usually do not develop airprts themselves, but hire external developers, and depending on the team the results are very different. But some of the ir addons are deinitely worth the money, for example Dusseldorf or Munich as well as the Balearics. Others, like Paris CDG are not as good, because the performance is rather bad.

For freeware, I'd recommend searching the Avsim library as well, there are some excellent things here, and also Avsim.ru, they got some excellent freeware sceneries, not only for Russia/former USSR, but also for some other, mainly rather unusual places, like Africa or Afghanistan IIRC.

Need to 2nd Florian's recommendation on differentiating Aerosoft scenery.

Good ones, published by AS, are, for example:

- PANC,

- PAFA,

- that medium-size field "near" Geneva, called Friedrichshafen (EDNY)

- and, of course, some more (in Greece, for example: Mykonos, Corfu, Skiathos ...).

But you DO have to check them out first, one by one ...

and, of course, some more (in Greece, for example: Mykonos, Corfu, Skiathos ...).

Silly me, how could i forget those Greek islands :rolleyes: ? They're absolutely great, among the best addons for FSX!

NL2000 that some awesome freeware, photo scenery with realistic landmarks. My taste are different somewhat perfer vfr flying to small airstrips over big cities. Want to see Orbx world screen shots when some buy it to compare to GEX world.

GEX textures work best with Ultimate Terrain X if you do not plan to install photoscenery.  GEX textures replace all of the default textures and are optimized and provide better performance.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks so much for all the recommendations.  Y'all have given me lots to think about and that's part of the fun of putting together the package.

Jim Driskell

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

I would not buy GEX now: wait until FTX Global has been released and then decide on what's best.