Sign in to follow this  
HUSSAR

What do you think about a 42" LED TV as a display?

I'm waiting for the Oculus Rift, 110 degree field of view with head tracking, beats three large screens easily I would guess

To me it's one of those things that sounds great - but I would think that they would interfere with operating a TQ or other hardware in your lower peripheral vision.  Be neat to try though.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Yeah I agree. But luckily I'm not that hardcore and I fly FSX with TM Warthog. I already programed pretty much most of the keys to the HOTAS so that makes me well prepared for the OR. But I agree it'll be a big pain if you ever need to see anything outside the OR screen. Maybe eventually they can add a video camera to let people see through when necessary...

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Going for a w1080st projector soon. Don't know why people still want tvs.

Looking forward to flightsiming at 100"

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

I haven't tried projector yet, but I wonder whether you'll be disappointed by the resolution. I found 1080p on 50" is kind of getting close to the limit and I always have to struggle to use high power AA like 8xS + 4xSGSS to make cockpit more tolerable. An 100" screen is definitely nice, but if you want to sit close to the screen 1080p may not cut well.

HI Guys

I have followed this topic and would like some help in setting up a TV as a monitor.

I have a 27 iiyama monitor running at 1920x1080 on a nvidia gtx 680, 4GB.

I have a samsung 37 '' TV.

Am I right in my understanding that if I was to use the TV as a monitor I will be able to get the same resolutions. If not will the image quality be as good.

If so how /what setting do I need to adjust on my PC.

Many months ago I tried using my TV as a monitor and the image quality wasn't very good and I gave up.

Many thanks.

Qas

I've had 3 19" monitors for years.  I use all of the center screen and half of each one on each side.  The unused space is used for approach plates, etc.  Every so often I wonder what it would be like to replace them with a single 42+ screen and an extra monitor on the side, but I do think about the loss of resolution.  Heck in about 5 years they'll have the Super HD TVs down in price and you wouldn't have to sacrifice resolution.  Saw one yesterday...Sony...4 times the resolution of standard HD...$5000.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I've had 3 19" monitors for years.  I use all of the center screen and half of each one on each side.  The unused space is used for approach plates, etc.  Every so often I wonder what it would be like to replace them with a single 42+ screen and an extra monitor on the side, but I do think about the loss of resolution.  Heck in about 5 years they'll have the Super HD TVs down in price and you wouldn't have to sacrifice resolution.  Saw one yesterday...Sony...4 times the resolution of standard HD...$5000.

Gregg

Hey Gregg, I experienced a 6' Sony screen at an exhibition the other week, using this new hi res technology, the only words I can use to describe what I saw are absoutely and breathtaking!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

So I was going to replace my old monitor with a new 27inch monitor.  But now you've got me thinking about just getting a tv.  Since I use the sim at a desk and my face is relatively close to the screen, my question is...

FOr those of you with 42 inch TVs, how close are you sitting to the TV?  I just measured and my face is about 3 to 4 feet from the monitor?  Will a 42 inch TV be too big, or look bad at such a close difference.  Maybe a 32 or 37 inch TV would be better....

Any help making a decision would be appreciated...

Also FYI, years ago I hooked up my PC to my projector to fly and it wasn't that great of an experience...  From time to time we hook up the XBOX 360 to the projector... we enjoy simple fighting games and Kinect stuff.  Other than that, like for sports are complex shooters, it's just way too big and hard to react to everything going on.

I'm using a 27" monitor and my face is 50 cm (less than 2 feet) from the screen.

(I can reach out and touch it with my fingers..)

At 3-4 feet away, you would need a 42" screen to get an equivalent field of view..

Bert

So I was going to replace my old monitor with a new 27inch monitor.  But now you've got me thinking about just getting a tv.  Since I use the sim at a desk and my face is relatively close to the screen, my question is...

FOr those of you with 42 inch TVs, how close are you sitting to the TV?  I just measured and my face is about 3 to 4 feet from the monitor?  Will a 42 inch TV be too big, or look bad at such a close difference.  Maybe a 32 or 37 inch TV would be better....

Any help making a decision would be appreciated...

Also FYI, years ago I hooked up my PC to my projector to fly and it wasn't that great of an experience...  From time to time we hook up the XBOX 360 to the projector... we enjoy simple fighting games and Kinect stuff.  Other than that, like for sports are complex shooters, it's just way too big and hard to react to everything going on.

Sitting that far away a 42" would be OK but I wouldnt do it if it was intended to be your main screen for all your other desktop activities.

What I would do in that situation is place the 42" and in front of that, maybe on a swing arm is another screen that you can swing in front when doing normal desktop stuff.   

Once its there you wont help yourself from putting your panels, gps etc on that second smaller screen.   If you didnt get the smaller screen as a touchscreen you will end up kicking yourself as well :)   

The desk area and computer are dedicated to flightsim (and basketball on the XBOX), nothing else.  Just 42 inches seems so big only 3 feet away... would 32 or 37 inch be better, or those of you with 42 inch screens would you recommend sticking with that size, even if my face is 3 feet from the screen?

I've got several buddies with 42" screens and they swear by them.. ^_^

Bert

The desk area and computer are dedicated to flightsim (and basketball on the XBOX), nothing else.  Just 42 inches seems so big only 3 feet away... would 32 or 37 inch be better, or those of you with 42 inch screens would you recommend sticking with that size, even if my face is 3 feet from the screen?

YES, YES, and YES! :smile:

I sit where my eyes are slightly more than 3 feet away from my 50 inch screen, and it's great, especially with TrackIR. All I can wish now is a 4K screen with even bigger size. However, Oculus Rift is coming and I think it'll be my next upgrade instead of bigger screen. Can't beat the 110 degree FOV with head tracking.