Sign in to follow this  
HUSSAR

What do you think about a 42" LED TV as a display?

I purchased a 40" Samsung LED series 6 display.  I do like the size difference as it creates more of an immersive feel but I had to play with the brightness and contrast settings and tone down the sharpness just to get it to look good.  

Max resolution is 1920x1080 but I've tinkered with AA transparency settings (up to 4x) and my AA settings were already at 8xS and it looks promising.

Have any of you had to play with the display settings or were they great just out of the box?

Thanks for all the feedback so far. 

\Robert Hamlich/

<p>After having some nasty CTDs that I think was caused by using SweetFX I decided to get rid of it but when used to SweetFX and what it does to the visuals I was quite disappointed being back with stock FSX look again. To compensate for this I thought I would try to adjust the settings on my Samsung LED TV and I found two settings listed below which I adjusted and I'm very happy with the result.<br />

<br />

Dynamic Contrast from Medium to High<br />

HDMI Blackness from Normal to Low<br />

<br />

You can probably come up with an even better result fine tuning other settings as well.</p>

Richard Åsberg

<p>After having some nasty CTDs that I think was caused by using SweetFX I decided to get rid of it but when used to SweetFX and what it does to the visuals I was quite disappointed being back with stock FSX look again. To compensate for this I thought I would try to adjust the settings on my Samsung LED TV and I found two settings listed below which I adjusted and I'm very happy with the result.<br />

<br />

Dynamic Contrast from Medium to High<br />

HDMI Blackness from Normal to Low<br />

<br />

You can probably come up with an even better result fine tuning other settings as well.</p>

If you right click your screen and Have Nvidia you can adjust the gamma as well

ZORAN

I know there's a number of settings using the Nvidia CP as well but I kind of like being able to adjust things directly on the TV rather than messing around too much with software settings.

Thanks for the tip though!

Richard Åsberg

@WebMaximus,

I was having the same issues with SweetFX after I copied the files from the new 1.4 update but I did not copy the SweetFX folder which contains a few important files including .DLL's into FSX.  Once I overwrote the SweetFX folder with the new one it worked fine.

I will try adjusting the Dynamic Contrast and HDMI Blackness and see what happens.

Thanks.

\Robert Hamlich/

With plasma you get deeper blacks and whiter whites so contrast and brightness appear better.  Plasma consumes 3x more energy, is bukier, costs more and there is a likelihood that eventually your desktop object/menu's may burn into the screen.  LED is probably the best way to go as you can get an impressive image for reduce cost.

BTW I saw some really nice 50 inch 3D LED TV's with high resolution specs and the bezel (frame) wasn't any wider than 1/4" which is great for you multi display people out there.  They are about 3 times the price that a regular 50 inch LED goes for but they would be amazing to use FSX on.

\Robert Hamlich/

I purchased a 40" Samsung LED series 6 display.  I do like the size difference as it creates more of an immersive feel but I had to play with the brightness and contrast settings and tone down the sharpness just to get it to look good.  

Have any of you had to play with the display settings or were they great just out of the box?

For my Samsung LED screen, I set gamma to 0.8 in the nvidia Properties app.

Without that, the screen was too bright - and burned out my eyeballs..

Bert

Hi Richard,

That made a huge difference, thanks for the tip.

Hi Bert,

Thanks that made a difference.  I found that some building and terrain textures didn't look quite right so I tried changing the following Nvidia Inspector settings:

Antialiasing-Setting from 8xS to 16xS and;

Antialiasing-Transparency Supersampling from 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling to 8x Sparse Grid Supersampling

It brought FSX to its knees and was running at 5-11 FPS, but I discovered that the textures didn't improve even with the boosted settings thankfully.  I might try running the textures through ImageTool and add MipMaps (after backing up the texture folder) and see what happens.

I am really hooked on the new display and it has changed my simming experience.

\Robert Hamlich/

I went from a 24" dell monitor to a 40" led and I LOVED it. I then tried a 42", and that was great as well. Then I tried a 50" Toshiba led and that was the sweet spot for me. I know all about resolution, and viewing distance. I'm more than willing to sacrifice some loss of gauge and text clarity for the immersion factor that the big screen gives you. I would NEVER go back to that 24" monitor. It's really a no-brainer for me. I advise anyone considering it to just try it. Most of us already have an lcd/plasma at home, or maybe a friend or relative could lend one temporarily. Just try it out. Can't hurt, right?

Jay

Current Build (02/2024): AMD 7800X3D | Asrock X670E Steel Legend MB | Noctua NH-U12S Chromax | 32gb GSkill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 CAS 30 | Samsung 990 Pro 2tb NVMe Gen4 (OS) | WD Black 4tb NVMe Gen4 (MSFS) | Corsair RM1000x Shift Series PS | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix ROG | LG 55" C2 Display

be careful when buying one. i bought a toshiba 42" and there is a huge lag when connecting via HDMI. the tv has somekinda "pc-mode" as well which reduces this lag but i feel, that its still present (at least a little bit -> shouldnt be a problem for fsx but if you wanna do something else where every nanosecond counts)

I purchased my current 42" Sony Bravia 3+ years ago to be an FSX dedicated monitor. I did take a laptop with me to JB HiFi and tested several TV models and makes, and not all were able to display FSX properly.

That was 3+ years ago though, and I think LED TVs had only just come out then, so I'm assuming a lot has changed since then and using the TV as a monitor HAS improved in new models. Pricing definitely HAS!!!! :Thinking:

Diego

I have a 42in LCD -LED TV for my monitor and love it. Using .90 zoom in the VC.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Eric 

..love my 42" Panasonic Viera plasme, using it for the VC (2 wid 15" for the Instrument) & it look so real, I'm wondering how would it be to hook another 2 or 3 to gain the peripharial aspect 

... prices of the Plasma , in most cases are cheaper than Back light LED TOO .... 

Three big screen TVs would be thrilling, however, I don't think I can stand the frames in between, plus, the space requirement probably will be a little excessive.

I'm waiting for the Oculus Rift, 110 degree field of view with head tracking, beats three large screens easily I would guess.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11