I think you should all wait for the next evolutionary release. That will probably be at least 1% faster than Haswell.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

For me it all boils down to overclockability. If lntel has corrected the TIM issue with the Haswell I would definitely opt for it over an Ivy.

Haswell is for people like me who are still rocking Core 2 or AMD systems...

With the current rate of evolution in the CPU world, it's probably going to take 5+ years before anything comes out that offers a substantial improvement over Sandy Bridge... that is, unless Intel completely kills off its desktop CPU division and focuses on low-power servers and tablets. Like FSX itself, high-end desktop CPUs are a dying breed. It's all about touch and <2W SoC's.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

high-end desktop CPUs are a dying breed. It's all about touch and <2W SoC's.

I heard that so many years now that I start thinking it will not happen. Nvidia still pushes out state of the art 3D Cards for desktops, plenty of mobo's to choose from and plenty of CPU's to choose from... Same thing was also said about PC gaming when the consoles came out that sooner or later developers would stop making games for PC and fokus on consoles, but still there are plenty of game releases for PC's.

So im not that pessimistic and believe that desktops will be with us for years to come unless the laptops gets as powerful as desktops.

I'm curious in the improvement of the Haswell in regard to an i7/920. Those CPU's were/are still used all over the FSX place since it too was a great overclock CPU.

Its Haswell launch day, and we finally have an answer to this question:

it's a resounding NO.  Haswell has taken another step backwards with regard to overclocking.  A huge disappointment, all I can do is shake my head.  No one has bothered to de-lid it yet but if you want more than 4.3-4.5GHz it looks like you'll have to pop the top off.  At this point it is quite clear that Intel does not want you overclocking their chips very much unless you spend $500 or more on an Extreme edition chip.

Shame on you Intel.  

Its Haswell launch day, and we finally have an answer to this question:

it's a resounding NO. Haswell has taken another step backwards with regard to overclocking. A huge disappointment, all I can do is shake my head. No one has bothered to de-lid it yet but if you want more than 4.3-4.5GHz it looks like you'll have to pop the top off. At this point it is quite clear that Intel does not want you overclocking their chips very much unless you spend $500 or more on an Extreme edition chip.

Shame on you Intel.

Yep, completely underwhelmed by this release.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Hi all:

Believe it or not,.I am still on my trusty old Q9650 with a DFI Lanparty UT X-48 MB on Win7 with 8Gb RAM. Two sets of raided WD Velocorapters. Any recommendations as to which series of processors I should be looking at next? And, any idea of performance increase? I use all Dreamteam airports, FS Genesis, Megascenery, etc etc. I don't really concentrate on the planes but scenery and airports. Or if this is redundant, please point me to a link.....

Thx,

P.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

Will these chips fit into the

ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE Motherboard does anyone know? Thanks.

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

Will these chips fit into the

ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE Motherboard does anyone know? Thanks.

No they won't. You need a Z87 mobo.

It's now possible to order Haswell and prices seems to be the same as Ivy and Sandy chips. Just to clarify. Haswell does not seem to be worth a lot extra money. But at the same price it's probably worth it.

Edit: That's if you'll overclock. If you plan on running stock Haswell is the way to go.

Prices here in Australia seem to be higher. A 4770k is $41 more expensive than a 3770k. Motherboard prices also seem a little on the high side too. Thats from the only retailer I can find with their prices updated online though.

@TechGuyMaxC: what would be a good choice in my case, having an i7/920 @ 4ghz with a Noctua aircooler? I missed the Sandybridge and Ivybridge, so I could potentially go to the Haswell.

But does FSX (or X-plane for that matter) have any gain from such an upgrade? The number of Ghz stays roughly the same, the only benefit would be PICe3x and SATA 6gb/s.

I already run FSX and my OS on a SSD and the GTX680 is plenty to run both FSX and X-plane.

Maybe a 2nd hand i7/980 would be better?

At this point it is quite clear that Intel does not want you overclocking their chips very much unless you spend $500 or more on an Extreme edition chip.

I was thinking the same thing.  It looks like I will be skipping Haswell and wait for IB-E.

I did not go with IB because I did not want to have to pop the top on a new $300 CPU, but if Haswell proves a great OC'er on air after you pop the top then I will think about upgrading.  I was not going to upgrade until late August or early September anyway and by then IB-E should be only a month or two away from release.

It looks like I will be skipping Haswell and wait for IB-E.

The writing has certainly been on the wall for Haswell and the entire trajectory of CPUs from Intel:  putting so much into lower power demands and onboard GPU & voltage regulation--these certainly are not directed in any way towards the enthusiast.  I'm still on Core 2 Quad and have been waiting for Haswell.   Now I'm think SB-E is the best path for my upgrade, despite it's now 2 steps backwards.  From what I gather i7-3930K is a workhorse, can be put on a mainboard that can take advantage of PCI3 3.0 w/ the registry tweak (??), and overclocks well in general.   I am interested in 6 core for XPlane 64.  IB-E seems to be something that isn't going to o'c well--the TIM issue has to translate into an even more detrimental impact on 6 or more cores.  I think we're all seeing the demise of the enthusiast desktop and so the decision we have to make is between several options many of which offer little over the others.  I'm leaning towards i7-3930K were I to purchase parts today.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

@TechGuyMaxC: what would be a good choice in my case, having an i7/920 @ 4ghz with a Noctua aircooler? I missed the Sandybridge and Ivybridge, so I could potentially go to the Haswell.

But does FSX (or X-plane for that matter) have any gain from such an upgrade? The number of Ghz stays roughly the same, the only benefit would be PICe3x and SATA 6gb/s.

I already run FSX and my OS on a SSD and the GTX680 is plenty to run both FSX and X-plane.

Maybe a 2nd hand i7/980 would be better?

The GHz might be the same, but there are significant IPC (instructions per cycle) improvements as seen here:

http://anandtech.com/show/7003/the-haswell-review-intel-core-i74770k-i54560k-tested/6

(I think the Cinebench single-threaded results are more representative of FSX than the gaming benchmarks, which are clearly GPU limited. Unlike games released in the last six years, FSX barely knows what a GPU is, it relies on the CPU for everything).

The most significant improvements came with Sandy Bridge, but the cumulative improvements between SB and Haswell are not insignificant. Compared to my Phenom II, there''s nearly a 100% increase in IPC.

Prices here in Australia seem to be higher. A 4770k is $41 more expensive than a 3770k. Motherboard prices also seem a little on the high side too. Thats from the only retailer I can find with their prices updated online though.

There's a small premium here in Sweden too, both on the mobos and the CPUs. I think prices will normalize in the coming weeks. Retailers are just taking advantage of early adopters.

I heard that so many years now that I start thinking it will not happen. Nvidia still pushes out state of the art 3D Cards for desktops, plenty of mobo's to choose from and plenty of CPU's to choose from... Same thing was also said about PC gaming when the consoles came out that sooner or later developers would stop making games for PC and fokus on consoles, but still there are plenty of game releases for PC's.

So im not that pessimistic and believe that desktops will be with us for years to come unless the laptops gets as powerful as desktops.

I don't know. As I shop for components for my Haswell build, there's a real feeling that this may be the last time I assemble a PC system in my life. Intel doesn't even bother to keep its more expensive "enthusiast" platform current, and each new CPU overclocks worse than the one before. This is not the result of a "faulty" design or Intel taking shortcuts to save money. It's a very conscious strategy where every bit of extra frequency headroom is transformed into power savings instead as they optimize the core for <20W CULV. Extra frequency headroom = wasted power, in Intel's eyes.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP