Sign in to follow this  
FIVE-BY-FIVE

Innsbruck Austria 5gb Download FREE..WOW!

It looks amazing and great that it's free but what I don't understand is why it is 5GB in size for a relatively small area. I downloaded scenery for Dublin from simheaven and it was 8GB just for the city area (photoscenery only)!

It looks amazing and great that it's free but what I don't understand is why it is 5GB in size for a relatively small area. I downloaded scenery for Dublin from simheaven and it was 8GB just for the city area (photoscenery only)!

I guess it's because the textures are so clear and look amazing :drinks:

Looks like the XP10 autogen is working with that!  :dance:

What about the OSM roads?

Thanks.

I guess it's because the textures are so clear and look amazing

Well, they are nice but this is not the reason. It's more to do with the lack of texture compression being employed here.

Orbx and other companies release 30cm per pixel photoscenery on many of the airports and it doesn't weigh in at 5gb per scenery.

This is very nice to have but will quickly fill up your hard drive at that rate. Without being critical (as I am very appreciative that it's free!!) I'm sure there is a better way the could compress the files and maintain the quality.

The dds image format pre-compresses textures for vram at the expense of disc space. It looks visually better than on-the-fly decompressed PNG* (which has a smaller disc footprint).

*PNG will look better only if you use extreme texture resolution with texture compression off. But this comes with a huge vram hit that would render the similar unplayable in most situations.

Well, they are nice but this is not the reason. It's more to do with the lack of texture compression being employed here.

Orbx and other companies release 30cm per pixel photoscenery on many of the airports and it doesn't weigh in at 5gb per scenery.

This is very nice to have but will quickly fill up your hard drive at that rate. Without being critical (as I am very appreciative that it's free!!) I'm sure there is a better way the could compress the files and maintain the quality.

As carrotroot said, the textures ARE compressed. But in contrary to some ORBX airports, the region covered here is a 1x1° tile, which is in this case around 110x75 km2 (just measured from Google Earth out of curiosity), so no wonder that the size is 5 GB.

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

steve310002, on 23 May 2013 - 4:41 PM, said:

This is very nice to have but will quickly fill up your hard drive at that rate. Without being critical (as I am very appreciative that it's free!!) I'm sure there is a better way the could compress the files and maintain the quality.

As carrotroot said, the textures ARE compressed. But in contrary to some ORBX airports, the region covered here is a 1x1° tile, which is in this case around 110x75 km2 (just measured from Google Earth out of curiosity), so no wonder that the size is 5 GB.

Thanks for the info. It looks like I need to clear some space on my hard drive then. B)

Thanks for the info. It looks like I need to clear some space on my hard drive then. B)

they have so many countries available and it's all worth the space and download....I have downloaded half of Europe so far :lol: