Sign in to follow this  
Lawyer+Pilot

Release Dates Gone Wild - PFPX

The way I see it, the FS world has some developers who lack discipline. The biggest consequence is that they announce their products too early and/or leave them unfinished and let them decay into vaporware. Even highly regarded developers do this (see: Level D's 757). Another consequence (and I'm going off on a tangent here) is that after receiving complaints, developers then come on this forum in particular and start attacking their customers (or potential customers). Obviously most FS devs can't afford a PR person, but they could certainly use some project management expertise. 

I couldn't figure out why it would take almost 6 months to finish the documentation.

Now I realize the delay.

The product will never be 100% perfect.

Release it now, add extra functionality later.

And stop giving release time frames you can't commit to! That's the most important part.

I actually really want to use PFPX in the 777 tutorial flight - sorta looking like it won't happen though. I'm definitely not going to use something our customers can't actually buy on day one.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Current date: The team is implementing a way for users to create their own FP formats. The team expects this to be a long process. The state of the documentation is unknown.

I disagree with this interpretation.  This is the quote.

"Hello Gents,

I'd like to bring you a detail which you probably not thought.
PFPX has a feature allowing user to customise the OFP format. So, to do that, a template is needed, containing many fields with the goal to obtain the most custom latitude.
We working these days to create and don't forget any fields which as said before very numerous.
When done the product will offer an quasi infinite possibilities of OFP format which allow the user to create its own for its VA or looking very much at their favourite airline.

This is a very long work trying to forget nothing...

Best Regards
Pierre"

The fact that it seems Pierre isnt a native speaker makes the meaning a little ambiguous.  However i see "This is a very long work trying to forget nothing..." as more we are checking everything to make sure its right and there is a lot of different things to check to ensure no bugs.

I dont see it as you describe "The team expects this to be a long process.".

Just my interpretation.

Nick Running

I couldn't figure out why it would take almost 6 months to finish the documentation.

Now I realize the delay.

The product will never be 100% perfect.

Release it now, add extra functionality later.

And stop giving release time frames you can't commit to! That's the most important part.

There's a name for this type of thing in software development: "feature creep". This is why at a certain point you have just declare a product "feature complete" and then work on additions for the service packs. It truly will go on forever if you don't stop at some point. (we are definitely guilty of it at times too, I'm not just picking on PFPX)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I am also much in favor of a OpusFSX style of development cycle, new Builds every week, that keeps the software always current to what's happening in the FS world, than spending years to make the perfect product , releasing it and let it go outdated without any updates or added functionality. As perfect as a product can be in 2013, in 2015 there will be other features people will want, other addons to be compatible with, other databases to be used. I believe that's what happened with FOC, used to be the best Flight Planning software, now it's as good as a rock.

Not saying I would like an incomplete program, but it's probably 99.7% ready as it is, so a couple of updates during the next months won't hurt, and people will be happy with it. My opinion.

Alexis Mefano

Just my interpretation.

You might be right. I can't argue with your reasoning. I was just taken back, when "long work" was mentioned by Pierre, who posted the following 16 months ago (16th Jan 2012):

"Release should be come very soon.

Cheers

Pierre"

If "very soon" means over a year, then how long is "long work"?

I actually really want to use PFPX in the 777 tutorial flight - sorta looking like it won't happen though. I'm definitely not going to use something our customers can't actually buy on day one.

That would be an awesome combo, especially as the range of the 777 makes winds a significant factor in flight planning. Appreciate you not including it in the tutorial though if people can't get hold of it.

This just in from their Facebook page, and I quote:

"A cautious guess is mid of July" (when asked about the release date).

Whether it is 2013 or 2014 is still unknown.

Its too the point where its funny now.  Its alway "Release coming soon" every 6 months.  Probably in July it will be a cautious guess of Christmas 2013. 

Well whenever its released in the next decade I will buy it.  I do understand and appreciate why PMDG never gives release dates because Flightsimsoft is just shooting themselves in the foot every 6 months.  I kinda feel sorry for them.

Sean Green

Just after Christmas, just after July.. but never any year given... no release date, even tentative has been made public in my mind...

Best not to ask I believe...

A

Glad someone said it! They really appear to be a well-intentioned and competent team but it seems like PFPX is destined to be like the horizon: we're always moving toward it but never reaching it...

I was hoping it might actually be released this year prior to the latest updates from the developer. Now it seems as far off as ever. Really, adding more major features?

James

Guest Mik75

Glad someone said it! They really appear to be a well-intentioned and competent team but it seems like PFPX is destined to be like the horizon: we're always moving toward it but never reaching it...

I was hoping it might actually be released this year prior to the latest updates from the developer. Now it seems as far off as ever. Really, adding more major features?

James

+1

I am quite disappointed. That's all I can say...

I can't really understand why people get so angry about this sort of thing.  I've lived my entire life so far without this product and not having it has made no significant difference to my life.  I understand how much people are looking forward to it, so am I, but I can't see why it causes so much stress.  Now if I'd pre-paid for it or if they'd done an Airsimmer style 'pay to beta' I'd be furious.  We have so many different addons to play with already.  Speaking for myself only, I haven't come anywhere near to exploring the full depth of my PMDG B744.  Let alone my MD-11, NGX, etc, etc.  I suppose I must just be a bit strange.

Ultimately, if waiting really causes so much stress, perhaps those affected should express their displeasure by boycotting the product when/if it's released.  That will teach them.  Oh - and don't forget LDS and their 757 for FSX.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)