Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

After restart second monitor refuses to have a display.

When I restarted my computer after an update or two installed, my monitor does not display anymore. I've already tried changing the display type from dvi to avg, but nothing happens, should I do a system restore to the point of the installation or is there something else I should try doing?

A few other things you can try.

Are you using an NVIDIA GPU? If so, go to NVIDIA control panel. Try "Set up multiple displays" or "Surround configuration." There should be an option for identifying and activating displays.

Alternatively, in Windows, depending on the version you are using, you may be able to prod the system into DETECTing the second monitor under the Display settings.

(If none of that works, and the hard restart suggested above doesn't work -- I recently found I needed to clear the motherboard's CMOS and reapply the motherboard settings to get all the monitors detected after changing the GPU.)

Vic

It does work on restart, but turns off with the no display warning after windows loads, does that tell something? My card is an ATI Radeon HD, forgot the number but willl look it up later. 5870 I think, but am not positive.

Does your windows control pane and/or your ATI Catalyst control panel recognize your monitor? That's where you should start your troubleshooting.