Sign in to follow this  
Rebirth

Max you can get from an FX 8350?

Thanks for the informative reply.

So let's say I'm goin for an intel CPU.

Considering I don't have a desktop at the moment, should I wait for a Haswell platform (is it safe, cause of bugs and other issues, to do this during mid June = quite early?) or get the 3770k?

I'd wait till after the new intel chips come out as the older gen will be cheaper.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Wrong, wrong wrong. It's the other way around. Amd's cores shares the floating point resources between 2 cores so it can do LESS floating point calculations per core.

Are you sure?

Regardless, the underlying point is both Intel and AMD have different architectures even though they share common factors. There is no reliable (or truthful) way to do a 1:1 comparison anymore like we could do in the past. It's almost apples and oranges at this point even though Intel clearly wins in a majority of games and apps.

Are you sure?

Regardless, the underlying point is both Intel and AMD have different architectures even though they share common factors. There is no reliable (or truthful) way to do a 1:1 comparison anymore like we could do in the past. It's almost apples and oranges at this point even though Intel clearly wins in a majority of games and apps.

Yes I'm sure. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4955/the-bulldozer-review-amd-fx8150-tested/2

There are a few things (the decoders, the L1 instruction cache, less execution ports on the integer core as well as the shared floating point unit) that make AMDs 'new' architecture less efficient clock for clock compared to its own 'old' and Intels current architectures in a workload like FSX.

Different architectures are just that, different. They will always have their own weak and strong workload scenarios.

Hmm first tests of the Haswells (4770k) don't seem that encouraging right?

The temperatures are far worse compared to the Ivys :(

Maybe go for a 3770k based rig? Too early to judge?

Im about to start putting my sons new PC together it will be intel, not his choce but mine, my next upgarde if AMD get there act together wil be AMD, it works fine for me and many others I am happy with teh performance in FSX. Its teh smoothest I have ever had it Still get dips in YSSy but that is because I usually have 105 Ai planes in teh air,

fx 6300 not bad CPU for most things and got i5 3570k also. Figure, amd CPU easier to upgrade and cost is less. The single thread performance on fx6300 is about 60% of what I5 3570k is. Still, get six core to run other things I multi-task. AMD has 5.0 ghz stock CPU they are designing hoping ithe fx 8770k would hopefully reduce the need to OC as much.