Sign in to follow this  
awralls

FSRoads UK & Ireland

Guest allcott

Yes, I'm interested too, but I already have USA Roads installed and after changing all the default road files and directories to accommodate the American road network I'm a little nervous about attempting the same thing with FS Roads in case it needs files that USA Roads has moved or overwritten or something. Is it a self-contained scenery package? There's precious little information and no FAQ on the FS Roads website and the before/after shots only seem to cover Sweden, which is nice if your Swedish, but not if you're flying from Fairoaks!Plus I would want to use FS Roads with VFR Terrain, which I held off purchasing pending FS patches. VFR Terrain and FS Roads would seem to be the `dream team` for FS9.1 for UK flyers - about 1/4 the cost of the VFR Photographic scenery but with full autogen and seasonality!Allcott

Guest allcott

Slipped to page 4 already! Allcott

Guest Whisperjet

Guys,Loaded this last night....scale of 1 to 10 I would give a 7. Ok I have only spent a short time around Glasgow airport and over to Loch Lomond where I live, but it was good to follow the motorway with its on/off ramps all the way over the River Clyde and then along some smaller roads to see the small cul-de-sac I stay in.There are a couple of artery roads missing and a perimeter road round the airport just catches the edge of an apron but on the whole well worth it...nice eye candy from a height and also visible during the hours of darkness at around 3000 feet.Ok give it an 8 :(

Guest allcott

Thanks Ian, really helpful. Does it install as a standalone or does it modify default scenery files and are you using it with any other UK scenery addons like VFR Terrain, UK2000 and the like?Think it might be worth the risk as it is no great loss if it doesn't fit with VFR Terrain, but if it mullahed Gary's addon airports I'd be hesitant!Allcott

Guest Whisperjet

Allcott,It appears to be standalone...comes in a .exe file and makes its own folder under FS9/scenery. Don't have any addon scenery for the UK...just use mesh from Lago.PS they give you an option (for EUR3.99) to keep your registration for a year (in case you lose it!?!?) but when you download it tells you that your registration is valid for 10 downloads.Hope this helps!

Guest victorwest

Does anybody know what data they have used to produce the scenery?Victor

Guest Anthony_D

I'd be interested in where he gets his data too. If it's a free source of data, there's every chance that we'll see a lot more of this kind of scenery in the near future. It would be interesting to know if this data exists for railways, rivers, lakes and coastlines.He also seems to release new scenery at a fair rate of knots - much faster than the rate I release my scenery packages for NW England. It suggests he has some high productivity tools.Anthony Dyer

Guest danowat

Thanks for that Ian, might take the plunge ;)CheersDan.

One further comment from a generally satisfied user... Whatever the algorithm used to generate the roads is, it does not properly translate the road type reliably. For example, I live in Wensleydale in North Yorkshire, and the main road through the dale, the A684, is shown as a dual carriageway which it most certainly isn't. The single carriageway roads are extremely wide and do look somewhat clumsy. Having said that, I found the completeness to be very good. I live at the end of what is basically a farm track and that is shown correctly, which I didn't expect. It really does make VFR nav quite satisfying, but it also shows up the limitation of the default rivers and railways, which are often demonstrably wildly out of place...but then you knew that already, I guess.CheersAndy