Sign in to follow this  
mr340

Anyone ever seen any animals in FSX?

In one of the missions, I think it was introduction to Mountain Flying that I seen a bear cross the runway. 

I think it was introduction to Mountain Flying that I seen a bear cross the runway.

That's possible; in the Yakutat mission there is even the danger of bears being on the RWY while you're on approach with an engine failure, IIRC.

I thought I saw some jackalopes in between Salt Lake City and Wendover, NV. Have to fly real low to see them.

What type of aircraft did you have or better yet which one would you choose from to get a better view of them ?

I find plenty of animals in Orbx scenery, from birds to cows... I once had to go-around because there were a bunch of cows in a runway.

Cows in a runway hehe that is funny . I could imagine how hard it was to land with cows in a runway lol. I would like to fly that approach . 

There are very few animals in the FSX default scenery.

You can add a variety of static animals with payware scenery from PacSim, for example (bush-flying).

Various moving animals are included in a scenery/mission addon for Africa (from Aerosoft).

And ORBX employs creature flow in their FTX products.

That bird flock effect is used by many addon airports developers.

Am going to check out ORBX today. I am going to check out FTX Fall City see what i can find .

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

Cows on any rural landclass in FSX would be great. Could some developer please make CowX?

Barry Friedman

Cows on any rural landclass in FSX would be great. Could some developer please make CowX?

Buy Orbx scenery like I did, then buy Instant Scenery like I did...and then go and grab animals from the bgl's in payware and the default fsx and place them wherever you like.  I have tons of stuff all over the place....most I can't share as freeware due to copy-write issues.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Funny indeed! :D

It happens in the Longview Ranch scenery from ORBX.

Wawo Orbx makes you wonder some time is this FSX or Some other simulator the quality work they bring in their stuff is amazing. It is like they are creating a world like the SIMS . Long time ago we didn't even had people now with Orbx is a brand new world. I think am going to do some shopping today at FTX . LongView Scenery from ORBX makes you think like if you were on vacation with your family at that scenery . I can't wait till FTX Global gets release .

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

Abacus offers a freeware app that can take mission scenery and turn it into add-on scenery.  I used the FSX Mission tool and the Abacus app to make orcas and dolphins swimming around the San Juan Islands. 

The FSX scenery library contains orcas, humpback whales, dolphins, birds, bears, elephants. zebras, sheep, giraffe, and people.  I don't know that all of them can be animated.

http://lc0277.gratisim.fr/sceneobjects/

You might want to look in \simobjects\animals dir for the 6 default animals. Zebras? My \misc dir has one TBM Ghost. Maybe that's what we have been crashing into and didn't know it!

Dave

Buy Orbx scenery like I did, then buy Instant Scenery like I did...and then go and grab animals from the bgl's in payware and the default fsx and place them wherever you like.  I have tons of stuff all over the place....most I can't share as freeware due to copy-write issues.

Too bad it's not shareable -- though if it did not actually the objects from the payware libraries (just their placement) then it would be? Anyway, good suggestion, thank you.

Barry Friedman

You also see birds around thermals depending on your settings. I have no idea if they can be found outside of these missions since I've never revisited the areas, but my guess is no unless you have scenery which includes it.

In the FSX weather settings, the setting "natural" for thermal visualization means that thermals are indicated by circling birds. This happens outside of missions.

But all they are doing is marking the thermals. No thermals, no birds.

True. Also, they can be very hard to spot.

I'm still flying arouind hawaii and there are no birds. Don't get me wrong, I'm sort of glad there are no birds lol They'd also be a drag on my 4 year old 1 gig card ;)

Althougn it would be nice to see flocks take off as I fly over.

Long way from DAZ man, LOL. Welcome!!

As for animals, I was really dissapointed when I discovered they were only in missions when FSX first came out.

one of my scenery projects is some wildlife parks in Africa with photoreal ground, autogen and I started making new optimized animal models complete with LODs to help with performance since my goal is herds of them around the runways. I have new elephants, giraffes, zebras, flamingos, water buffalo and rhinos so far. here is an example. While some of these are animated along with sounds, my goal is to get them walking realistically.

wildlife.jpg

Best, Michael

KDFW