Sign in to follow this  
TracyQ

Real world Cessna drivers, pedal use/position question?

Hi, I just got a set of Saitek "Pro Flight Cessna Rudder Pedals",   supposedly copied from the real thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-Flight-Cessna-CES432070002-02/dp/B0058FADEA

My question is where do I put my feet?   There is a kind of "cup" in the middle  of pedal,  and I am wondering what goes in that "cup"?   The heel of my foot?   The ball of the foot?  

Dumb question, I suppose,  but it has been over 40 years since I've piloted a real Cessna 152.  As a student, of course.

In my opinion, that pedals looks nothing like C172 pedals I flown. The gap between pedals is too wide... Anyway, I think it's not a heel rest, because in that way there are no support plate for your fingers.

In my opinion, that pedals looks nothing like C172 pedals I flown. The gap between pedals is too wide... Anyway, I think it's not a heel rest, because in that way there are no support plate for your fingers.

Yes, all the reviews do say that the pedals are too far apart.  Fingers?

Yes, all the reviews do say that the pedals are too far apart.  Fingers?

I'm sorry, I wanted to say - toes  :lol:

They look good, although indeed a little far apart. If they're a good representation of the Cessna pedals then they should be toe brakes, free at the bottom. With this setup, it's best to rest your whole foot on the pedal. Your heel is controlling the non-braked depression of the pedal, and your toes are ready with the brakes.

Elijah Hoyt
747ST.jpg
CFI, CFII, CMEL, CSEL, CSES, IFR

I've got the combat pedals. I rest the ball of my foot (the middle part) on the bottom of the pedals and when braking I "hop" up to the toe brakes. This is how I remember doing it with the piper warrior I used to fly.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I've got the combat pedals. I rest the ball of my foot (the middle part) on the bottom of the pedals and when braking I "hop" up to the toe brakes. This is how I remember doing it with the piper warrior I used to fly.

Kind of what I figured,  but wasn't sure. 

You never put your whole foot on the pedal, unless you are using the brakes, so only the front part of your feet control the rudder at the bottom of the pedals, making sure you leave the brakes alone.

In the RW 172 your heels would be on the cockpit floor (deck) and the ball / upper portion of the foot on the part of the pedal that projects out (the lower portion).  Toe brakes are applied by sliding your foot up a bit (heel below that projecting piece).  The Saitek version looks as if it has less clearance from the bottom of the pedal portion to the base of the unit - and agree with g_p that the pedals are much wider apart than the RW pair - but will spare you the occasional ankle 'clip' with the opposite heel that is brief but can be surprisingly painful.

In the RW 172 your heels would be on the cockpit floor (deck) and the ball / upper portion of the foot on the part of the pedal that projects out (the lower portion).  Toe brakes are applied by sliding your foot up a bit (heel below that projecting piece).  The Saitek version looks as if it has less clearance from the bottom of the pedal portion to the base of the unit - and agree with g_p that the pedals are much wider apart than the RW pair - but will spare you the occasional ankle 'clip' with the opposite heel that is brief but can be surprisingly painful.

Thanks, best explanation so far.  Used to have the CH pedals,  they are a bit different.

One of the first things I remember thinking about flying a real 172 was how much less comfortable the rudder pedals were than my sim setup. They're really cramped in the real deal. I'm glad Saitek didn't simulate them too well. ;-)

With this setup, it's best to rest your whole foot on the pedal. Your heel is controlling the non-braked depression of the pedal, and your toes are ready with the brakes.

I sometimes do this but only during taxi when I know I will use the brakes all the time. But other than that: heels on the floor and simply slide (keeping your heels on the ground!) your feet forward and backward to use the rudder (sometimes even pushing the top of your feet 'down' does the trick for small movements).

My first hours with the pedals were spend with my feet ON the pedal because I didn't know any better and boy, did my legs get sore (if that's the right word) after a while... way too much tension on the muscles!!! I started to regret my purchase! Then I found out you indeed have to keep your heel on the ground and let the ball of your feet rest (!!!) on the pedals. Since then I am very happy with my purchase. ^_^