JDHI

No ATC voice

Radar Contact 4.3 3845

System Spec:

1.) OS Windows 7 64bit

2.) RAM 16 Gig Cosair Vengence
3.) Video card MSI Twin Frozr Radeon HD 7950

4.) No overclocking

5.) Hard drive Western Digital Caviar 1 TB (96% free space)
6.)  Radar Contact 4.3 3845

7.) FSX with SP2 plus Acceleration

8.) Internet connection active

9.) McAfee antivirus
10.) Firewall turned off when using FSX
11.) FUSICP 4.9 (updated May 8, 2013)

Problem:     I open REX Essential, then FSX, then after starting and opening the flight to the gate, I open Radar Contact.    It's worked great since my initial purchase, but with my new system (above) I have no ATC voice.   The data box appears on the screen with the aircraft, but no ATC voice....    no AI either now that I think of it.    A couple of times I saw a "run time error 76", but other times, it just quit running and FSX then crashes along with it.   I open my task manager and it shows REX operating fine, FSX not running, and Radar Contact not running.    I have to close Radar Contact and FSX.  

FSX runs fine on FSX radio so long as I do not open Radar Contact.   

All programs including Radar Contact are run "as administrator".

Thanks in advance for any help.

JD

it would be important to know what the run time error you're getting is.

two questions

are you running rc as admin, right mouse clicking the icon, clicking run as administrator. running as an account that is an administrator isn't good enough. either is an account in the administrator group. you have to run as administrator. every single time

the other thing, is there a non alpha non numeric character in the gate? look on the controller's page. or look in the .pln

if neither of those help, make a log file and send it to me. it's the only way I can help you solve the problem on your machine.

jd

runtime error 76 is "path not found" but also can indicate non-allowed access to files or folders.

First, just to check audio set-up you can then start RC without FS, bring up the voices tab, highlight one, and click the speaker icon. This should play the sample audio through your wav mixer on your sound card.

The quickest way to allow RC to get the folders it needs is to set up a shortcut to it, right click on it, and set its security properties to run as admin. That is not a user privilege setting but a program level security setting. RC needs this for several reasons including updating the scenery database. In Win 7 anything installed in a program files folder and the hierarchy tree under it gets extra protection so if you have FS installed this way RC needs this special privilege. I recommend FS be started the same way as other apps involving FS.

I assume you did on your move to Win 7 an RC installation as opposed to just moving the files. That would have required in this case a new key and if you have not changed your user data then the auto-registration procedure should work.

Be sure your FS path was stated correctly in your scenery rebuild prompt and in RC settings for your wx-flt paths (where your flight plans are stored).

After your initial RC install update FSUIPC from:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66139-updated-modules/

and makerwys.exe from:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66136-useful-additional-programs/

and then redo the RC scenery rebuild.

You mention no AI. If you are a user of UT2, then it might need the same startup privilege. The same goes for any ai installers.

See how you get along.

JD     I saw only your note before giving it a go.    PHNL   KSJC    Level D 767-300ER    The flight completed, but no ATC voice start to end.     At the end, I saw a dialog box with "Run Time Error 52".      I have created a log file per your directions, but I have no idea how to attach it, so I sent it via e-mail to the address in the "How to create a log file" directions.

Ron, I'll try your suggestions next time.

Many thanks to you both.

JDH

Error 52 is bad file name or number.

The log file is too big even as a zip to attach here. e-mail as you did is best.

What flight planner are you using?

This a.m., with RC / FSX running with right click "run as administrator" and incorporating your suggestions, no ATC voice.     I double checked the .FLT/.WX path.   It had defaulted back to "C" and not to my flight plan folder.    I repeated the selection process "user / JD / my documents / Flight Simulator X Files".    It just reverts back to "C" allowing my problem to continue.    I have no voice upon clicking the individual controllers in RC either.

If I could get .FLT/WX to remain on the FSX files folder, it possibly would work, but it just keeps reverting to "C"......

I'm sorry I'm such a computer illiterate and a continued pain, but I really enjoy RC and hope I can get it working.

Many thanks

JDH

It does not look like you are being allowed write/modify access to your RC folders and files since your path data is not accepted. The other possibility is you are not inputting the data correctly.

The flt-wxr path is set by browsing to your flight plan folder and clicking OK. If you close that window or cancel out of it in can corrupt your rcv3.dat file where those paths are stored. It also has your last plan loaded successfully into RC.

Here is a copy of mine (Yours will be different since I use FS9 and Win XP)):

Sun Contry Airlines Inc - USA,suncountry,1, 1 , 30 , 20 , 50 , 1000 , 0 , 9.999999E+27 , 10 , 0 , 1 , 1 , 0 , 1 , 0 , 1 , 200               , 1200 , 0 ,, 0 ,C:\Documents and Settings\Ron Ginsberg\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files\KSTL-KMSP.PLN
 1800 , 1800 , 1800

0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0
 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0
C:\Documents and Settings\Ron Ginsberg\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files

Make a safe copy of this file and open it in notepad. If you have any references to john dekker in this file it means it has not been modified since install. I marked in bold the information of interest. The first bold area is the last loaded flight plan. The second is the flt/wxr path as set by RC's browser.

Be sure this file is not made read only.

Start with your RCv4 or RCv4x folder icon, not the shortcut. Right click on that and select properties. Do you see any read only attributes set? Then check the files and folders within.

Here's my rcv3.dat file.     It is not marked "read only".    I notice it doesn't point to the flight sim flight plan folder in the second area you highlighted.  It goes back to the C:.... MS games\ FSX.   This is what I see in the FLT/WX path window.

American Airlines - USA,AMERICAN,4, 4 , 15 , 30 , 10 , 1000 , 0 , 0 , 10 , 0 , 1 , 1 , 1 , 1 , 1 , 1 , 15       , 150 , 1200 ,, 356 ,C:\Users\J D\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\USA Routes\IFR   KSFO    KMIA    B767    F100000.PLN
 1800 , 1800 , 1800
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X
 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 0

I checked the rcv4 and rcv4x file properties.    The folders are marked "read only" on both folders.   

Should I uncheck this box

JDH

Here's my rcv3.dat file. It is not marked "read only". I notice it doesn't point to the flight sim flight plan folder in the second area you highlighted. It goes back to the C:.... MS games\ FSX. This is what I see in the FLT/WX path window.

American Airlines - USA,AMERICAN,4, 4 , 15 , 30 , 10 , 1000 , 0 , 0 , 10 , 0 , 1 , 1 , 1 , 1 , 1 , 1 , 15 , 150 , 1200 ,, 356 ,C:\Users\J D\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\USA Routes\IFR KSFO KMIA B767 F100000.PLN

1800 , 1800 , 1800

I checked the rcv4 and rcv4x file properties. The folders are marked "read only" on both folders.

Should I uncheck this box

JDH

First the easiest. Uncheck those read only attributes on those folders and files. You might have to log in as an administrator to do that. However, if the files themselves are not marked read only you are OK just in case you can not get rid of the folder read-only attribute.

You also may have a conflict, not sure, with different folder names for your .pln files and where FS stores the flt.wxr files. In addition your .pln file name is complex. If you need that complex name try;

KSFO-KMIA B767 IFR F100000.PLN

If F100000 represents an altitude that is outside of what RC might be able to handle nor would a B767 be able to handle that.

Your entry of C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X

is incorrect for the path to the flt-wx files you set in RC. That is the FSX path, not where FS is storing the flt-wx files which will be in your documents folder either under . See whether those .wx and .flt files are in C:\Users\J D\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\USA Routes

or

C:\Users\J D\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\

using Win Explorer, probably the second, and in RC enter that path for flt-wxr.

You only use the FSX path to place in the scenery rebuild when prompted. (I keep mine in a text document so I can copy/paste that long entry in when needed.) In your case you would paste in:

for the scenery rebuild when prompted.

Why don't you just to check place open a .pln file and via copy/paste place it in a reply here so we may as well check that out too.

Last but not least, are you saying you have two RC folders RCv4 and RCv4X? Are you an FSX and FS9 user? That is the only time you should have both. If you do run both and you do a scenery rebuild make sure you start the correct version of RC ( name a shortcut for each) and then use the correct path for the FS version for each when you do a scenery rebuild.

If you only use FSX then you can safely remove the RCv4 folder leaving RCv4X after checking that in your RCv4X folder your rcv3.dat file has the correct paths and last .pln used and the RCv4X folder has the winwood, data, script, and Tutorial folder under it.

If you decide to do a reinstall and you do not have both versions then select FSX only for the install.

I know I gave you a lot to consider but there appear to be a few discrepancies.

I gave up and did an "uninstall" and reinstalled from my program download, then I entered my key and all went well.    I deleted all flight plans and will start fresh.   Install (right click "run as administrator") created rcv4 and rcv4x folders.   Properties revealed both were "read only".   I deleted rcv4 since I only run FSX with Acceleration.    I then created a shortcut to my desktop and opened Radar Contact with the "run as administrator" selection.

RC opened normally.  

I set up my options, then went to "Voices".    I clicked a number of the controllers, but still no voices.

Since this is a new install, I thought my problem would resolve, but no such luck.

What the heck?

JD

RC plays audio through your Windows audio mixer wav slider and the master speaker volume slider. Can you play other .wav files and here the sound with other player applications?

See if you can get this to work;

Via the run item type dxdiag.exe. Using the Sound 1 and Sound 2 tabs run the tests on the various devices in the device window. press cancel to stop each test. When you press OK you should hear a "ding" on those devices that are working.

If you can't get dxdiag.exe running, in the run window type cmd and that should open a command window. Then type dxdiag into that.

FSX also has its own built in mixer. Just to insure there is no confusion, turn down the ATC slider which is FS's ATC only, not RC. The others should be low enough not to drown out RC.

The easiest test with a flight loaded into FS and with RC started with a matching .pln file is to use the ATIS or AWOS weather options and see if you can here the weather data. Try this. With your aircraft parked at the gate, avionics on, bring up the RC application. Click the debug option to create the log file. Load your flight plan origin at the same parked location. Click the start button. In FS enter the key for one of the weather options. Now alt-tab until you get to the main RC window. Press the quit button and your log will be saved. You can then close FSX.

Now when entering the numeric selection in flight from the RC window, The FS window usually an aircraft panel or view must be in front or hot typically by clicking somewhere on the aircraft panel, not within the RC menu window. Do not make the RC menu window hot as that will not allow keystrokes to go through. Run these tests with RC and FS running only, no other add-on. Use a default aircraft for testing.

Also, are you still getting error codes?

Hi Ron  

Yes, all other programs have normal sounds. 

I did as you requested with FSX and RC.   I deselected all ATC options in FSX.     I used a default A310.    The RC window appears normally.       I selected the wx option and it did not play.    I selected the clearance option.    No sound, but it did advance to "push back and start engines" and "ground control".     No sounds.

Engine sounds are normal.     I did not see an error message.

JDH

Engine sounds are from FS via DirectX and your audio card. RC audio is via your wav mixer. All are affected by your master audio (speaker) mixer.

Here are some of my option and voice settings:

Copilot and Prerecorded Chatter settings are similar. I usually have precorded chatter off as that is independent of AI and just adds to the audio load. The sliders in the voice settings are speed of speech. Leftmost is the fastest and recommemded to prevent the "robotic" voice effect.

When you click the name of a controller voice it should play through your system.

Ron, we have nearly identical settings.    I have "pilot autoreply" checked also.    RC has worked perfectly for me until I did the new download / key following the purchase of my new system (specs outlined above).    No other program has given me any hassle.

My soundcard is the Soundblaster Recon3D PCIe and seems to work perfectly in all other software.

Did I get a bad download .zip this time?    It seems we've pretty much exhausted everything else.