Sign in to follow this  
HUSSAR

What do you think about a 42" LED TV as a display?

I am finding that my gauges on a 27" aren't big enough so I am thinking of purchasing an LG 42" 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV 1980X1080 Resolution.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/lg-electronics-lg-42-1080p-120hz-led-hdtv-42ln5400-42ln5400/10243577.aspx?path=012bd28a9a72dc52751071b1cf7e075aen02&SearchPageIndex=1

Any suggestions?

\Robert Hamlich/

I like my 27" monitor, but several of my buddies tell me that a 42" TV is way better!

You are going to sit a bit further away from a 42" screen, but I've tried it as a test on my

regular TV, and it does look pretty amazing..

Bert

Not boasting because it was a gift, but 50 inch plasma here and I could not imagine going back to a small screen. Its all about immersion.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Not boasting because it was a gift, but 50 inch plasma here and I could not imagine going back to a small screen. Its all about immersion.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

<p>Should be fine, I have been using them for a while now and everyone whos tried mine has been impressed.   In fact two guys just bought 6 of them after flying on mine.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>    I run triple screen 42" LG's in portrait/landscape/portrait so they just copies that.  One got set up a couple weeks ago and his looks great as well.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>  My eyes would be ~ 730mm (28 or 29 inches) away.</p>

this seems to be a rather frequent question in this forum. The answer is simple and written on the wall: the bigger the better. There is no substitute for the increase of physical size.

The only thing I can see better is the coming Oculus Rift head-mounted display. If the consumer version sports a high resolution screen, then I bet it will be a super killer.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

I just bought a Volair Sim Cockpit and attached a 52" Panasonic plasma monitor to it.  I LOOOOVE it  :wub:  Very immersible....

I've been using a 42" HDTV via an HDMI connection for well over a year now. I wouldn't go back to a small screen now unless there was no other option.

My only regret is that I don't have enough space in my Library/Sim room for two more of 'em! :lol:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Remember though, that you still have the same resolution as a 24", so it's all about viewing distance...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Remember though, that you still have the same resolution as a 24", so it's all about viewing distance...

1920x1080x32 is my resolution...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

be careful when buying one. i bought a toshiba 42" and there is a huge lag when connecting via HDMI. the tv has somekinda "pc-mode" as well which reduces this lag but i feel, that its still present (at least a little bit -> shouldnt be a problem for fsx but if you wanna do something else where every nanosecond counts)

What about the displays that have 120Hz and 600Hz refresh, does that wreak havoc with Nvidia Inspector settings which we set for 60Hz refresh?

Thanks for the input so far everyone.

\Robert Hamlich/

120hz, 600hz doesnt make any difference.   To the computer there is no option for these refresh rates.

They are all marketing to do with the refresh rate of the screen, not what refresh rate you can get in your software.   The pc will see it as a 60Hz screen.

I've been using a 40 inch Samsung LED TV for several years now and I like it a lot and wouldn't even consider going back to a smaller screen like many others already said.

Richard Åsberg

Two years ago I got a Samsung 32" LED TV for my PC, which has been the best monitor I have ever used for FSX.

It seemed very large at first, but not so anymore.

I am currently looking around for a new LED TV in the 42"-52" range.

So I say, go for it.