Sign in to follow this  
armchair_pilot

CM 212 Hyper Evo fan speed issue

I recently bought the above mentioned fan for my cpu (AMD FX8350), installed it and tested the operating of the fan within BIOS and speedfan. Both are showing me an almost constant 1300rpm when idle and under heavy load. I ran prime95 for 10 min. and coretemp showed a temp reading of 72°C while the fan apparently was still running at 1300! Something tells me that the fan speed is not controlled correctly. I already checked twice that the fan is connected into the correct plug (the one saying CPU FAN).

Any suggestion is welcome. Btw the mainboard is an ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.

Max

Hi - I cant comment on the board, but my fans spin at just under 1600 under full load with temps in high 70's low 80's @4.8

I also have (asus) software that controls my fan speed so it's spin speed is in relation to temp (its set so that when it hits 60 it goes at full speed.

I cannot comment about your bios and speedfan, but under idle it should be around the 550-600rpm mark, but your fan is set to "fixed mode"

Just noticed that its an asus board you have also, try installing your asus aisuite and seeing what fan speeds that is giving you - I am not a fan of this kind of software - sometimes it wont run when I try run it, but a simple reinstall sorts that.

hope this helps :)

I recently bought the above mentioned fan for my cpu (AMD FX8350), installed it and tested the operating of the fan within BIOS and speedfan. Both are showing me an almost constant 1300rpm when idle and under heavy load. I ran prime95 for 10 min. and coretemp showed a temp reading of 72°C while the fan apparently was still running at 1300! Something tells me that the fan speed is not controlled correctly. I already checked twice that the fan is connected into the correct plug (the one saying CPU FAN).

Any suggestion is welcome. Btw the mainboard is an ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.

Max

Have you configured the PWM settings in your BIOS. Your BIOS may be set to run full speed?

Also, install Asus Fan Expert 2. [Or equivalent for your motherboard] It's very good software in my opinion. Controls all of my case fans.

It is capable of controlling your CPU PWM fan as well. I don't do that, simply because I have an NH-D14, that's so quiet at full speed, that I don't have to.

Installed ASUS AI Suite and let thermal radar control the fans. the cpu fan speed now varies between 600 and nealry 1600rpm while the chassis fans run at max. The temps are still not that low when running fsx but at least this helped me. Thanks!

1600 RPM is the max for the EU version.

It is a decent cooler for the money, so you should be getting good results.

But to be honest, without knowing whether you are overclocking, voltage etc, it's impossible to comment.

Don't forget... you can install TWO fans on the Evo.

P.S. Rarely are case fans required to be at max. Mine are well down, 50%.

Your case fans should be balanced in terms of cooling/noise.

As long as your components are within the manufacturers guidelines that's all you need.

Many get too carried away with case fans, somewhat paranoid, and whack them up to max unnecessarily.

Hello Martin, thanks, I didn't know that this is max speed. I slightly overclocked the cpu from 4 to 4,3 GHz. The PC case is quite small and I only have 2 chassis fans (push-pull), that's why I rather leave them at max. It gets noticeably warm after simming for a while :wacko:   

Oh right, I have a Lian Li P50. Two 140 fans and two 120's.

Best you can do in a small case is to make sure your cables are routed as neatly as possible, so they don't restrict airflow.

Be best to buy a better enclosure when you can afford it.