Sign in to follow this  
FIVE-BY-FIVE

XBOX ONE or Playstation 4

Xbox One was announced yesterday and the internet is not too happy with the changes Microsoft made.  My friends and family will be buying a Sony PS4 :good:

1st it was FSX Devs being shut down :(

2nd it was MS Flight :P

3rd it was Windows 8 :lol:

now 4th:  Xbox One :angry:

It says on the specs sheet for the PS4 that there is 8GB DDR5 built in as opposed to 8GB DDR 3 on the Xbox One. If the PS4 really has 8GB DDR5 (note: not GDDR5 but DDR5) and this is not a mistake, then it will be groundbreaking. However they are also saying that Xbox One (not sure about PS4) developers will be able to carry out some processing for games remotely across servers as you play in realtime meaning that the system itself won't have to make all the calculations for physics etc. Personally I can't see that happening anytime soon. It would be simply too expensive for developers to support to make it interesting to them (at least in the short-term).

Anyway, I have a feeling the PS4 will have the edge but I guess it's way too early to tell and really pure speculation (which is fun!).

One thing that bothers me is how expensive a new Nvidia 780 card is apparantly going to be (rumours are $600 - $700) when you will probably be able to by a new PS4 for around ($400/$500 - my guess). A bit of a difference. For someone like myself wishing to invest in a new GPU mainly for a flight sim, that difference stings a little. It's a pity AMD drivers are not optimized for OpenGL (I fly X-plane 10 mostly these days). Last I heard the 7970 sucks at rendering OpenGL.

Sony PS4 specs:

CPU: single-chip custom processor, x86-64 AMD "Jaguar," 8 cores

GPU: 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon-based graphics engine

Memory: 8GB GDDR5

Built-in hard disk drive (Sony didn't specify how big the hard drive will be)

6X Blu-Ray Drive, 8X DVD

USB 3 and Auxiliary ports (Sony didn't specify how many ports)

Gigabit Ethernet port,  802.11 B/G/N built-in WiFi, and Bluetooth 2.1

HDMI, Analog-AV, and digital optical outputs

http://www.t3.com/news/sony-playstation-4-news-reviews-price-rumours-and-release-date

Not too much has been revealed about the PS4, so it's unfair to make judgements between the two. In the next few weeks Sony will unveil the PS4 at E3.

Of-course people always complain about changes to things that are a difference to their normal routine. AKA: moaners.

I'm 95% positive the PS4 will be ground breaking, not only in performance, but in design.

I will more than likely be buying the PS4 as I'm not fond of Microsoft!

Not too much has been revealed about the PS4, so it's unfair to make judgements between the two. In the next few weeks Sony will unveil the PS4 at E3.

Of-course people always complain about changes to things that are a difference to their normal routine. AKA: moaners.

I'm 95% positive the PS4 will be ground breaking, not only in performance, but in design.

I will more than likely be buying the PS4 as I'm not fond of Microsoft!

I agree....It's a shame what's going on over there Since Bi$$ Gates left :(

I agree....It's a shame what's going on over there Since Bi$$ Gates left :(

The problem is that present CEO named: Steve Balmer.

I don't think he understands the 'newer generation'.

Although they don't make game consoles Apple is the way to go ;)

FIVE-BY-FIVE, on 22 May 2013 - 06:56 AM, said:

Xbox One was announced yesterday and the internet is not too happy with the changes Microsoft made.

What exactly are they unhappy with?

Is it the fee for used games and no backward compatibility? Having to install the full game on the console to track who's using the game? News flash getting used games is what most people do on a budjet, there's stores dedicated to this. Steve Ballmer is always trying to figure out how to lock down, squeeze, and control his customers. Like with Flight and W8 it's not going to work. Hurting business built around their products is not smart. This tactic will fail as well.

Some are saying the PS4 will do much of the same and I could see the gaming industry just like us (and the Windows community) sticking with what they have. We've spoken on our side, Windows users have fired back on their side, now let's see what the gaming community does. If XBOX-One fails the MS Board should finally get it Steve Ballmer needs to go.

Linux like X-Plane is poised to make a major come up if these large corporations keep jerking us around. Google might get some of the pie as well if they get involved.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

What exactly are they unhappy with?

Is the "internet" ever happy about anything at all?

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

watch the video on top. It's going to have a lot of DRM/Piracy Protection, Annual Fee like usual, Win 8 Menu System, etc. etc.

Plus this:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/407463-steve-ballmer-should-step-down-former-exec-interview/#entry2664289

I just did and wrote more on this above in my post.

To add to what I wrote above, it looks like Microsoft has turned into what they fought against in the early years (IBM). Steve Ballmer has went back to that bloated failed model that almost sacked Apple and deeply hurt IBM and Unisys to this day.

FS2020 

Get a wii and play Mario series and give Xbox the finger. Xbox was terrible back in 05 people got red ring of death starting up console. Xbox quality is terrible compared to others.

Someone should do a parady of 'Sail' for Steve Ballmer:

"This is how I sacked FS" - FAIL

"Windows 8 was a big surprise" - FAIL

"Maybe it's my ADD baby" - FAIL, FAIL

"Now we got the XBOX ONE" - FAIL

"Can the old games, charge for the used one's"

"Maybe it's my ADD baby" - FAIL, FAIL

"This is how I made you cry" - FAIL

"No apologies, to reasons why" - FAIL

"Blame it on my ADD baby" - FAIL, FAIL

"La la la la la la la la la la" - FAIL "La la la la la la la la la la" - FAIL

Have at the end of the video, "I'm Steve Ballmer and I approve this message"...

FS2020 

I was an avid PS3 gamer but one thing I always hated about it, which made me switch to XBOX, was it's online voice features. Yes, huge plus that it's free on PS3 but I hate the fact that you can't have a party chat unless everyone is within the same game. I love XBOX Live's ability to create a party chat with friend within the dashboard and still be able to talk to them if someone changes games and what not.

If Sony revamps it's online voice service with the PS4, I might make the jump back to Sony.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

I was never a console guy but what I would like to see is Steam to develop a very basic game oriented operating system that will allow people to assemble a PC into a gaming machine with a very basic O/S to play games on.

With some hardware manufactures to back it this could be a very good alternative to Consoles as you can customize your own Gaming machine.

Matthew Kane