Sign in to follow this  
woodhick

Remembering Meigs

Just a couple of quick snaps from todays flight from Coleman Young Airport Detroit MI to Chicago Meigs.  Aerosoft Cities X, Active Sky 2012 and Milviz Baron B-55

DAN-PC-2013-may-23-019.jpg

DAN-PC-2013-may-23-025.jpg

Chicago skyline.....marvelous!

HLJAMES

I'd like to bulldoze that mayor's house like he bulldozed one of the best airports ever.

I'd like to bulldoze that mayor's house like he bulldozed one of the best airports ever.

+1, and now (to the best of my knowledge) that ground sits there doing essentially nothing productive.

Which Daley approved closing the airport on the lake side. The people complained on the north side of the noise. At least Clevland one still around.

Yep, many of us learned to fly the sim at Meigs. Remember the Bears games at the 3d stadium along the water front? How about dodging downtown skyscrapers trying mightily to NOT crack the windscreen! FS was the first game I bought a joystick for on the Apple 2e.

Great Shots!  Even though ive never been to Chicago, It was sad to see this airport go.

Rob

Which Daley approved closing the airport on the lake side. The people complained on the north side of the noise. At least Clevland one still around.

Hi Giz.  Quoting Wikipedia: "In 1994, Mayor Richard M. Daley announced plans to close the airport and build a park in its place on Northerly Island."  It is my understanding he literally had bulldozers do a stealth raid at night to cut the runway in several places and in fact several airplanes were caught on the ground.

Hi Giz.  Quoting Wikipedia: "In 1994, Mayor Richard M. Daley announced plans to close the airport and build a park in its place on Northerly Island."  It is my understanding he literally had bulldozers do a stealth raid at night to cut the runway in several places and in fact several airplanes were caught on the ground.

Just to clarify (in case anyone else muttered something like.....my, only seems like a few years ago to me!), the actually bulldozing act didn't happen until March 30, 2003.

Cheers

Paul Golding

bulldozing act didn't happen until March 30, 2003

Yeah, like you said Paul "only seems like yesterday"  Once you hit 70 (like me) 10 years equals yesterday.  The Viet Nam War was last week.  I could go on but you get the idea.

Thanks for bringing back great memory's Dan,As a Chicagoan I used to love to go to 12th street and watch Beautiful GA Aircraft buzz into KCGX at tree-top level,It was really one of The Unique Jewels of American Aviation.I really miss it.  

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Beautiful shots Dan !! It's been a long time since saw Meigs Field, used to spend most of my time there in my early FS days. :smile:

Adam

HP Omen Obelisk Gaming Computer, Intel Core i7-9700, Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 System Memory 4.7GHz 8 cores, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super Graphics with 8GB GDDR6 memory, PSU 750 watts, 1TB hard drive, Samsung T7 2TB SSD, 512 GB SSD, WD 5TB HDD,  Logitech HOTAS X52 Pro Joystick, AOC 27" monitor,

Thanks for the kind conversation guys.  The shots brought forth more and different commentary than the usual "great shot, beautiful"  yadda times 3.  A slightly different one of short final (Cessna 182) is, at present, my desktop wallpaper.  Great scenery indeed.