Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MJoyce92

Follow me car

just a quick question dose anybody know how often and in what circumstances airlines use follow me cars when taxing to the gates ?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I think mainly on small airports, which maybe don't even have fixed parking spots. At Innsbruck for example aircraft are guided by follow-me cabs in order to get more planes parked, if that's necessary, otherwise I think that pilots may move to the parking position at own discretion (not sure whether the second part is really true or not, I've read that, but cant remember where).

It could also be possible that follow me cars are used at larger airports, in case someone gets lost.

I heard they are mainly used in Europe and Middle East.  If you search Google for Follow-Me Cars you'll find a few hits and some explanations.  I saw that England implemented the cars as there were just too many aircraft accidents on the ground during taxi and the follow-on cars have substantially reduced the problem.  Sometimes pilots get lost at airports they are not familiar with so a follow-on car is sent if requested.  For me, in FSX, they almost always helpful as it is sometimes difficult for me to rapidly understand the Ground Controller when he/she provides taxiing instructions w/o pen and paper in hand when they are issued.

Best regards,

Jim