Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thunderbolt44

Problem w/setting altitude in MCP and in PFD

I just started with the 737-800i a few days ago and about have it ironed out.  I always fly in the Virtual Cockpit.  Hand flies very smooth.  I have had some problems with the Altitude tape in the PFD.  It seems to take some getting used to to read your actual altitude from the tape.  My biggest problem though seems to be that when I select an altitude in the MCP, say 32000, I will only see 300 displayed at the top of PFD Alt tape.  The aircraft will acquire FL320 but the 300 stays there.  These settings only seem to be the same at say 5000' or so.  Being able to dial the desired altitude into MCP and then verifying the altitude at the top of the speed tape has always been a habit with me.  I guess I just have never seen this before, and am hoping someone can point out something I must be doing wrong.   Any comments would be appreciated.  Mike Nicholson

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Any comments would be appreciated.

Are there any altitude restrictions along your route?  Check the legs page for a magenta FL300 somewhere, particularly prior to T/C.

No, there were no Alt restrictions.  I normally fly IFR with Radar Contact.  I'm just flying with no ATC while getting use to the aircraft.  I just flew another short 400nm flight.  I step climbed up to FL320 which was the selected cruise alt in the FMS.  Once again, 300 showed at the top of the alt tape, but it leveled as programed at 32,000.  If I dialed 32200 in the MCP, I could get 320 at the top of the alt tape.  The FMS seems to work fine.  I have just never had the speed tape top alt different from the MCP set alt.  This tape is even hard for me to read.  It appears these instrument engineers really have made improvements over the years.  Maybe PMDG will update the panel some day.  I sure hope so as there is no other place to buy this level of simulation.  Mike Nicholson

I have just never had the speed tape top alt different from the MCP set alt.

If you've confused your terms there, then that would explain the problem.

Maybe PMDG will update the panel some day.

They don't need to.  There's no problem with it on the whole.  Apparently only yours, either by procedure, or your installation.  Mine's just fine.  If you're not running FSX as an admin, you should, and that may fix the issue.

Being able to dial the desired altitude into MCP and then verifying the altitude at the top of the speed tape has always been a habit with me.  Mike Nicholson

Well first off, you do realize that this is the 747 subforum as it seems your question is about 737..but anyways...

Dial in the desired altitude into MCP and then verify the altitude at the top of the ALTITUDE tape (and not the speed tape)