Sign in to follow this  
Guest squale

A few questions about Active Camera and a few other addons...

Guest Caveman

I have a TIR... Is there any reason that I should have AC? Are the two compatible? Will AC add to the experience of the TIR?How about Active Sky? Why would I need a program to help me generate weather when FS already does this?Do addons like this cause an FPS drop or are they very benign since they are essentially "part of the program"?

I've got a TIR 2 and Active Camera. I've disabled head latency in AC as instructed for TIR users, but even with that I find Active Camera is still a valuable addon. I find myself using the mouse and wheel zooming in spot view quite a lot and the fly-by views a bit as well. I have found no drop in frame rates when using either AC or TrackIR. When I first installed the FS9.1 update I hadn't updated my Active Camera, and even with my TIR I was finding that I missed AC terribly. That said, I wouldn't say Active Camera "adds to the experience" of the TIR as much as it provides other useful features that have nothing to do with head movement.

Guest Janey

Hiya Caveman :)I use Active Camera and I couldn't live without it, the panable VC mouse view being the feature I use most and if you also like making FS movies it is just about invaluable. I don't know about TIR but does it involve having something on your head? lolI have also recently started using Active Sky 2004. I held off for a long time thinking it probably wasn't much better than the default FS weather but how wrong I was! The weather it produces is way way better than anything the default FS weather can generate, it is more varied, more accurate, less generic and its ability to give you a route based weather report is absolutely brilliant! Both programs do not seem to affect performance at all although obviously if Active Sky summons up some serious weather your frame rates are going to drop through the floor but that is not the programs fault! To me both programs fill in holes left by Microsoft in the development of FS and it wouldn't surprise me if they borrow some of the features of both programs for any future release of FS.

TrackIR do have an impact on performance but only a few procent not much to argue about. Also the higher framerate you got the smoother the panning but that is the same with Active camera as well.I have both couldn

Guest squale

I don't understand what this mouse zoom function is all about.. if you are flying in the VC with TrackIR what does Active Cam do for you in addition?

Guest Zevious Zoquis

You can zoom in and out with the mouse wheel for one thing. I just got AC myself though so I'm not sure if that's what "mouse zoom" refers to. Using the wheel for zooming does work very well though. I was quite surprised both by how well AC works and by how small the impact was on performance. I only have a P4 1.8 with 768 megs of ram and a GF4Ti4200 and I was very pleasantly surprised to discover that panning around the VC with the mouse using AC is actually considerably smoother than using the hat switch without AC. I doubt I lost even 1 fps overall...

Can someone answer a question for me regarding Active Camera? Ive been using it for a looong time and love using the ground roll feature which lets you "feel" when youve become airborne and lets you "feel" when youve touched down. Will this feature still work if i use TIR?...i also read that TIR has its own head latency feature, is this true and does it work as well as AC's head latency?The bottom line is that wouldnt want to lose either of these 2 features should i decide to go with TIR in the near future so thats why im asking (building my xmas list to give my better half:-))Thanks LOLDave

Guest squale

What is head latency all about?

Guest Zevious Zoquis

Head Latency is a visual effect that sort of simulates how your head (if you were actually piloting a real aircraft) moves independantly of the structure of the cockpit around you. So, if you for instance make a sharp left turn, the cockpit on screen actually shifts a bit to the left as though your head was actually moving slightly behind the cockpit itself. Its a cool effect as long as its not overdone. AC allows you to adjust it to personal taste.

Head latency means that say you are into a dive and then go out of it. Now your head is quite heavy so it want to continue down that is what head latency is.You can have the ground effects and just disable head latency which TRACKIR already got so you don

Guest squale

Does anybody have Active Webcam 2004 Version 1.0? I can't find this one for download?