Sign in to follow this  
JimmiG

Service Pack 1 is out

-36c@FL260 is considered ISA conditions on your performance chart. Your TRUE airspeed is not the same as you ground speed unless the winds are at ZERO. There is a true airspeed readout under your IAS tape. No need to fly in circles, instead simply use fsuipc to "clear all weather"....or use the clear weather theme in the fsx weather menu.

Here is an update from a real world (systems related) prospective on SP1.

I simply did a quick run around the patch to test out the systems and I can only assume that the TAS issue has been addressed from the look at most posts.  First off, the Ignition AUTO issue seems to have been fixed.  The appropriate annunciations are showing for the relative switch positions.  The inertial separator now seems to be affect the torque as it should but has no affect on ITT.  When the INERT SEP switch is in the up (ON) position, one should be observe a decrease in torque and an increase in ITT.  The opposite should take place in the down (OFF) position. They have now also completely omitted any INERT SEP annunciation, I'm not sure how that happened, but hopefully they can fix that issue with the next patch.

The AUX BOOST PUMP is still working incorrectly and showing the wrong annunciation in the AUTO position.  And last but not least, the pulsing landing lights are now working, however the landing light switches have to be in the ON position which is incorrect, and when the lights are pulsing, the green annunciations on the landing light switches should also pulse in conjunction with the actual landing lights.

All in all, Carenado is looking in the right direction, and I believe with a little more work and attention to detail, another patch or two could make this airplane a really good addition to the fleet.

As always, if anybody would like to ask any questions regarding the real world operation of the TBM, feel free to ask.

Safe Skies

-Seth-

They have now also completely omitted any INERT SEP annunciation

My CAS still shows it when in use, and my AUX pump annunciations are working correctly as well. Maybe you had a bad install? A quick tip to all is; If you bought it from Carenado Direct, the best way to apply SP's (from my personal experience), is to uninstall the beta ( :huh: ) , then re-dload the full installer from Carenado and install that instead of applying an SP.

Oh, and the NG thing during start up is still there.

2. I'd like to see the sounds improved during the transition from spool-up to full engine start. Currently the process is much to fast and abrupt and is not realistic enough.

Just about all the Tprops from everyone suffers this same fate. I've been associated with sound recording in my past, and sound is a side interest of mine with FSX. I've made sound sets before, and I'm still in the process of understanding what FSX is doing with sound. I can say that the sound system in FSX is really, really good, even by todays standards. From what I've seen, Devs haven't even scratched the surface of what FSX can do with sounds.

The problem with start up is, FSX will move to the next sound once combustion starts... so somehow, a delay needs to be induced between comstart and combustion, so that the comstart file will play it's length. Carenados start up section is one of the best I've ever seen by a dev (outside of sound only devs). Usually, the "starter" section is too short. A good example is, if you forget to turn on the fuel. When you hit the starter in a Tprop, you shouldn't hear the starter "start over".. it should keep cranking until you either turn on the fuel, or release the starter (noncombustion in FSX system-ees). Carenado didn't do a noncombustion section for the TBM, but can be added with the "shutdown" sound with something like FS sound Studio.

Ok, I'm rambbling.. sorry! In a nutshell, it's a little complex, but I can understand it from their point of view... The plane itself is complex enough without the headache of the sound.

My CAS still shows it when in use, and my AUX pump annunciations are working correctly as well. Maybe you had a bad install? A quick tip to all is; If you bought it from Carenado Direct, the best way to apply SP's (from my personal experience), is to uninstall the beta ( :huh: ) , then re-dload the full installer from Carenado and install that instead of applying an SP.

Oh, and the NG thing during start up is still there.

Noted!  Thanks for the tip.  I'll report back after another go at it.  Glad to see that Carenado is still working on the bird.  Out of the aircraft I've flown in the real world, the TBM is by far the most fun.  She is a real pilot's airplane.

Ok, I'm rambbling.. sorry! In a nutshell, it's a little complex, but I can understand it from their point of view... The plane itself is complex enough without the headache of the sound.

Yea, but the sound is a hugely important aspect of any simulation, especially when there is no physical feedback involved such as with FSX...I wish devs would give it more serious consideration. There is a JET I remember that did the startup better than anything I ever heard before...think it may have been the Phenom from Feelthere...it was awesome compared to any other sequence. I'm curious about the J41 and if that startup sequence is simulated well or not as far as the sounds.

...anyway...some sound guru must be able to figure it out (hint to Hawk :rolleyes: )

All in all, Carenado is looking in the right direction, and I believe with a little more work and attention to detail, another patch or two could make this airplane a really good addition to the fleet.

I hope you report the issues to Carenado so they can fix them in SP2  B)

Looks like there are some big improvements with this update. For me, the cruise speed was the biggest issue that prevented me from buying it..But it's obviously nice if all the systems work as close to the real ones as possible within the constraints of the sim.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

...anyway...some sound guru must be able to figure it out (hint to Hawk )

LOL!  I wish I was! I'd have uploaded a fix on the first night!

In fact, as I write this, I have been pouring over XML code, liveries, and sound files...  Let me tell you all... this one is a whopper!

The sound thing with start up is driving me nuts. When you turn off the starter (with fuel off), it just stops. There should be a kind of wind down effect like non_combustion. They

define a "false" start in the combustion section, but have no clue what triggers that with a TProp.

I'll keep at it.

---

Green indicator LEDs for the other light switches: This one is not as easy as I thought it would be... It's buried in XML code... AKA, I Don't Know This Sh%T code. Maybe one of you

XML'ers can find that. This is also the place where the pesky pump and igniter switches are buried as well.

The "500" feet guy sound is in the fsx/sound/carenado/CarSoundTBM850 folder.  To me it sounds like he was in the sewer when they recorded that one, so I stole one from another

plane... A really fast corporate one. :ph34r:    The "Traffic!" guy wont shut up until the nearby aircraft has crossed the face of the planet... but the plane cost 3+ mil, so I understand.

The good thing is... This one isn't too far off.  I understand that those of you who know some of this stuff may sit on the sidelines.. they aint paying you to fix their stuff.

Here is an update from a real world (systems related) prospective on SP1.

I simply did a quick run around the patch to test out the systems and I can only assume that the TAS issue has been addressed from the look at most posts. First off, the Ignition AUTO issue seems to have been fixed. The appropriate annunciations are showing for the relative switch positions. The inertial separator now seems to be affect the torque as it should but has no affect on ITT. When the INERT SEP switch is in the up (ON) position, one should be observe a decrease in torque and an increase in ITT. The opposite should take place in the down (OFF) position. They have now also completely omitted any INERT SEP annunciation, I'm not sure how that happened, but hopefully they can fix that issue with the next patch.

The AUX BOOST PUMP is still working incorrectly and showing the wrong annunciation in the AUTO position. And last but not least, the pulsing landing lights are now working, however the landing light switches have to be in the ON position which is incorrect, and when the lights are pulsing, the green annunciations on the landing light switches should also pulse in conjunction with the actual landing lights.

-Seth-

I think I may have some CAS issues still. I did a fresh install yesterday after SP1. I do not have any CAS ignition msgs. What is the ignition CAS supposed to do? - and the "Boost Pump On" msg does not go off or change when I switch the pump to auto......

I also have seem to lose all "Inert Sep" CAS warnings...

Is anyone else seeing this? Its strange because I didn't just install the patch, I completely reinstalled the aircraft......

Rich

Also, Is it possible to do an overlay mod of the landing lights as was done on the B200? The taxi light looks so much better......

I just checked again with the CAS alerts, and mine is working like it's suppoeds to be.

All I can tell you is, make sure you FULLY uninstall it (including deleting the Carenado_TBM850 folder in FXS), and just re-dload the  the full plane from Carenado.

Hawk...is my CAS acting differently than yours?

1.My aux bp CAS message stays "on" in yellow, even when aux bp switch is in auto setting

2.My Inert Sep switch will activate a yellow "ignition" CAS warning message for a couple seconds after switching the inert sep on, but there is nothing else on cas to let me know its on after the ignition warning goes away.

Hangar:

Yea, yours is still not right. My CAS Alerts;

1.)   FBP message is ON in CAS when FPB switch is in full ON position.

2.)   FBP message is OFF in CAS when FBP switch in AUTO position.

3.)   Same as 1 & 2 for Ignition switch.

1a.)   Inert message is ON in CAS when switch is in ON position.

2a.)   Inert message is OFF in CAS when switch is in OFF position.

-------

Sound update;

The RW TBM takes exactly 40 seconds to go from start switch on to full running. It takes 9 seconds for NG to run up to the fuel introduction point, and the beginning of "combustion".

Sadly, this can't be done with the sound system... BUT... it has been done for FS2004 by Tom Gibson ( http://www.calclassic.com ) using Doug Dawson's sound gauge and XML coding.The infamous DD gauge was used to add click sounds in the Turbine Duke, and RealAir extended that to the legacy. So it CAN be done. In fact this opens a whole new world in FSX sound management. Carenado used this technique to add click sounds to the TBM switches (but they half as'ed it of course, as some don't click  :fool: )

This... is way above my pay grade at the moment. So now I guess I have to learn gauge building and XML coding if I want to contribute in the sound realm of the FSX universe.

A long and painful proccess similar to having ones wisdom teeth pulled out with a pair of pliers... LOL.

About the best sound DEV's I've seen are TSS and Oovee. I might drop an email to both, and see if the opportunity is interesting to them. 

Doesn't Bert know XML?

about the cas/patch issue...I hate to use up one of my downloads for the full installer (carenado only allows 2)...how the heck does carenado get away with NOT mentioning anything about this and not re-releasing a patch that works properly???

They just dont give a damn, or what?...I don't get it...seems irresponsible to my way of thinking. No communication at all.

They are frustrating, but i give them some cred in that this patch was out pretty fast.

My hunch is that, if you made ANY mods, like we have been talking about with speed mods, the patch doesn't work right. Maybe even something as simple

as changing the model name to socata can screw it up.. who knows... but this is why I've developed the habit of just uninstalling it fully, and starting from

scratch.