Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

New to FS9, a few questions please

Guest GetCarter

Hi all - haven't done any simming for well over a year but just bought COF. Looks good! However I do have a couple of questions:I used to get shiny chrome textures on some aircraft in FS2002, but don't get them now. The water doesn't look particularly reflective either, despite what I read about it. Am I missing something?I don't seem to be able to operate the rudder keys in flight. On the ground, you can see the rudder move from side to side, in the air nothing much happens.Many thanks in advance for any help!AMD 2400/700mb+ RAM/Radeon 9600 PRO******************************************************************************************

I am also a recent purchaser of FS9, and I am impressed overall. The only thing that bothered me for a while was the framerates (but i'm hoping the patch will clear all that up). As for the reflective chrome textures, I think it all has something to do with the alpha layers that aircraft painters use - it's up to their discretion whether or not alpha will be used, and how much. The water textures are a bit different as well, but I think it's for the better (more realistic). Depending on the time of day you fly, you shouldn't see too much shine (like in the middle of the day). At dawn, or sunset, however, you should see a dramatic reflection of the sun. Make sure your water setting are either medium or high (under settings/display in FS9). The rudder keys? Well, I don't remember seeing them "visibly" work in flight in FS2002 either, but that's to be expected - to see any noticable rudder deflection with the wind pressure would signal a serious problem in real life lol. Hope this clears any questions up. Cheers!George

Try some of the water effects settings under options / settings / display.It is a matter of taste as to which setting is best for you..

Bert

One other issue I've noticed with FS9 is that I can't seem to get that "haze" effect (whether I'm using realweather or not) that everyone else has seemed to get. I figured that it must have something to do with my weather settings, so I went so far as to max all the weather settings, but to no avail. I still have a very sharp contrasting horizon. Can anyone (that does manage to get this effect) give me some pointers? Does it have anything to do with the terrain?

Tried that too, Bert, but unfortunately, the only result I get is sharp textures to a certain point, then blurry textures thereafter - and it seems that the visibility cannot be lowered below 60 miles...George

Guest Kurt

The visibilty can be set down to 1/16mi.World/weather/customize weatherKurt M

Thanks for the suggestion Kurt. I actually just tried that option (after also getting the same advice from a friend of mine). However, after setting the visibility to 2 miles (to see what would happen), I got an awful rendition. Perhaps it's better if I include a picture to illustrate what I mean - still no haze, but a lot of solid gray.Georgehttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/94098.jpg

Are you flying with 32 colors? Options/settings/display/hardware, set to 1280x960x32 or such...Here is a screen shot from my system with nvidia ti4200-128 and 61.76drivers

Bert