I think you do not need a special tutorial for a PMDG plane.

Painting a model for a simulator is basicly the same for every sim plane in any sim.

First of all you need the correct tools to do the job and you`ll have to know how to work with these tools.

There is a list of tools in the Repaint FAQ and links to tutorials too.

Personally I think its not likely PMDG will ever launch something like a repaint-instruction.

Leen de Jager

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

I have a related question dealing with repainting and I will use PMDG's 747 repaint kit as the example.  I am doing an updated repaint for Air France (incorporating the red swoosh at the end of the name) and so far, it looks great in Photoshop including all of the other greeble text and logos that are common on the 400 series.  The problem I have is two-fold.  First, when I apply the repaint to the aircraft (for testing, just one side) and view it in FSX, looking at the aircraft perpendicular to the view it looks normal but as I pan around the aircraft, it slowly becomes blurry and stretched, which I suspect it's due to saving the texture with mipmaps on and I can fix that, if I am correct.  If I compare the two sides (one being PMDG's texture and the other being mine), you see a definite difference in quality.  I utilize Photoshop for my repaint work and everything I am adding to the fuselage is high res scaled to fit the aircraft proportionally.  I assumed that whatever I created at that resolution would give me a more clean look. :(

Second, is there a way to create a new template based on the aircraft that is at a higher resolution?  I'd like to have the ability to get down to the rivets and seams so that my repaint looks as realistic as possible (similar to McPhat's resolutions for his repaints).  My past experience working with texturing 3D models, you could use a program called UVMapper which creates 2D images from the 3D model.  Is there is similar program for doing this with FSX aircraft?

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Not sure if this will help, it's for the PMDG 737. I think the principles are the same:-

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

I'm looking for the repaint tutorial .pdf Turbine777 did that used to be on the PMDG forums, if someone could send it to me I'd really appreciate it.