Sign in to follow this  
felipeturbay

alternative destination

hello guys,

I am trying different things with my new PMDG 737, question regarding the alternative destination: once I enter the alternative airport, how can I activate it? for instance, after a missed approach?

Thanks for your tipps!

once I enter the alternative airport, how can I activate it? for instance, after a missed approach?

Small correction first: "alternate airport" :wink:

Just because you went missed on an approach does not mean you're immediately going to an alternate, just to be clear. Weather can change quickly, so it's entirely possible that, by the time you're done with the missed approach procedure and the vectors back around, that the weather has lifted a bit. So, it's not so much for missed approach purposes, it's more that you've decided to go to your alternate.

If I'm remembering correctly, the alternate airport page is simply one for planning and information purposes. Since ATC does not know which route you would follow to get there, you'd have to advise them of your decision:

"Potomac Approach, Blue Ridge 1334 will be diverting to BWI."

They would, of course, respond with either a clearance, or at the very least, a temporary heading/altitude:

"Blue Ridge 1334, roger. Climb and maintain 7000. Cleared to Baltimore airport via direct wEstMInster, direct. Contact Potomac approach on 128.7."

At that point, you would go to the RTE page and replace your original route with KIAD - KBWI, adding EMI on page 2 of the RTE pages. This allows you to quickly select the approach DEP/ARR they'll give you when you check in with the next controller.

"Potomac Approach, Blue Ridge 1334, 7000."

"Blue Ridge 1334, Potomac Approach - expect ILS Runway 33L approach. Baltimore altimeter 29.87."

...and you're sorted like it's just the end to a regular flight.

Kyle Rodgers

In the NGX simulation, just replacing your destination airport by the alternate would do. (no need to re-enter the origin; no technical requirement to add a waypoint in between)

After replacing the DEST you can choose the arrival from your DEP/ARR page. (which will add a couple of waypoints before the landing rwy)

Just remember to go to the LEGS page, close the discontinuity by up-selecting your new approach and EXEC ...

"Potomac Approach, Blue Ridge 1334 will be diverting to BWI."
Blue Ridge? Now you're just making things up.

Matt Cee

Blue Ridge? Now you're just making things up.

Haha - figments of my imagination.

Kyle Rodgers

So flying on Vatsim and i'm offered another airfield because of better atc, how do i enter a new destination within the 737ngx fmc whilst in flight?

any advice would be greatly received.

As said above, go to the RTE page and enter the airport you are diverting to in the destination field.

So flying on Vatsim and i'm offered another airfield because of better atc, how do i enter a new destination within the 737ngx fmc whilst in flight?

any advice would be greatly received.

Read post 3 of this  thread

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg