Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

In Search of Realistic Night Water/Sky Textures!

Hello--This isn't related to the new FS9 patch, which I am ambivalent about, given I am pretty happy with the way ACOF works and looks in my computer (it was a bit of a slog to get there!). One of my few remaining beefs is the texturing of the FS9 night environment. Most of the time the night sky has rather cartoonish, blue-tinted quality to it contrasts notably with the terrain. Ditto the night water textures (I have FS Water by the way, though the default H2O textures were little different in regards to this issue). They have a luminescent, blue green glow, even in the dead of night, which is again cartoonish and unrealistic. In a real night environment (especially in abscence of the moon), bodies of water would be pitch black, and the horizon (absent being in the vicinity of a large population area) would merge almost indistingushably with the sky.I recently did a night flight from KMSN to KPDK. I don't know what the reason for this was (it was my first night trip with the FS Water sky textures), but the sky was actually colored the right way, though the night water still had the annoying glow to it. Overall, however, it was awesome!! Yet on descent into KPDK, the sky abruptly and inexplicably transitioned back to the darned cartoon-colored mode again!! It was all the more frustrating in that it had given me a taste of almost true night flight, and the challenges thereof.Does anyone know of any textures, or modifications, that allow for a more consistent, realistic FS9 night environment, in terms of the sky and the water? I have generally avoided night flying in FS9, with a few exceptions, almost soley because of this.:-(

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I would post it on the Flight1 forum since it is their product. FS Water is supposed to be tweaked/updated continuously so they would probably appreciate some feedback.I also have FS water and I did notice water being very dark blue at night. Perhaps not luminescent but blue nevertheless. I also would prefer to see pitch black water at night.Michael J.WinXP-Home,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8, Radeon X800 Pro,WD 36GB Raptor,1 GB PC3200 http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

Flight1's FSWater is the ticket for a better looking sky and water textures. Probly Vilkes freeware water is the best coupled with FSWater...