Sign in to follow this  
Bushido5

Question to the Carenado C337 Owners

Do you still fly her on a regular basis ?

I know it's an Avsim Gold Star and that the review were pretty good at the time but the best judge to know wheter a plane is good or not is if you still fly it a lot a year or two after it reach the market.

As I'm considering buying it I would appreciate your answer.

Thanks in advance.

Do I still fly it? Yes, of course!

Do I fly it on a regular basis? No, because I don't have enough time, and it's not that suited for bush flying, which is what I enjoy most at the moment. But it's a nicely done twin, and it's fast, so if you want to get from A to B quickly, but still enjoy a nice view outside, I'd say it's the right airplane for you.

Regards,

Flo

Do I still fly it? Yes, of course!

Do I fly it on a regular basis? No, because I don't have enough time, and it's not that suited for bush flying, which is what I enjoy most at the moment. But it's a nicely done twin, and it's fast, so if you want to get from A to B quickly, but still enjoy a nice view outside, I'd say it's the right airplane for you.

Regards,

Flo

Hi, I am planning to buy it as well. But was interested in knowing why you don't think its that suited for bush flying. Is it the length required to get airborne?

But was interested in knowing why you don't think its that suited for bush flying.

It's due to a few points (which may very well be wrong impressions, though):

First of all, the approach speed is rather high, so stopping may be a bit difficult on short fields, such as ORBX's Walter Sutton's Ranch.

Then, as you already supposed, the takeoff run isn't that short, either.

And finally, I just don't think its right to land this beautiful plane on a muddy gras strip (OK, that wouldn't really matter in a sim, but still that's how I feel about the Skymaster -_- )

For a twin, it's decent for bush flying. Bush flying isn't limited to landing on 400 feet gravel bars...I use it or the C210 when I need to fly faster than a Super Cub but still want to land on relatively unimproved, remote air strips.

I still fly it regularly and I consider it one of Carenado's finest moments. It has great flight dynamics, HD textures, sounds, frame rate friendly, and it's simple enough that Carenado's incomplete systems modelling doesn't bother me (some say the fuel system isn't modeled realistically, but that's not an issue for me). The view is almost better than the C172/C182 because you seem to be sitting farther ahead of the wing.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Bush flying isn't limited to landing on 400 feet gravel bars

Point taken, but that's what comes to my mind when I hear that phrase. So apologies for miseading anyone, I just misunderstood/misinterpreted the term bush flying.

I consider it one of Carenado's finest moments.

I completely agree, probably even their best one yet.

For short field work and speed you can use the Real Air Turbo Duke. Its a wild cat! B) The 337 is a very good aircraft. I have the Reality 530 in both aircraft. This makes a very nice set up. However the 337 is not considered a short field airplane.

Own it fly it love it.  Use the RXP add ons if you don't like the ones that come with it. Good view from the windows because you in front of the wing. Easy to control. Average fuel burn of a twin. The twin boom tail gives it stability and also looks pretty cool. Hope this helps Cpt out.

For short field work and speed you can use the Real Air Turbo Duke. Its a wild cat! B) The 337 is a very good aircraft. I have the Reality 530 in both aircraft. This makes a very nice set up. However the 337 is not considered a short field airplane.

The Turbine Duke is great for short fields. The only problem is that my brain isn't keeping up. It is still at the beginning of the runway, wondering what the... happened, while the plane is climbing out at 4200 ftpm  :lol:

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I am going to overstate the obvious, but I love the 185 tundra and I use it extensively. If you want something relatively fast that can land in the bush....bingo.

Fly it, love it.  It does seem to suffer from the carb heat bug, so there tends to be a loss of power when you do an extended climb if you fail to hit the 'H' key. 

Unfortunately, what it doesn't have is very good documentation.  One of two things that Carenado seems to be noted for these days.  Well that, and a reluctance to acknowledge and fix bugs that may appear in their aircraft.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

I bought it shortly after it released and it remains my most flown piston plane.  Good textures, excellent sounds, good avionics for instrument training (it's my favorite - "I'm going to try a new, unfamiliar and kind of dicey looking IAP" - airplane) and superb visibility.  Flight characteristics are well modeled, right down to the decrease in climb rate as the complex gear cycles.  The panel is well laid out and easy to see and deal with, with about the only minor negative being a slightly unique (though still capable) AP.  It's fast enough (in piston GA terms) to go places, but slow enough to use as a sightseeing plane.  It's decent on short fields, though by no means a classic "bush" plane, if for no other reason than Cessna's high-wing retractable gear isn't the sturdiest IRL.  It's also not a plane you'll take out of high'n'hot airports.  With no turbo-charging, Telluride, CO on a summer afternoon ain't happenin'. :-)  This is as it would be IRL.  On the other hand, it's a fun mountain plane if flown as you would the real thing.  You don't fly normally aspirated planes over the high mountains, you fly them through the mountains. :-)

I fly mine with the RXP Garmin 530 - Carenado offers direct integration and it makes for an excellent combination.

As for the carb heat bug that Ernie mentions, all fuel-injected piston planes done in FSX have this - it's an FSX thing.  The only plane I'm aware of that put code in to work around it automatically is the Milviz B55 Baron (another favorite BTW).  I've added the "h" key to my pre-takeoff checklist for all my fuel-injected piston planes - there's no performance penalty for doing this as there is for real-world carb heat on a carburetted plane - as you'd hope since there isn't a carb on these planes. :-)  It's a fairly painless workaround.

Scott

Aside from talking about the technical aspects of this plane, I would like to say one of the nicest aspects of this plane for me is the incredibly large side windows which allow for a fantastic view of the outside world. If I purchase a new piece of scenery, this is the 1st plane I fly to check out the eye candy. Trust me, there are very few GA's that have a view like this.

Bob